Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Verified False] I THINK THE MID RANGE MODEL 3 IS A SOFTWARE LIMITED LONG RANGE BATTERY PACK!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The label on my Model 3 Long Range RWD says its Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) as: 4,806 lbs

bapxnAv.jpg

Website Model 3 Spec says Mid range RWD is: 3,686 lbs.

View attachment 345142

If they are the same battery, they should have about the same weight.

Not if some of the batteries in the pack aren't there! which is what Elon indicated. He said it was Tesla's way to provide a mid-range car at a lower price point than the AWDs in time for people who wanted/needed a car before the end of the year. Otherwise the new standard battery (~200 range) would be ready in 2019.

Reactions: neroden
Since they have only 2 production lines, they can't have 3 options.
Modern assembly lines can switch between options fairly easily. They've only ever had one line for the Model S and Model X and have multiple combinations of drive units and batteries available for them.
This also proves that LR AWD P is just software. Once demand for the LR AWD fades, I'm guessing they will start an MR AWD and MR AWD P. And then SR RWD after MR RWD. SR AWD will be the last option to be manufactured. And since that's what I want, I don't see it happening before Q3 2019. So with a heavy heart, I just cancelled my inline reservation.
The good news is that you'll be able to order it without a reservation in Q1 when you find out you're wrong.

I think the mid range battery pack is a software limited long range battery pack that can be upgraded for a fee in the future! Elon loves this kind of stuff! What do you think guys?
I can see where you would get that idea based on the modelS 60. That was done to avoid the development cost and manufacture changes on a limited number of cars that tesla committed to sell before cancelling the model. The midrange and standard range cars will not be like that special situation

The label on my Model 3 Long Range RWD says its Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) as: 4,806 lbs

bapxnAv.jpg

View attachment 345142

Don’t compare GVWR to GVW. Makes no sense. One is a rating and one is a weight. The GVWR is what it is allowed to weigh before it is over loaded. The GVW is the weight of the vehicle empty. A one ton truck typically has a GVWR of 1300 pounds and weighs around 7400 pounds.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Don’t compare GVWR to GVW. Makes no sense. One is a rating and one is a weight. The GVWR is what it is allowed to weigh before it is over loaded. The GVW is the weight of the vehicle empty. A one ton truck typically has a GVWR of 1300 pounds and weighs around 7400 pounds.
Not sure I can follow your math. Could you recalculate?

bapxnAv.jpg

View attachment 345142

Weight and GVWR are very different things. GVWR is max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, that’s what the car can weigh at it’s maximum when fully loaded (to its max)

Since they have only 2 production lines, they can't have 3 options. So, it just MR RWD and LR AWD. This also proves that LR AWD P is just software. Once demand for the LR AWD fades, I'm guessing they will start an MR AWD and MR AWD P. And then SR RWD after MR RWD. SR AWD will be the last option to be manufactured. And since that's what I want, I don't see it happening before Q3 2019. So with a heavy heart, I just cancelled my inline reservation.

Unequivocally false.

Since they have only 2 production lines, they can't have 3 options. So, it just MR RWD and LR AWD.
I guess you've never been inside a flexible assembly plant where multiple models are built in the same line and even not necessarily w/the steering wheel on the same side.

I posted about this in 2011 at Choose 2012 Prius Five or 2012 Elantra Limited? and in 2004 at what factory/plant for right hand drive z350 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion. This is for plant visits I made in 2001 and 2003.

Even Assembly Line Flexibility Sets Japanese Apart from 1990 says "Not only can Mazda build four, five or even six different cars on the same assembly line, it can also have two or three of those complicated lines running inside the same factory. Without sacrificing quality."

and
show multiple different models on the same line. In the latter, if you can't tell the vehicles apart, look at the roofs at 1:50 and later on, look carefully for the gas filler door on the left rear fender of same vehicles and not others.

Last edited: