Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 10 Range Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I know this has been heavily posted about already, but recently I charged to 100% for a trip and maxed out at 292 miles in a one-year old LR DM Model 3 (with 13,000 miles) that had previously topped out at 307 miles. The precipitous drop, pretty much over night, prompted me to call Tesla, where one employee said, "there was an algorithm adjustment that they should have told you guys about." Over email, however, it was pretty much a stonewall. "The battery is fine. This is normal. Range estimates will continuously change over time."

If Tesla needs to protect me or my car by lowering the range somehow, that's a little disappointing, but I accept they know best. I'd like them to say that, though, which they won't. I still love the car, I can still road trip in it, but 15 miles is not an insignificant loss.

It’s not necessarily a loss. The rated range estimate has never been accurate and I wouldn’t rely on it. Rather, look at how much actual range you get with the same wh/mi value if you’re curious to know about your battery degradation. Also, the colder temperatures impact battery efficiency. Once I changed the display setting to “percentage” I stopped worrying about the shifting rated range number.

For an ICE vehicle, would you rather rely on the fuel gauge or the trip computer displaying how far you can travel with the gas in the tank? If your phone had a toggle to show how many more minutes you could operate the phone rather than show you the SOC, would you enable it?
Tesla is probably doing itself a disservice by having the rated range adapt to average wh/mi over time. Maybe at some point owners will have the option to reset the rated range to factory settings.

Reactions: Smoofv
Welcome in the world of capitalism in which betray or cancellation of marketing promises are considered normal unless one goes to court.
Some companies are testing what customers accept, I think Tesla is one of these.
I am glad that not only my P85D is part of this plot.

Last edited:
Maybe if ICE vehicles followed this approach, role wouldn’t falsely believe their Prius gets 54 MPG every time they drive, regardless of where or how they drive - and that a 5+ year old car also has “range loss”.