Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Encouraging Ride with FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't wait until the next weekly summary to post something about yesterday's trip. My 2020 Model X drove me from my home to a restaurant on the other side of Colonial Williamsburg, negotiating seven turns, some tricky, with numerous lights, stop signs, and lane changes, with minimal intervention on my part. Most of the turns were reasonably smooth.

The return trip was likewise clean until we got to the local shopping center where it has had frequent problems. As usual, it got into the wrong lane for a right turn into the center, but luckily a hole appeared and it shifted lanes in time. Turning left onto a narrow 2-lane road to exit the shopping center, it entered the intersection, then got confused and didn't turn left per the nav plan. Next came an unprotected left turn (ULT) across four lanes of traffic. The car did a good job of waiting for a hole in the traffic and made a smooth turn. The next intersection required a right turn and prompt merge. As it has done every time (6 now), the car accelerated in the short merge lane without making any effort to merge. It would have crashed into the barrier at the end without intervention. Hard to understand such repeated erratic, dangerous behavior when it made no unsafe maneuvers earlier in the trip. I've taken numerous camera shots of that problem - hope Tesla can fix it in the next release.

All in all a very encouraging trip, even enjoyable much of the time!