Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very happy with range on road trip in my LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Started a 172 mile trip at 99% charge. Stayed around 65-68MPH most of the trip. 80% highway, 20% residential roads, 5% of them with small hills. A/C at 72 degrees, 90-93 degrees outside. Arrived at my destination with 42% charge remaining, ~135 miles. Estimate around 300 miles total range, which is close enough to 316 for me. I need to grab the final kW/mile, but when I checked during the drive, I was around 235-239. With three 150lb+ people in the car, 2 dogs, and every square inch packed with heavy bags and food for the trip (trunk, under the trunk, frunk, back seat floor, etc.) I'm more than happy with the range. There is a new v2 supercharger within 10 miles of my destination, so will top up today or tomorrow to 80%. I leave after the week, as I will be doing very little driving while here. Used Sentry last night, and it used 3% charge, and I have overheat protection on, so I will be keeping tabs on how much drain between Sentry at night, and overheat protection during the day.

Started a 172 mile trip at 99% charge. Stayed around 65-68MPH most of the trip. 80% highway, 20% residential roads, 5% of them with small hills. A/C at 72 degrees, 90-93 degrees outside. Arrived at my destination with 42% charge remaining, ~135 miles. Estimate around 300 miles total range, which is close enough to 316 for me. I need to grab the final kW/mile, but when I checked during the drive, I was around 235-239. With three 150lb+ people in the car, 2 dogs, and every square inch packed with heavy bags and food for the trip (trunk, under the trunk, frunk, back seat floor, etc.) I'm more than happy with the range. There is a new v2 supercharger within 10 miles of my destination, so will top up today or tomorrow to 80%. I leave after the week, as I will be doing very little driving while here. Used Sentry last night, and it used 3% charge, and I have overheat protection on, so I will be keeping tabs on how much drain between Sentry at night, and overheat protection during the day.[/Q
Started a 172 mile trip at 99% charge. Stayed around 65-68MPH most of the trip. 80% highway, 20% residential roads, 5% of them with small hills. A/C at 72 degrees, 90-93 degrees outside. Arrived at my destination with 42% charge remaining, ~135 miles. Estimate around 300 miles total range, which is close enough to 316 for me. I need to grab the final kW/mile, but when I checked during the drive, I was around 235-239. With three 150lb+ people in the car, 2 dogs, and every square inch packed with heavy bags and food for the trip (trunk, under the trunk, frunk, back seat floor, etc.) I'm more than happy with the range. There is a new v2 supercharger within 10 miles of my destination, so will top up today or tomorrow to 80%. I leave after the week, as I will be doing very little driving while here. Used Sentry last night, and it used 3% charge, and I have overheat protection on, so I will be keeping tabs on how much drain between Sentry at night, and overheat protection during the day.

I have a long range as well and I never get that type of range out of it no matter how carefully I drive. With three people in the car and some luggage well highway driving, I am lucky if I am getting 220 actual miles on a 90% charge. While, sometimes it'll run at 280/w mile, it is usually getting an average of 310/w mile. I do not run the battery below 10%. Its range is acceptable for most uses, but the epa numbers are ridiculous and have little to do with how cars are actually used.

I have a long range as well and I never get that type of range out of it no matter how carefully I drive. With three people in the car and some luggage well highway driving, I am lucky if I am getting 220 actual miles on a 90% charge. While, sometimes it'll run at 280/w mile, it is usually getting an average of 310/w mile. I do not run the battery below 10%. Its range is acceptable for most uses, but the epa numbers are ridiculous and have little to do with how cars are actually used.

If you drove 65mph like the OP, you’d likely get similar results.

As for the EPA figures, I think we can all agree that they don’t represent real world 75+ mph freeway speeds. Take that up with the EPA though, not Tesla.

If you drove 65mph like the OP, you’d likely get similar results.

As for the EPA figures, I think we can all agree that they don’t represent real world 75+ mph freeway speeds. Take that up with the EPA though, not Tesla.

I didn't blame Tesla for it except that it is listed in all their ads. Here in Massachusetts, noone ever drives 65 on highways without infuriating other drivers. Teslas, even the basic long range are too much fun to drive.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I didn't blame Tesla for it except that it is listed in all their ads. Here in Massachusetts, noone ever drives 65 on highways without infuriating other drivers. Teslas, even the basic long range are too much fun to drive.

Yep, Tesla, like most manufacturers, lists EPA figures in their promotional materials - what else are they supposed to do?

My previous Audi S6 also never approached its EPA 27mpg HWY rating - 24 mpg was about all it would do. (11% less)

The issue is with the EPA's test procedure - not the fact that a manufacturer quotes the figures it produces.

Yep, Tesla, like most manufacturers, lists EPA figures in their promotional materials - what else are they supposed to do?

My previous Audi S6 also never approached its EPA 27mpg HWY rating - 24 mpg was about all it would do. (11% less)

The issue is with the EPA's test procedure - not the fact that a manufacturer quotes the figures it produces.

Tesla can test drive their own vehicles on normal road conditions, properly evaluate it's range and electricity usage, and thereafter, advertise the results. Simple. As I previously stated, the model Y long-range provides adequate range but nothing near the 316 miles range as advertised. (Using normal driving conditions).

Tesla can test drive their own vehicles on normal road conditions, properly evaluate it's range and electricity usage, and thereafter, advertise the results. Simple. As I previously stated, the model Y long-range provides adequate range but nothing near the 316 miles range as advertised. (Using normal driving conditions).

Whatever "real world test" they use will always misrepresent someone else's real-world-needs. There are so many variables to be controlled. I don't think the process is as simple as some think. Ambient temperature. A/C usage. Driving speed. Road turns and hills. Load inside the car. Wind speed and direction. Tire pressure. Etc etc etc. The EPA is "a standard" that folks can use to try to estimate/gauge their real world usage off of.

FWIW I am typically getting 245ish wh/m, which correlates very nicely to 265 miles of range off a 90% charge, which I'm quite happy with.

“Using normal driving conditions” - you need to talk to the EPA about making adjustments to the definition of ‘normal’ not Tesla

FTC regulations:

- Fuel Economy Advertising for New Automobiles
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR)

> ... advertisers making general fuel economy claims should disclose the advertised vehicle's EPA fuel economy estimate in the form of the EPA MPG rating.

Is this over multiple days without charging? That’s the issue. The intent for EVs is to charge nightly and if you need range it’s between locations during a trip?

My 25 mile commute is a 90% mix of 55, 65, and 70 MPH roads and a few back roads. Using FSD set to 3 - 5 MPH over the speed limit, I often hit the rated range. 74 KWH / 227 Wh/mi = 326 miles. This is across my last 754 miles. My lifetime Wh/mi is 256, but this includes the break-in plus lead-footed honeymoon period.

Screenshot_20200812-205133_Chrome.jpg

Is this over multiple days without charging? That’s the issue. The intent for EVs is to charge nightly and if you need range it’s between locations during a trip?

Recharge it nightly when I Gen 2 charger. Charging to about 85% regularly. However we bought the car in July and it has been incredibly hot nearly every day, well over 90 degrees. Running the AC is necessary.

I'm jealous. I wonder if very high heat affects range. Wr brought it this July and it has been over 90 degrees nearly every day. Of course the necessary A/C drains that much power.

I do better when its cooler. This may be exaggerated here though. It's cooler in the morning and my morning commute drops 500 feet in altitude. I often get to work around 200 Wh/mi and take 250 Wh/mi to get home.

Screenshot_20200813-211054_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you find the odometer or the equivalent that tells you the total miles driven in the car? I am able to see the miles per trip if I use the navigation app. or in the card. But I am not able to see the total miles driven.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Where do you find the odometer or the equivalent that tells you the total miles driven in the car? I am able to see the miles per trip if I use the navigation app. or in the card. But I am not able to see the total miles driven.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Your app shows it, or you scroll down on your trip gauge.
20200812_204820.jpg

Reactions: Rocdude
You can reset A or B with the 3-dot symbol on the right side. There are two automatic ones as well, one for trip that resets when you put it in drive, and one resets each time you charge.

You can also rename A and B. I renamed B "Lifetime" after I took the pic I posted earlier.