Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it happens, if you can make a recording, that will help service figure out the problem. I had a recording of a baffle noise problem on my S. When the tech heard it, he knew what the problem was and what needed to be done. Problem gone now.

When supercharging, especially in warm weather, the radiator pumps often come on full blast about 15 minutes after starting charging. The first time I heard it, I thought something was wrong.

My AC screeches a bit when it comes on full, but usually settles down after a few seconds.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Does anyone still have this problem in 2019 Model X’s?

I am doing an extended test drive right now of a ModelX P100D. It is louder than a vacuum cleaner when powered on and has my son holding his ears in the garage. It is the same outside as well.

I am still loving the car, but it is louder than our 2014 Honda Odyssey when idling. I was expecting electric cars to be very quiet.

They ARE quiet(er) and it should be way quieter (albeit noticeable) inside the car when you have the air conditioning on. If it is horrendously loud INSIDE the car, there is something that needs adjustment. OUTSIDE the car it is VERY loud, nature of the beast. Are you hearing anything that sounds like metal vibrating against metal? If so, it is missing some insulation.

It was 93 degrees yesterday in Cleveland and we were supercharging at the Macedonia location with the climate system on to keep us cool. As one of the posters stated, it sounded like a couple of shop vacs were on under the front of my Model X. No other Tesla parked there had this noise. In fact I cannot ever remember hearing this noise at a Supercharger. It was incredibly loud and concerning.

I have been searching this forum to try to figure out if this noise is normal or not. I am still mot certain.

If some members believe I need to take it in to the Service Center please let me know.

Hi Erie Electric,

My Model X used to sound like a jet engine when Supercharging or during heavy duty air conditioning.
It does not sound like that any longer.
Please have your Service Center check it out...
Be insistent - It may be can be loud but not quite like a jet engine...
In some service cases there was an addition of insulation or a washer that reduced the noise.

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: Erie Electric
I was searching for this issue and any potential fix...I'm thankful that I came across this thread... This weekend My friends asked me if they were sitting inside a helicopter that's ready to take off.

Are there any permanent fix for this ridiculous noise? If so, what do I inform and get Service Center to fix it?

Hi TKGA,

The humming or whining could be related to electronics or charging.

The loud fan noise is not right - it is why someone earlier asked if there was a metallic sound to it... Yes, there is...

That is Service Center material - it could be the "add the washer" fix to avoid rubbing parts...

Shawn

Hi TKGA,

The humming or whining could be related to electronics or charging.

The loud fan noise is not right - it is why someone earlier asked if there was a metallic sound to it... Yes, there is...

That is Service Center material - it could be the "add the washer" fix to avoid rubbing parts...

Shawn
I returned this test drive car today and spoke to the folks at the service center side about it as well as showed them the 2 videos I posted. Here is what they say:

• If you were driving in ludicrous mode (I was, repeatedly gunning it about 5 times that day to demonstrate to family and friends) - the battery heats up really quickly to provide max power.
  • Based on how hot the battery is, the fan has to come on strong to cool it down.
  • The "hum" when parked and off is the battery warming up.
  • He says cars driven in ludicrous mode tend to hear a lot of fan and hum since the battery heats and cools so much.
  • Since I'm considering a long range and not a ludicrous car ultimately, I should hear a lot less fan noise and humming.
Can others who get the loud fan noise and humming verify if they are driving in ludicrous mode?

My 75D sounds like a jet engine in Texas heat. I think it's pretty embarrassing to be so loud, but I wasn't aware they'd do anything to fix it. Sounds like it's a crap shoot to see if they will fix the issue or not. Guess I can always ask since I have the occasional phantom object issue with my door that needs to be looked at.