Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very uncomfortable bottom seat cushion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using this mod since about one month now and my problems are gone. Technically, I have increased the spring rates of the "springs" on the rear part of the seatbottom. To do so move the seat in the highest position and max. front position to have best access. Release the two clamps which keeps the lower end of the backcover attached to the seat. Then you may insert the pieces as per attached sketch. The tape enables easy movement as the wood tend to stick to the foam. Hope this is clear enough to follow. otherwise please let me know.

Good luck!

Movie:
18-8-7 Model S front seat mod

Attachments

• 18-8-7 MS Seat mod.JPG
    18-8-7 MS Seat mod.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 337
Interesting discussion. I’ve had the best seats that BMW and Mercedes have to offer and I have to say that my 4th gen Tesla seat are the most comfortable I’ve ever had. But I completely get the issue the OP is having. People always rave about BMW multi contour seats but I always hated them on long drives.

Anyway....here’s something to look into.

A buddy of mine was having a similar complaint on a Lexus. He took the car to an aftermarket leather upholsterer who added some foam to the seat and extended the part under the knee. He was a happy camper.

Just picked up a brand new S with the textile seats from Hertz. I find the a bit on the soft side, and the bolstering a bit much for my thighs. This is coming from a Q3 14 S with flat leather seats, which are bit hard. Between the bolstering and the low entry point, the car is a bit cumbersome to get in and out of.

I'm using this mod since about one month now and my problems are gone. Technically, I have increased the spring rates of the "springs" on the rear part of the seatbottom. To do so move the seat in the highest position and max. front position to have best access. Release the two clamps which keeps the lower end of the backcover attached to the seat. Then you may insert the pieces as per attached sketch. The tape enables easy movement as the wood tend to stick to the foam. Hope this is clear enough to follow. otherwise please let me know.

Good luck!

Movie:
18-8-7 Model S front seat mod

Made a TMC account just to say thanks for this! Just did this to my model 3 driver seat.

6'2" 230lbs

After a month or so of ownership I could no longer get comfortable in that seat at all. I would be limping after long drives from the hard metal frame driving in to my left glute. Did they only test these seats with tiny people? Time will tell if this is totally fixed, but already feels so much better!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Its sad to to know that this prblem is now even on model 3, and tesla is not lifting a finger. What a shame

No shame here to Tesla for their fingers staying un-lifted on this issue. The seats in my S and 3 are the only seats that don't hurt my back on long drives. I cringe thinking I will soon have to drive my Tahoe hybrid over the mountain passes where the leather puffy and padded seats hurt my back, but would probably feel good to you.

In my view, firm support is the future -- since it's better for your back -- because firm support keeps your spine in proper position with less sagging. Excess padding encourages sagging -- one of the worst things you can do to your back on long drives.

I always wonder why it is that i can sit in my desk chair for hours on end with no pain, but find almost any car seat painful after even a half hour. I suppose it relates to overall seating position, but seat cushions on chairs are much softer (as a rule), plus you have more opportunity to shift position in a desk chair.

I have never seen this issue in a forum. I can't believe that I am the only Model S owner (2017) that experiences pain in the butt when driving over 1 hour. This pain is extreme and not just inconvenient. The seat frame under the vegan leather and padding consists of a metal platform from the front of the seat cushion to about 1/2 way back where it becomes wire and cord to the rear of the seat. I have seen the seat minus the seat cover and padding on Tesla seats sold on eBay so I can see what is under my seat's padding. Apparently, my butt bones are directly over the end of the metal platform so that when seated part of my butt is over the wire and cords and my bones are directly over the end of the metal platform.

My Tesla SC has replaced my seat but the new seat is exactly the same with same pain. I have owned many new vehicles and dozens of other vehicles and have never had this problem. The SC says they can not put more padding under the seat cover due to the construction of the seat cover, as well as sensors.Why does Tesla have this problem (for me) when I have never had a problem with car seats in a new Mercedes, new Corvette, new PT Cruiser, etc., etc. The problem is not one of SEAT ADJUSTMENT.

My only solution seems to be putting a piece of solid foam on top of my seat cushion. This seems crazy given the cost of the car - $80,000+.
I have driven both the Model S and 3. Both were had the same issues though oddly the 3 had less of the same problem. I'm about to take delivery of a new Model 3 after determining that while I had less room for my left knee in MODEL 3 VS. S, I less pain in my left thigh and butt. The problem is that in both cars I had pain. I called an after market provider (I'm sure you all know the site) and he said hey if you are not comfortable in the Car don't buy it. This is not what I wanted to hear but may what I needed to hear. When I hear others say "maybe you are not sitting correctly I become even more wary. I have driven Mercedes and a Full size Chevy truck most of my life and NEVER had discomfort like this. AT 58 I THINK I KNOW HOW TO SET THE POSITION OF MY SEAT. The problem is at 6'1" and 185 lbs I simply anatomically don't fit the design. Now I'm wondering can this be remedied and is this a question I should even be asking? To spend North of 60k and thinking of placing a piece of plywood under the seat bars seems beyond the pale. I love almost everything about the car and for sure I believe Tesla has a better idea than anything else out there BUT whoa if you aren't comfortable that is a huge problem. Any ideas or thoughts for a concerned maybe soon to be owner?

Reactions: electrique
Last edited:
I guess so mine is also from 2018. It btw also did not had the air struts so no rattle noise. I'm impressed by Tesla's contineous improvement process. BTW: I'm now waiting since August for front light (eyebrow), delta window (damage on delivery), damaged control part on the driving weel, touchscreen ( yellow border, is announced to be available June next year earliest) and since last week trip view in frozen. Hope this will be resolved by the outstanding V9.0 which was also announced months ago. Ok I have the cheapest version S75D which cost only 90k so I should be quiet and wait.

We have a 2017 MS75D (March build and ventilated) and I find the seats firm and comfortable. I know bolstering can affect people's level of comfort. My 2001 Avalon seats with firm leather and less bolstered sides and wider butt area I found pretty comfortable. It was a change to go to the MS from those and I notice a change when I drive my Model 3 instead which are much softer and bolstering different.

I think the relation of your butt in the seat to the angle of your legs plays a big part in comfort. If we could see ourselves as skeletons in the seat I think the difference would be more obvious in how your tailbone is positioned.

I also think distance to the pedal and how your seat is in relationship to that (knees more bent or not) works on those butt and back muscles. Interesting at least 2 people have mentioned left leg bothering them. I suspect it could be related to how your foot is placed relative to the dead pedal and how the leg then hits the left bolster. Holding one's body in a more or less stationary position during long distance driving for hours can have an affect on comfort especially when a certain range of muscles not normally used gets involved. Sitting in a chair you doubtfully rest or bend your left leg that way.

I also think one's muscle tone changes over time depending on what one does. Any change in seating will affect the body differently as the body adapts.

Seating ... sort of like the 3 bears tale in finding the one that is just right ...

Last edited: