Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vestigial Tachometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was surprising.
My only experience with a HUD (a rental car in AU) was very positive. I can see the idea of a customizable display (position, size, color, brightness) would be an extreme advantage and I hope they can do it but I'd be fine with whatever..

I have OLED on an MP3 player and a TiVo. Both become impossible to read when hit by sunlight. Perhaps LCD is still a better technology for an outdoor (or dashboard) display?

This dash finally makes sense. Somebody at Tesla is surely reading this forum :)
Though I always felt this idea was common sense (and should have been done with the tranny change), it certainly looks like it. :smile:

From this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/technical-discussion/1116-vestigial-tachometer.html
Tachometer should be joined with speedometer with a single needle. Instead of existing tachometer there should be "powermeter", showing current engine power usage.
>> I feel that the change to the single speed trany has made the tach useless.

I'm still rooting for it to be replaced by a powergauge with some negative field for regen. Maybe an aftermarket mod? :biggrin:

Something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=65&d=1215863803.jpg
I might try the KW gauge with the TDC as the zero point.
Can you put the negative numbers into green? Or maybe it should just be the curved scale markings - like the red section for 180 and 220?

Last edited:
I had been pushing that idea for years now...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-model-s-whitestar/383-whitesstar-dashboard.html#post2175

Credit goes to WarpedOne for actually mocking one up on the Tesla panel!
Yes, it's an obvious sensible thing to do. I was just pointing out that even finer details like those suggested by WarpedOne ("tachometer should be joined with speedometer with a single needle"), vfx ("KW gauge with the TDC as the zero point"), and malcolm (green scale markings) appear to have been implemented. Credit goes to the forum. :smile:

Last edited:
Yes, well, it is hard to know how much influence (if any) we have on their decisions. Probably at least a little bit of idea generation, but much of the time I think we may just be "thinking logically" and coming up with ideas that they would have done anyways. Well at least we can celebrate that they created something that fit our vision of what we thought they should do regardless if the ideas started here or not.

And yes, the idea of overlaying the tach values on the speedo had come to me a long while back as well.

Assuming they put the tach as an overlay on the speedo that basically locks them into a specific gearbox ratio and tire size.

( With a different gear ratio they could have considered a sport model with even quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but lower top speed. Say something like 0-60 in 3.4, 1/4 in 12.0, top speed 110mph. )

Right, well my real point was that this is all pretty obvious stuff. So I think it's a little silly take or assign credit. I was just trying to sound positive.

Anyhow this new gauge arrangement is a step in the right direction. Now I want to see it in action.

Yes, well, it is hard to know how much influence (if any) we have on their decisions. Probably at least a little bit of idea generation, but much of the time I think we may just be "thinking logically" and coming up with ideas that they would have done anyways.
Whenever I see something like this I think: "necessity is the mother of invention." In other words, if something is needed then lots of people will be coming up with ideas and the more necessary the feature the more likely more than one person will have the same or similar implementations.

In this case, though, reading the thread after getting my Roadster 2.5, it sure seems like you guys designed the new gauges for Tesla Motors. I really like the result no matter where it came from.

I'd love to have a digital display that let me have custom gauges that I can swap in when I want.
The only gauge the Roadster really needs when being driven hard around a track is the motor temperature gauge - it would be nice to have a great big one in the middle of the display.
I'd probably put a battery gauge next to it.

I agree with Richkae, but for everyday driving as well. I don't need to see when I am in regen, or how far I am pushing on the power with my right foot. It reminds me of the 70's when they put fuel economy gages that swung wildly back and forth no matter how you drove in a vain attempt to get you to save a few precious drops of fuel. Some may want to see this, but not me. I want to drive my car! I know how to drive enonomically when I need to and a gage on the dash will not in any means help me to do that. Primary displays should show 1. Speed 2. limiting temperatures 3. State of charge 4. range at current driving mode.

Last edited: