Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration in pedal and yoke steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TGLTXP

Jun 12, 2023
DMV
Hi! Just picked up my 2023 MXP last week and noticed, every morning when I first starte driving when I hit about 30-40 MPH I'll have a humming vibration that's felt in the pedal and yoke steering. It's very noticeable. It does that for about 5 or so minutes while driving in that speed range. Then it goes away and never does it again the rest of the day, until the next morning. Is this normal and just part of it "warming up"? Is this something I should bring back to service to have checked out? TIA!

Reactions: preilly44
Hi! Just picked up my 2023 MXP last week and noticed, every morning when I first starte driving when I hit about 30-40 MPH I'll have a humming vibration that's felt in the pedal and yoke steering. It's very noticeable. It does that for about 5 or so minutes while driving in that speed range. Then it goes away and never does it again the rest of the day, until the next morning. Is this normal and just part of it "warming up"? Is this something I should bring back to service to have checked out? TIA!
That sounds like a tire problem to me. Open a Service Ticket and see what they can do for you.
It's at a certain frequency (speed) that it seems to be resonating, causing the vibrations to intensify. Often a balancing issue.

Upvote 0
Search the forum here. You will find that is a very commonly reported issue, with many Plaids.

Reactions: preilly44
Upvote 0
That sounds like a tire problem to me. Open a Service Ticket and see what they can do for you.
It's at a certain frequency (speed) that it seems to be resonating, causing the vibrations to intensify. Often a balancing issue.
But the vibrations go away after a few minutes. It only happens when I first start driving in the morning and doesn't do it again unitl the next morning. I would think if it's an unbalanced tire it would happen all day long.

Upvote 0
Yup, I've got it. Mine happens at 48-50mph. I have taken it into service, they looked at it, confirmed that it's there, test drove another Model X Plaid and said it did the same thing, so they didn't do anything it. It's a bit annoying, but at least I have it documented now in service. I figured with a 10 year warranty, if it breaks later, they'll just have to fix it. I may take it back in another few months again now that there's a service center that's much closer to me. But I have the same issue, just different speed. I just don't drive at 48-50mph, haha.

Upvote 0
MXP 2023 SISSUE PARTIALLY SOLVED.

I had issue with steering yoke vibration at 65 MPHand higher.

Multiple tire swaps, wheel set swaps and road force balance attempts didn't address the issue. Also alignment was done without addressing the issue. Finally was told by SC that they suspension engineering team is "working on the fix" and that they will contact me. Vibration persisted and really took away the joy of ownership. I wrote a letter to Tesla corporate and asked them to buy back the car "as they exhausted reasonable number of attempts to fix warrantable issue" ( I opted out of arbitration). After this they took a car for service for 4 weeks. That's what was done:

"Repair Notes: Test drove vehicle and verified vibration present around 75 mph. Performed a balance check of all wheels and verified wheels are all within acceptable balance. Removed customer wheels and installed a known good set. Test drove and verified vibration is still present. Test drove vehicle in the air and verified the front right axle has lateral movement at higher speeds. Requested additional assistance for diagnosis: per diag removed and replaced both front hub assemblies, front right axle and both control arms on the front right side. Assembled vehicle and test drove, verified vibration still present. Removed and inspected the front drive unit: verified no visual issues present with drive unit. Replaced drive unit and performed all required tasks after replacement. Performed an extended test drive and verified vehicle no longer vibrates at speeds about 79-89 MPH. Advise w/ customer: there is still a slight vibration present at higher speeds but this is within normal acceptance for vehicle operation."

Intermittent vibration is still present at 75 mph plus. Frustrating. However it is by 60-75% better - I have Ford Raptor with 37 package and large off road tires - it has less road vibration than my MXP post repair. Don at N2Itive thought it might have to do with angle of front drive unit. Also - I traded my 2022 MXP for 2023 unit (wish I have not done it) and 2022 didn't have this issue. Immediately after delivery of 2023 I found out that Tesla was doing alignment and front tire balancing prior to delivery (this was not disclosed to me prior to delivery) - I find this tactics to be sketchy and it makes me question if they are aware of the issue and still try to sell these defective units to customers.

Reactions: N2B8
Upvote 0