Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration in Yolk at 70+ mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model X is at the Service Center for the second time (a different SC) for this issue. Mine starts vibrating at about 53mph. It is like getting a massage through the steering, pedals and seats. It stays bad until you hit 60-65 when it is less noticeable. Tires have been checked and balanced twice. Car has been aligned twice. The air springs and half shafts have been replaced. They even replaced the entire steering rack. ALL at my expense. Nothing has helped. I didn't take my car in for this. I had a vibration in my rear wheels (nothing like this). This is how it came back from the SC in Raleigh. I'll never go back. It is now in VA and they are promising to make it right. i don't feel safe driving my car. Feels like the whole front suspension could give out.

I’m at the service center and the technician (very experienced) swapped out a front tire that resolved the vibration for me. He said the tire was the problem and likely a Goodyear manufacturing problem. I did test drive it with him and it is significantly better.

Wanted to share an update; when I'm in track mode and have the car pretend it's front wheel drive, it pulls left when accelerating and pulls right when regeneratively braking. This symptom is not present in Plaid mode or during any normal driving. The vibration is much better on the 19in wheels than the 21in.

After doing some digging, I think this might be a symptom is a worn bushing in some of the suspension links. My thoughts are perhaps some front links need replacing.

I think this might also explain the vibration at 50mph+ speeds but not sure.

Is the vibration issue you all are having like in the video? I just got my '23 MXP and I am having the vibration issue. I have the 20-inch all seasons. I have taken it to two service centers. They balanced the tires to find three were out of balance. The issue still continued after as you can see in the video. The most recent visit said it is "as to be expected and not abnormal." This happens on even the smoothest of roads.

Reactions: GarthK and Circci
Is the vibration issue you all are having like in the video? I just got my '23 MXP and I am having the vibration issue. I have the 20-inch all seasons. I have taken it to two service centers. They balanced the tires to find three were out of balance. The issue still continued after as you can see in the video. The most recent visit said it is "as to be expected and not abnormal." This happens on even the smoothest of roads.

I'm in exactly same boat as you. Ever find a solution?
I wonder if it's the foam in the tires...maybe I'll ask SC to remove the foam? And hopefully the active noise cancelling speakers will dull some of the extra noise. I dunno.

Wow! I just read this chat and this is the same issue I’ve been having for thr past 3 months on my 22 MXP. Front left side feels the worse and the mirror vibrates along with the yoke at around 50mph and then again around 70mph. My car at the SC right now for the fourth time in three months and I’m await some answer to the cause. 3 tire balances and an alignment later and no real solution.

I’m assuming no one has found the solution?

Same issue here. 23MX on 20” wheels. As soon as I picked the car up from delivery the issue was present. SC had the car twice, did some road force balancing and replaced two tires. It’s better but still an issue. Most noticeable 77-84mph while using AP. Most recent technician said this is a known issue on the Tesla end and engineering has a note or ticket on it. They may or may not choose to prioritize the issue. Said it could be solved via firmware which seems unlikely. Never had any of these issues in 5yrs/131k of M3 ownership. Tesla’s just deal with it attitude, it’s normal is frustrating considering the price point of the car.

This is the same as my issue. Has not been corrected in two SC visits which road force balanced tires and replaced two. Mine has had the issue since I took delivery. Not sure about you but seems I can feel an issue in the front left of the car. Balancing hasn’t fixed my issue and SC gave me two other Xs to drive for comparison. Neither of those cars exhibited the vibration.

Could the axle shafts or motor spindles be out of balance? Couldn’t be fixed short of replacements, and they likely wouldn’t want to talk about that…Certainly acts like a mechanical moving part issue.
I suspect it is a suspension or drivetrain component but Tesla is saying all is within spec. Difficult pill to swallow when they have given you two of their demo cars and neither exhibited the vibration issue on the same driving loop for an apples to apples comparison. Getting super frustrated and I'm only one month into taking delivery.

I suspect it is a suspension or drivetrain component but Tesla is saying all is within spec. Difficult pill to swallow when they have given you two of their demo cars and neither exhibited the vibration issue on the same driving loop for an apples to apples comparison. Getting super frustrated and I'm only one month into taking delivery.
I have the same issue at higher speeds - 65+ - since I got my 2023 MXP with 20"s about 3 months ago. I have changed tires twice, road force balanced multiple times and did alignment. The issue persists and I was told the same, that a future firmware will fix it and that all MXs have it more or less. I had another 2023 MX that was bought back (for different reasons) that also had the same issue and it had 22" wheels.

Is the vibration only on the steering or can also feel it on the chassis/seat? Mine is just on the yoke, exactly like the video posted above.

The way they explained it is that it has to do with the front motor's torque and how it is transferred to the wheels, implying that they have control of it with software and that is why updated firmware will fix it. Of course there is no specific date this firmware will be released. Since they told you the same, maybe there is some truth to that, but at the same time if you drove two that didn't have it I am not sure how it can be firmware. How did they explain that?

Definitely frustrating.

I have the same issue at higher speeds - 65+ - since I got my 2023 MXP with 20"s about 3 months ago. I have changed tires twice, road force balanced multiple times and did alignment. The issue persists and I was told the same, that a future firmware will fix it and that all MXs have it more or less. I had another 2023 MX that was bought back (for different reasons) that also had the same issue and it had 22" wheels.

Is the vibration only on the steering or can also feel it on the chassis/seat? Mine is just on the yoke, exactly like the video posted above.

The way they explained it is that it has to do with the front motor's torque and how it is transferred to the wheels, implying that they have control of it with software and that is why updated firmware will fix it. Of course there is no specific date this firmware will be released. Since they told you the same, maybe there is some truth to that, but at the same time if you drove two that didn't have it I am not sure how it can be firmware. How did they explain that?

Definitely frustrating.
I’m getting the vibration in the yoke but can also see the passenger seat vibrate if it is unoccupied. Also, while driving I feel the left front end being less than firm. I feel like there is a faint sound similar to when bump stops on other cars have become worn.

While the firmware argument could potentially be legitimate, it doesn’t seem to hold water when other cars are not exhibiting the same behavior. Tesla has pretty much told me it is what it is and how soon something will be priority or if it will be is an unknown. Not loving the fact the yoke shakes while driving at highway speeds on an $80k+ car that is a month old.

I’m getting the vibration in the yoke but can also see the passenger seat vibrate if it is unoccupied. Also, while driving I feel the left front end being less than firm. I feel like there is a faint sound similar to when bump stops on other cars have become worn.

While the firmware argument could potentially be legitimate, it doesn’t seem to hold water when other cars are not exhibiting the same behavior. Tesla has pretty much told me it is what it is and how soon something will be priority or if it will be is an unknown. Not loving the fact the yoke shakes while driving at highway speeds on an $80k+ car that is a month old.
Can also feel feedback that is coming through the yoke from the front end depending on conditions/speed.

Totally agree, and a $110k+ car for many of us.

Can also feel feedback that is coming through the yoke from the front end depending on conditions/speed.
I feel the same feedback too, as if all road noise is passed to the yoke. Turning at lower speeds sometimes feels like the yoke is bouncing way more than it was with the 22" wheels my previous MX had - this has 20"s. Accelerating hard it feels that the yoke is also bouncing somewhat. I wonder if the two are related. The new tires I got (Michelin Pilot Sport AS4) muted this a lot but this unwanted feedback is still somewhat there.

It just feels something is wrong with the steering rack, ball joints or the infamous half shafts. Considering this happens since new, maybe they have had bad batches of parts? But then, my first 2023 MX was built in 01/23 and the one I have now 06/23 and both exhibited the same - too far apart to use same batch I would think.

At this point I am not sure what else I can try unfortunately except just drive it around town only at not highway speeds (but still feel the road noise/yoke feedback) which is what I currently do for an hour or less at a time - anything else makes my hands tired.

I feel the same feedback too, as if all road noise is passed to the steering wheel. Turning at lower speeds sometimes feels like the yoke is bouncing way more than it was with the 22" wheels my previous MX had - this has 20"s. Accelerating hard it feels that the yoke is also bouncing somewhat. I wonder if the two are related. The new tires I got (Michelin Pilot Sport AS4) muted this a lot but this unwanted feedback is still somewhat there.

It just feels something is wrong with the steering rack, ball joints or the infamous half shafts. Considering this happens since new, maybe they have had bad batches of parts? But then, my first 2023 MX was built in 01/23 and the one I have now 06/23 and both exhibited the same - too far apart to use same batch I would think.

At this point I am not sure what else I can try unfortunately except just drive it around town only at not highway speeds (but still feel the road noise/yoke feedback) which is what I currently do for an hour or less at a time - anything else makes my hands tired.
My manufacture date is 6/9/23 and agreed. Seems a components issue. Definitely feels loose if that makes sense. I’ve put suspension/swaybars on some cars in the past and sometimes wheels so always had solid feeling front ends. That said, my 5yr old Model 3 never had any of these issues and none of the loaners exhibited the problem. My 10yr old LR4 feels more solid in the front end.

I’m considering going to 22” BBS wheels with Michelins but not sure if it is going to fix the issue. Sounds unlikely given your experimentation with tire changes. I do think the Continental tires are pretty terrible.

I’ve halfway considered asking Tesla to buy the car back. I live in a state where you need to prepay/insure the car before they will bring it across state lines. The whole delivery process was a mess with massive delays. I didn’t make it two miles out on the highway before turning around to report this issue.

I spend close to 2h a day on the highway. It’s a bit annoying and a constant reminder of no solution.

Has anyone else had a successful fix? Feel like I have seen some folks getting halfshafts replaced, etc but haven’t read about any ultimate resolution.

My manufacture date is 6/9/23 and agreed. Seems a components issue. Definitely feels loose if that makes sense. I’ve put suspension/swaybars on some cars in the past and sometimes wheels so always had solid feeling front ends. That said, my 5yr old Model 3 never had any of these issues and none of the loaners exhibited the problem. My 10yr old LR4 feels more solid in the front end.

I’m considering going to 22” BBS wheels with Michelins but not sure if it is going to fix the issue. Sounds unlikely given your experimentation with tire changes. I do think the Continental tires are pretty terrible.

I’ve halfway considered asking Tesla to buy the car back. I live in a state where you need to prepay/insure the car before they will bring it across state lines. The whole delivery process was a mess with massive delays. I didn’t make it two miles out on the highway before turning around to report this issue.

I spend close to 2h a day on the highway. It’s a bit annoying and a constant reminder of no solution.

Has anyone else had a successful fix? Feel like I have seen some folks getting halfshafts replaced, etc but haven’t read about any ultimate resolution.
I have a similar issue but not with the yoke. My vibration comese through the front two seats while accelerating crossing 30-40 mph for like a second.
Visited SC twice and they rebalanced the wheels and no resolution. They're going to replace two front half shafts next week (if they don't push my appt again) and see if that fixes it. The car sometimes vibrates (I feel it through the seats) when coming to a full stop from 55-60 mph to 0 using just regen brakes.

I have a similar issue but not with the yoke. My vibration comese through the front two seats while accelerating crossing 30-40 mph for like a second.
Visited SC twice and they rebalanced the wheels and no resolution. They're going to replace two front half shafts next week (if they don't push my appt again) and see if that fixes it. The car sometimes vibrates (I feel it through the seats) when coming to a full stop from 55-60 mph to 0 using just regen brakes.
I also feel vibration through the seats/floorboard and generally through the yoke. The passenger seat vibration also apparent at certain speeds. Upon digging more have read that sometimes it could be halfshafts or front drive unit. I think I will push TSLA for a resolution again. Highway driving particularly annoying for me.