Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victoria Destination Charging Across Victoria Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point being is how many equivalent petrol stations are in that area of the world (or any part). Charging infrastructure needs to keep alliterating before people (especially older people who are used to the convenience of a 'servo' ) will take EVs seriously.
Charging infrastructure needs to keep alliterating? Smh. Please spend more time writing cogent statements and less time on shallow thinking worries. The older people will be pleasantly surprised to find that they have electricity at home, yes, even in Victoria.
/s (in case you're a bot)

• Disagree
Reactions: Pdubs and Ramphex
Charging infrastructure needs to keep alliterating? Smh. Please spend more time writing cogent statements and less time on shallow thinking worries. The older people will be pleasantly surprised to find that they have electricity at home, yes, even in Victoria.
/s (in case you're a bot)

@AussieOwner isn’t a bot. Re “Charging infrastructure needs to keep alliterating” - possibly was typing “proliferating” but autocorrect took over, happens to all of us. No need to be snarky about it.

Reactions: AussieOwner
Was a typo. Didnt know it would upset you so greatly.

The older people will be pleasantly surprised to find that they have electricity at home, yes, even in Victoria.

I can see you have never spent any time around older country people. There is an ingrained culture of 'EV's are slow and for Greenies'. Telsa, Nissan, and others are slowly changing this by rolling out cars & companies like EVIE & Telsa are rolling out charging stations which is slowly changing the uptake and availability of public charging stations but this takes time.

Dont believe me, take your Telsa to any small town and see what comments you get.

Recently was in Kieth SC and received a lot of rude comments from some folks at the Pie shop (across from the charging stations) about how "they would never buy one those battery cars"

Last edited:
Dont believe me, take your Telsa to any small town and see what comments you get.

I’ve been to a few small country towns and haven‘t received any overt negativity.

Pulling up to a pub in Mungindi (pop. 700) a bloke nursing a beer on the verandah drawled “we don’t see many of those around here” with a chuckle. He was quite interested and asked me lots of questions about it. When I showed the publican the different UMC tails I had and asked him which sockets he might have around the back, another bloke asked him “what’s that about” and the publican said “he wants to plug his car in” and the response was “no &#$% way!” 🤣

If we pull into a town and open the falcon wing doors sometimes it is like we have landed an alien spaceship in the main street.

Participated in an EV awareness day at Batehaven (near Bateman's Bay) a while ago, people were mostly positive and interested to find out things about the cars but there was the inevitable wilfully ignorant cohort that sprouted the drivel they had heard / read.

I can see you have never spent any time around older country people. There is an ingrained culture of 'EV's are slow and for Greenies'. Telsa, Nissan, and others are slowly changing this by rolling out cars & companies like EVIE & Telsa are rolling out charging stations which is slowly changing the uptake and availability of public charging stations but this takes time.

Recently was in Kieth SC and received a lot of rude comments from some folks at the Pie shop (across from the charging stations) about how "they would never buy one those battery cars"
I have charged in a lot of country towns and always have great conversations with people. Most people who express a negative opinion are just reflecting what they have been told so it does not take much to turn them around. Taking the negative person for a quick spin is of course the best way, but that is not always practical. Someone expressing that "they would never buy one of those battery cars" is not being rude, it is just them stating their current position and is a conversation opener and opportunity for you to try and find something that might resonate with them.

When I went to the drag strip/burnout test and tune at Heathcote I only got interest and excitement that I was going to be racing, and this from the most unashamedly bogan and eshay crowd you might ever be privileged to meet. This experience has been repeated in dozens, maybe hundreds of conversations over the years.

In Alice Springs I had an excellent conversation with a local Aboriginal gentleman who was down from one of the indigenous communities a couple of hundred kms north. He was very open to the idea of being able to make their own vehicle "fuel" from the sun as vehicle prices come down so I sat him in the car and explained a lot of features and so on.

Ignorance is not a crime, and very few people in the real world are wilfully ignorant trolls.

Also confirmed from a recent photo on Plugshare that there are two Evie sites installed but awaiting activation in Bairnsdale, only a block apart.
- one on Francis St which is typical Evie wrap and blue painted spots
- one in the Nicholson St carpark with a Charging the Regions wrap and green painted spots

Reactions: cafz
Also confirmed from a recent photo on Plugshare that there are two Evie sites installed but awaiting activation in Bairnsdale, only a block apart.
- one in the Nicholson St carpark with a Charging the Regions wrap and green painted spots
Have we confirmed that the East Gippsland Council chargers are using Evie for billing? I mean it makes sense, but there are literally no Evie symbols on the Tritium units, nor are there any QR codes or any other sort of hint on how these are going to be used. Very curious.

Have we confirmed that the East Gippsland Council chargers are using Evie for billing? I mean it makes sense, but there are literally no Evie symbols on the Tritium units, nor are there any QR codes or any other sort of hint on how these are going to be used. Very curious.
Until it goes live I guess we don't definitely know.
But the Evie branding on CTR sites in the NW is pretty minimal and mostly stickers.
Eg. CTR Kerang CV005 | PlugShare

Anyone got any info on this site added to Plugshare in Mallocoota by Ozark on 22-Dec.

Pretty questionable it's CCS2, maybe Type2 at best.
(Personally think Plugshare should just auto-delete any Fast charging entries without photo proof)

Personally think Plugshare should just auto-delete any Fast charging entries without photo proof

Merely uploading a photo is insufficient proof because it could be a photo of anything (and even if it is photo of a DCFC, that still proves nothing).

I reported a photo of the Coonamble NRMA charger being uploaded incorrectly to the Walgett site (probably just an honest mistake), but nothing happened and it’s still there.

DCFC operators should first be verified by Plugshare, and then they should be the only ones who can create new DCFC locations for their own network in Plugshare.

Plugshare is very useful but it’s also a bit of of a mess. There are plugs in the middle of the ocean, and on uninhabited islands, and in Antarctica (even with joke check-ins). Plugshare, like all crowd-sourced databases, has its fair share of rubbish in there. And absolutely no quality control to weed it out, and no attempt to use even basic data entry verification at submission to block prank entries and check-ins.

Reactions: moa999
Found the council license for this Evie one,

Similar to how the Cann River Tesla site was first identified.

I also see

and

filed on the same day.

The Evie locations match up with 3 of the Evie sites in the area summarised by @Chuq here,

And would seem to indicate two chargers at the Lakes Entrance site, one Evie owned and operated and one Council owned and operated by as yet unconfirmed.

• Informative
Reactions: mike_j and moa999
Chargefox stickers have appeared on the Bairnsdale CTR charger (still not active) per latest photo on Plugshare.

Surprising given Evie does the billing for every other CTR branded site.
CTR is a Vic Government thing really so there is no reason why we can't have multiple charging providers. It was just that Evie got most of the contracts because Chargefox is not interested in building a charging network, just in being a billing company. These East Gippsland chargers are owned and operated by the East Gippsland Shire Council, so they can pick whoever they want to bill them.

• Informative
Reactions: David G
Another delay on the East Gippsland chargers

UPDATED COMPLETION DATE FOR STAGE 1 IS NOW THE FIRST WEEK OF FEBRUARY 2023.

All four (Bairnsdale, Omeo, Orbost and Cann River) appear to have Chargefox stickers and carry the CTR branding despite seemingly being funded by the Australian Government’s Local Roads and Community Infrastructure (LRCI) Program per East Gippsland Council.