Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's app update adds support for seeing how long ago a charging session started (both AC and DC), but for DC also shows the state of charge for the car plugged in.

IMG_5698.png

Bring on the shaming!

IMG_5699.png

IMG_5700.png

Today's app update adds support for seeing how long ago a charging session started (both AC and DC), but for DC also shows the state of charge for the car plugged in.

Vostok says “I approve and endorse this update” 😄

I don’t see a reason why AC sessions couldn’t also show the SoC, that info is communicated in a Type 2 connection. Just like with our home charging 🤷‍♂️

It would be even better if where charging has completed it didn’t just say “In Use” with no SoC (presumably the target SoC has been reached) but something more shameful like “Loitering”, “Blocking”, “Arsehat” or similar 😄

Vostok says “I approve and endorse this update” 😄

I don’t see a reason why AC sessions couldn’t also show the SoC, that info is communicated in a Type 2 connection. Just like with our home charging 🤷‍♂️

It would be even better if where charging has completed it didn’t just say “In Use” with no SoC (presumably the target SoC has been reached) but something more shameful like “Loitering”, “Blocking”, “Arsehat” or similar 😄
I think in certain cases it's unreasonable to expect people to move the car shortly after it's fully charged. If you leave your car plugged in at park and ride parking or city parking garages and go to work, for example.

It should also block the VIN of repeat offenders for a week 🤣
Can't get the VIN over AC (except for Tesla EVs + the Tesla Wall Connector AFAIK) and I don't think the VIN is accessible over DC, and the MAC/ID accessible over DC isn't always unique to all cars Plug in and Charge aka Autocharge aka Plug & Charge

I didn't realise this was possible - unless it's a Tesla + Tesla Wall Connector exclusive feature (just like being able to restrict it to specific Tesla VINs)

I was at IKEA Tempe on Saturday evening, and all four AC chargers were in use, even though they are now paid. One car at the Evie charger.
I think this is a good thing - means people use the chargers for convenience while they shop at Ikea (as opposed to going there specifically to free load on charging). Although this will make the wall outlets more attractive as a free alternative :)

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I think in certain cases it's unreasonable to expect people to move the car shortly after it's fully charged. If you leave your car plugged in at park and ride parking or city parking garages and go to work, for example.
Yeah, most of the expected etiquette about DC charging doesn't really make sense when applied to AC charging.

If someone is slow charging while at a restaurant or movie (say, parked for 3 hours) they shouldn't be expected to come out and move at the 2hr 30m mark. (But similarly if they know they'll be full within an hour, they probably didn't need to use the charger anyway).

To use your example - if someone uses the same park and ride every day, then no problem with, once a week, plugging in on arrival, staying for 8 hours, even if charging takes 6 hours. But conversely, don't plug in every day if you're only charging for the first ~1.5 hours.

And hotels - treat them like your home charger. I got into a heated discussion on reddit with some guy who said that if you use an AC charger at a hotel, and the charge finishes at (e.g.) 2am, you should have to move your car then.

Not yet there for Android
Normally a few days behind and a staggered rollout.
I don’t see a reason why AC sessions couldn’t also show the SoC, that info is communicated in a Type 2 connection. Just like with our home charging
Not sure this is a thing for non-Tesla equipment. Certainly I haven't seen my SoC shown on any third party AC chargers with a screen when charging my 3.

So it depends on context. For parking locations clearly intended to facilitate parking for the entire day, fair enough, in which case a 7 kW charger would be plenty. Heck, even a 15A socket would be enough for that application and you could have more of them.

But for a shopping mall or similar location my eyebrows are raised. Presumably the person is inside the shopping centre, and it is not unreasonable to expect them to come back and move their car when charging is done after 2-3 hours. And if they are not inside the shopping centre, then clearly they are abusing the privilege.

Reactions: dronus and Chuq
I didn't realise this was possible - unless it's a Tesla + Tesla Wall Connector exclusive feature (just like being able to restrict it to specific Tesla VINs)

You are right - I checked the Type 2 specs, and while CCS2 transmits the car’s state of charge, Type 2 connections don't. So the charging station can’t report it. The vehicle can though, and that’s what we see in the App.

Perhaps SAE/IEC need to add that capability in the next revision of Type 2 🤔? It would be useful intel for CPOs.