Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victoria Charging the Regions EV network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's available in certain countries in Europe, just not Australia yet. I'm not sure which other networks they include, but it would be a safe guess that there is a certain minimum standard, on number of stalls and/or charge speed - e.g. single stall 50 kW sites, like many of the ones in this grant round, probably won't meet that standard.

I recall reading once (of course I now can’t find the reference) that Telsa automatically added any DCFC that you actually charged at to its list of “fast charging” stations in your history, and therefore could use it in any future trip planning. But I’ve never seen that happen either.

The strangest thing that once happened was when charging at Chargefox Karuah 350 kW, I received Tesla notifications that my car would be charged soon and idle fees could apply!! It seems my car, or Tesla, simply could not believe that I could not be at a Supercharger if I was charging at 180 kW 🤣🤣🤣. But it only happened the first time I charged there, I never received such notifications at subsequent charging sessions there. Bizarre, eh.

Nothing for Moorabool shire, Ballarat, Horsham or Bendigo.
Moorabool is a technicality. It's surrounded by sites just outside the municipalities borders.

Ballarat and Horsham could be because they already have Chargefox 350 kW sites (and Evie has a 350 kW site due from their earlier ARENA funding for Ballarat). Bendigo has a site included (to add to their existing CTR site).

Worth noting that all the Evie sites are likely to be Tritium RTM75 units which are upgradable to 75 kW when demand necessitates (or might even be 75 kW from the start if the existing grid capacity allows for it).

It's good to see Wangaratta and Benalla finally appear on a fast charger map of any sort!

It would be nice if some of these locations, particularly on the busier routes, were 100-150+ kW. Even if it meant fewer locations overall.

I mentioned Evie's earlier ARENA plan before... would be nice if some of those made an appearance.. it seems whenever Evie scores another contract they forget about their old commitments....

It's available in certain countries in Europe, just not Australia yet. I'm not sure which other networks they include, but it would be a safe guess that there is a certain minimum standard, on number of stalls and/or charge speed - e.g. single stall 50 kW sites, like many of the ones in this grant round, probably won't meet that standard.

Side note - this new grant round is different to the Charging The Regions network, should it be split out into a separate thread? "Destination Charging Across Victoria" or "Victorian Government DCAV fast chargers"? Thoughts @moa999 @meloccom ?
Not sure why the new program has the name Destination Chargers Program when it includes 50Kw DC chargers. I think a politician wants something new to “Announce” In a photo opportunity press conference.
I favour keeping it the one thread as it’s only 8 pages so far and keeping it together allows someone to track the Victorian Government sponsored network rollout/s in one thread. If you feel strongly that you want seperate threads let me know.

I recall reading once (of course I now can’t find the reference) that Telsa automatically added any DCFC that you actually charged at to its list of “fast charging” stations in your history, and therefore could use it in any future trip planning. But I’ve never seen that happen either.
I think Tesla correctly assumes that if a non Tesla DCFC was added to your screen you would expect it to update with number of stalls available etc as per Superchargers. This would require some form of sharing between the networks. I am sure this is possible.

I think Tesla correctly assumes that if a non Tesla DCFC was added to your screen you would expect it to update with number of stalls available etc as per Superchargers. This would require some form of sharing between the networks. I am sure this is possible.
I’m fairly sure there’d also need to be billing system integration (or free charging), otherwise Tesla might route you somewhere you need to sign up an account and (looking at you, Evie) agree to a privacy policy for, before you can charge.

Availability of chargers is already provided via OCPP so this would be possible to integrate. Tesla's nav system could check how many stalls were available and prefer superchargers if risk of no free stalls is high, but use the public chargers as a alternate.

I’m fairly sure there’d also need to be billing system integration (or free charging), otherwise Tesla might route you somewhere you need to sign up an account and (looking at you, Evie) agree to a privacy policy for, before you can charge.

Billing wise - I don't think they'd go that far. They just route you to the location. At most, they may have a list of networks in settings where you can tick the networks you'd like to use (implies you have an existing account with those networks).

Availability of chargers is already provided via OCPP so this would be possible to integrate. Tesla's nav system could check how many stalls were available and prefer superchargers if risk of no free stalls is high, but use the public chargers as a alternate.

Billing wise - I don't think they'd go that far. They just route you to the location. At most, they may have a list of networks in settings where you can tick the networks you'd like to use (implies you have an existing account with those networks).
The Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP) is a really good initiative, but do we know of anywhere in the world where it is being broadly used at this point in time?

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Not clear if it's OCPP or not, but there is certainly some API/ access available.

Plugshare shows live availability of Evie and Jolt
Google Maps shows Chargefox, Evie and Jolt.

Of course it probably helps that all three networks seemingly use the same backend/app provider (Chargefox with a slightly more customised version)

Agree you don't necessarily need to integrate billing, indeed it's not clear whether Tesla uses ISO15118 or some proprietary communication in supercharger handshakes.

If only there was some already established payment system that included a card with a chip that the charger could read and you could use everywhere.
The problem with using the credit card system is that you want to authorise the payment before you allow charging to start, because otherwise the customer can just drive off without paying. With the credit-card system, that means pre-authing an upper limit dollar value, then taking the payment out of that when charging finishes. It's what Costco do for fuel but it's not exactly a seamless user experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Just had a quick look at this page - includes the line: "These chargers, depending on their power rating, can provide 100 km worth of range in as little as 10 minutes."

I don't think that's possible with a 50 kW charger? Absolute maximum theoretical power supplied in 10 minutes = 8.3 kWh. That would need a car that uses 8.3 kWh/100km.

100 km in 10 minutes implies a 100 kW charger but not a single one of the entries in the Word document includes that.
I charged today at a 50kW charger and yes it took 20 min to get 105km of range or 15kWh into the battery on a Model 3 RWD Unicorn. I was charging at about 300km/hour or 40-42 kW

Moorabool is a technicality. It's surrounded by sites just outside the municipalities borders.

Ballarat and Horsham could be because they already have Chargefox 350 kW sites (and Evie has a 350 kW site due from their earlier ARENA funding for Ballarat). Bendigo has a site included (to add to their existing CTR site).

Worth noting that all the Evie sites are likely to be Tritium RTM75 units which are upgradable to 75 kW when demand necessitates (or might even be 75 kW from the start if the existing grid capacity allows for it).

It's good to see Wangaratta and Benalla finally appear on a fast charger map of any sort!

It would be nice if some of these locations, particularly on the busier routes, were 100-150+ kW. Even if it meant fewer locations overall.

I mentioned Evie's earlier ARENA plan before... would be nice if some of those made an appearance.. it seems whenever Evie scores another contract they forget about their old commitments....
There was a planned charger at the new Petrol Station/ Hungry Jacks in Bacchus Marsh (moorabool shire) listed on the building plans. Unsure whatever happened to it as can’t find it on any rollout map.

There was a planned charger at the new Petrol Station/ Hungry Jacks in Bacchus Marsh (moorabool shire) listed on the building plans. Unsure whatever happened to it as can’t find it on any rollout map.
We went by on the weekend. Its not there. Hungry Jacks is open, Petrol station is probably a few weeks off. There is nothing at all. There are some parking bays which look to be in a position to do possible EV charging (2 groups of 3 or 4 on the edge) but there is no infrastructure.. maybe in 12 months

We went by on the weekend. Its not there. Hungry Jacks is open, Petrol station is probably a few weeks off. There is nothing at all. There are some parking bays which look to be in a position to do possible EV charging (2 groups of 3 or 4 on the edge) but there is no infrastructure.. maybe in 12 months
Yeah I have heard that. The whole area is under construction still but from the look of the planning permits it looks to be a nice rest stop when completed

I used the Castlemaine CTR site last night. Pulled in, there was a Kona there. They were on their way back to the car pretty much as we were moseying around looking at how much % they had. They mentioned they were a local.

As I left, there was another Model 3 parked a few spaces away. The driver was just leaving his car, and assuming he wanted to charge we called out that we were done, but he said he didn’t need to use it - was just popping to the supermarket (so presumably also a local).

The owner of the place I was staying *also* had an EV (Leaf e+). So in a regional town of 10k people, I identified 3 local owners less than 3 hours after arriving.

Plus the Model 3 that was leaving town as we were going in - anyone know the red Model 3 WYLDUK? :)

As for my charge, I used it for 16 minutes and drew 75 kW the entire time (21% to 50%). Very useful for getting to Melbourne the next day.