Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victoria - The Anti-EV State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AEVA Vic Branch statement on shock removal of EV subsidy​

As part of the Victorian budget cuts, the $3000 subsidy for EVs costing less than $68,740 will cease on June 30th 2023. Buyers signing a contract with an authorised dealer before then will receive the subsidy even if delivery is after June 30th. There are still about 2000 subsidies available.

... and the Victorian ZLEV road-user charge is likely to increase from July 1st 2023 in line with other Victorian indexed fees and charges which come into effect on July 1st each year.

And then you look at other jurisdictions that seemingly actively promote the uptake of EVs.

Reactions: David Sowden
Subsidy, Subsidy your lucky. In our state/territory we got no subsidy. (We do get reduced stamp duty & $57 dollar discount on rego). Fast charging, we used to dream of fast charging (Now only 1600Klm between both fast chargers so can't complain) And we lived in a shoe box in the middle of the road, till they moved the road.

Reactions: Nickdp
Will Queensland overtake Victoria in EV ownership?

So far there does not appear to be any evidence that Victoria’s EV policies have affected EV uptake. According to the Electric Vehicle Council’s 2022 EV recap published in February, NSW and VIC were tied in second place (after the ACT) with the highest share of EV sales as a percentage of new vehicle sales. QLD is in 5th place.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
I live in Victoria. I personally don't care about the ZEV rebate. I think EVs are convincing enough to sell themselves, just gives more ammunition to the EV questioners.

The RUC, I am in two minds about, EVs should pay for their fair share of road use, but its not a state tax to collect. If they want to do this, abolish fuel excise and let the states collect it.

Do remember you get a $100 discount on the yearly registration fee however (by the same discount also applies to hybrids).

I agree with the removal of the EV subsidy. People who buy $60-80K cars should not be getting a government handout. They don't need it.
Tesla sells its vehicles without needing ads. They basically sell themselves.

If the Govt wants to increase EV usage, they should build EV charging infrastructure instead, put EV into public transportation such as EV buses

The RUC, I am in two minds about, EVs should pay for their fair share of road use, but its not a state tax to collect.
Agreed. It's not the RUC I object to so much, it's they way it's been implemented at the State level. For example, I have driven a lot on NSW and ACT roads and Victoria collects my money - not a cent goes to NSW/ACT for the use of their roads. Is this fair?

Maybe there should be a "Federal Road User Charge" component added to everyone's annual registration in all States - for all vehicles, EV, Hybrid, ICE, etc. Maybe reduce the fossil fuel excise as part of this shift in revenue collection. Maybe this would be a fairer system as we progress towards the majority of vehicles being non-fossil fuel (yes, I know that a few year's out - but I'm thinking long term).

Regarding the Victorian ZEV Subsidy - yes, it's inevitable that the subsidy would have to go. The main message for Victorians for now is that you should order your EV before the end of this month :)

Agreed. It's not the RUC I object to so much, it's they way it's been implemented at the State level. For example, I have driven a lot on NSW and ACT roads and Victoria collects my money - not a cent goes to NSW/ACT for the use of their roads. Is this fair?

Maybe there should be a "Federal Road User Charge" component added to everyone's annual registration in all States - for all vehicles, EV, Hybrid, ICE, etc. Maybe reduce the fossil fuel excise as part of this shift in revenue collection. Maybe this would be a fairer system as we progress towards the majority of vehicles being non-fossil fuel (yes, I know that a few year's out - but I'm thinking long term).

Regarding the Victorian ZEV Subsidy - yes, it's inevitable that the subsidy would have to go. The main message for Victorians for now is that you should order your EV before the end of this month :)

There are so many reasons to get one before the end of the month, ZEV subsidy, FBT Exemption and Instant Asset Tax writeoff up to $100,000k!

Reactions: Zigman
It's not the RUC I object to so much, it's they way it's been implemented at the State level. For example, I have driven a lot on NSW and ACT roads and Victoria collects my money - not a cent goes to NSW/ACT for the use of their roads. Is this fair?

I guess when the NSW RUC comes into effect (on 1 July 2027, or when EVs are 30% of new sales, whichever comes first) the answer to that will be “yes”.

I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with one another. Eg, you can claim all
agree

There are so many reasons to get one before the end of the month, ZEV subsidy, FBT Exemption and Instant Asset Tax writeoff up to $100,000k!
ZEV subsidy yes
FBT exemption - only if LCT = 0
Instant Asset writeoff (IAW): yes but the depreciation limit to EOFY 2023 is $64741K for vehicles with less than 1T payload
Temporary full expensing (TPE) :yes but the depreciation limit to EOFY 2023 is $64741K for vehicles with less than 1T payload

Can do IAW or TPE but not both.

The difference between IAW and TFE is:
IAW: Full write off for assets that cost less than $150K and first used from 12Mar2020
TPE: Full write off for assets first held from 6Oct 2020 (basically the covid subsidy)

Again the IAW and TPE will have limits (EOFT 2023 = $64741) for any car or EV when the payload is less than 1T

(At least thats my understanding and Im not a tax lawyer or accountant)

• Informative
Reactions: Zoltrix77