Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(VIDEO) - 3P+ Loud mechanical / failure noise from front compartment while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn! I was going to post that it's a pebble in the brake. Why would I know this? Because I had exactly that happen to my P3D twice, and someone else posted the cause of the issue after experiencing the same. Apparently, the other person was told by Tesla that there's a cover that they can install to prevent a reoccurrence. I've been lucky and haven't had it happen again, but definitely know that feeling of thinking a metal-on-metal sound is not a nice thing to hear from your car.

Follow up: There was a rock was in the brake backing plate! Service notes: "Found scraping noise from the right front. Rock stuck in brake backing plate. Remove rock. Drive. Noise no longer present."

So that was interesting :). While it was there, I had a bunch of other stuff addressed as well (turn signal, spoiler, alignment).

I had this problem once.
I wonder what is different about the brake heat shield on Teslas relative to any other car I have ever owned? It must be a little bit closer to the rotor I suppose? I had heard something about a redesigned part for this but I guess they did not replace yours? Maybe not for the P3D...the heat shields would be different diameter than on the AWD.

Last edited:
I had the exact same sound 2 days ago.. loud screeching metal rubbing sound, front right, M3P September, found to be the brake shied on the inner side touching close to the rotor.. pushed it inwards separating the shield and disc and no sound since.
Tesla roadside on phone through rock between brake pads and disc and advised accelerate/brake quickly to free.. which wasn’t this sound.. that has been another intermittent sound present on braking at times. Perhaps some debris or rust on pads... live in north east with lots of snow and salt..

This was however persistent, front right focused, very loud on fwd drive, minimal/much lower on reverse.

Car running well after fix.. To be sure, requested mobile service appointment.. they are working to schedule an appointment in 1-2 weeks

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Follow up: There was a rock was in the brake backing plate! Service notes: "Found scraping noise from the right front. Rock stuck in brake backing plate. Remove rock. Drive. Noise no longer present."

So that was interesting :). While it was there, I had a bunch of other stuff addressed as well (turn signal, spoiler, alignment).

Wow, I never suspected a rock caught in there could make such a horrible noise. It does seem to fit that it came and went with no errors.

Phew !! You must be a happy camper.

Picture of new Spoiler or it didn't happen ;)

I don't believe a word of it.
I have had a rock in the rotor in my ICE car before and it does not do that to a car.

I don't believe a word of it.
I have had a rock in the rotor in my ICE car before and it does not do that to a car.

Every car can sound different and it can sound different even where it gets lodged on the same car.

But when I watched the video what threw me off is the frequencies didn't seem to jive with his traveling speed. Sounded like it was speeding up and slowing down when he looked like he was steady or slowing down.