Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIDEO - dishonest price tricks on the Tesla website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your circuit panel I imagine is in the same garage though
Obviously everyone’s situation is different on this and a bit off topic since is not Tesla’s fault ; my breaker is in a finished basement on opposite side of house from the garage.
Others will have it worse then me I am sure (need a new panel, etc...)

I felt that a short video could say more in less time than a wall of text here. This is about how Tesla tries to get you to see the small number while still paying the big one. This "after potential savings" thing needs to disappear from the website.

That price reflects the savings you get from stealing power from parking garages w/o their consent.....

If the OP wanted to point out Tesla ordering site “dishonesty,” the better example would be found on the FSD ordering page, “Really”...

2923D458-79CB-47C6-977D-65F47BAAE363.png

If the OP wanted to point out Tesla ordering site “dishonesty,” the better example would be found on the FSD ordering page, “Really”...

When you pay for Tesla's FSD, you should understand that you are actually investing money into Tesla's FSD research, and that you most likely will lose your money. But I would feel good if in process Tesla makes the Real FSD day closer.

Also, with FSD I hope to get complete updates that will not cut my car's features as it happened to some other Teslas (like reducing the SR range).

I never had a problem with this. But then I can read smaller print and know what after potential savings means and figure out what I'll be expected to pay at time of purchase. If one can afford to pay for a Tesla I don't see how people can't figure that out for themselves. I chalk it up to people just looking to complain about Tesla in some way or maybe in one's excitement to buy this car online they forget how to read or fly past the words to get to the Order Now button. ;)

I never had a problem with this. But then I can read smaller print and know what after potential savings means and figure out what I'll be expected to pay at time of purchase. If one can afford to pay for a Tesla I don't see how people can't figure that out for themselves. I chalk it up to people just looking to complain about Tesla in some way or maybe in one's excitement to buy this car online they forget how to read or fly past the words to get to the Order Now button. ;)

When I placed my order for my tesla in late november, this topic of potential savings etc was much less clear on the website. You could obviously find it, but it was less clear than it is now. Now, its much more clear.

I view this post by the OP as just another version of "look at my video". Sensationalist title thread title... check. First post includes "I made a video to showcase....." check.

Not sure why everyone is falling for this in this thread, you have all seen this before.

Reactions: brkaus
The only thing Tesla can say truthfully is “Federal, State and Local rebates may reduce the price of this car, and it will be cheaper to operate than the ICE car it replaces.” Citing a specific number is just an arm waving marketing ploy. Tesla has no idea what your savings will be. As I have said before, my gasoline “savings” for a Model 3 v the Prius it would replace would pay for my 14-50 outlet installation ($1200) in a bit over 2 years. Forget the cost of the car.
Robin

I don't know about everywhere, but where I am it's even worse.

Tesla shows two numbers on their site, with or without all those discounts that may or may not materialize. The problem is they refuse to show actual all-in (tax included) pricing. Every other manufacturer shows this.

The problem is they refuse to show actual all-in (tax included) pricing. Every other manufacturer shows this.

There are 50 states in the US, and each state has its own taxes on new cars. Some require collection of taxes at sale, others collect taxes at registration. I know of no car manufacturer in the US (at least in several states I know) who adds taxes to the car prices on the webpage. I guess Tesla has insufficient experience and resources to provide localization of sales experience in Canada. I looked up and found at least 4 different taxes and fees applicable in BC, but they should be straightforward to calculate.

At least this OP is pretty open about this being basically a clickbait type thread.

Eh, yes and no is my answer there. The way the screens are displayed in the video is the way they come up by default when you go to the site. Yes, there are tabs you can click to see the numbers displayed differently, but for the average non-technical internet user, they will see the numbers like this FIRST.

And clickbait? Again, yes and no. There is so much content out there on YT, it is tough to get people's attention Got to smack them upside the head, and maybe you'll have them for a few minutes. Like me, for example. I'm putting out some cutting edge stuff, like the whole living in the gray-parts-of-life-non-black-and-white-world of the garage charging videos, and I'm getting a couple hundred views per video at best. Far below expectations. I keyword the heck out of every video when it is being added to the YT channel. I've got to get on a few more Tesla forums and advertise. Not spam, the word is ADVERTISE:rolleyes:).

And how can Tesla even offer predictions of how much you'll save? There are too many variables. What's the person's local gas price, electricity price, and do they drive 5,000 miles or 25,000 miles a year? All these will make a huge difference.

Yes, there are tabs you can click to see the numbers displayed differently, but for the average non-technical internet user, they will see the numbers like this FIRST.

You can make the same argument for literally every car manufacturer. Most if not all manufacturers websites list starting prices. Say, Chevy Tahoe's price is shown in BOLD as starting at $48,000, but then in smaller grey font the site states that the actual car that is shown is $63,195. And no company lists delivery and doc fees up front … and no company in the US includes taxes that you will pay on your car (at least in most states).

Personally, I do not like it, but this is our reality, and your focus on Tesla specifically is a big nothingburger.