Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Is Tesla America's Best Automaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adam Jonas is a believer. But, this other pundit just makes no sense - I don't think the "masses" buy a $40k car to travel around the country watching the Grateful Dead - huh? I'm glad Jonas handled him so smoothly by referring to the supercharger network... can't wait for Elon to prove some of these pundits wrong with the upcoming announcement :mad:

Adam Jonas is a believer. But, this other pundit just makes no sense - I don't think the "masses" buy a $40k car to travel around the country watching the Grateful Dead - huh? I'm glad Jonas handled him so smoothly by referring to the supercharger network... can't wait for Elon to prove some of these pundits wrong with the upcoming announcement :mad:

If you want to do something that less than 1/10th of a percent of the car buying public does - live like a nomad for a year and drive long distance every day - then the Tesla isn't for you. Fine. The other 99.9% of the car buying public can buy a Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone needs to tell Jim it's not 1995:

Yeah good idea to get technology advice from someone 18 years out of date.
"I got me one of those new CD players. Encyclopedias on CD-ROM are the future!"

I gotta say, it's immensely frustrating to hear time and again how the Model S is "niche product" because of it's inability to serve as a long road trip car. That's utterly absurd. The long road trip is the anomaly where as the daily commute is the norm. IMO, the only thing making the Model S a niche product today is its price. Either battery option is going to meet the vast majority of the needs of drivers.

It was nice to hear the smart, well spoken analyst talking so positively about Tesla and the future of the product. All I can say is that they'd better get on Gen III because other, larger, automakers are paying attention and one of them will throw some serious $$$ at building a 200+ mile EV that's priced for the masses.

Last edited:
If you want to live like a nomad for a year and drive long distance every day - then the Tesla isn't for you.
But when the supercharger network will be deployed, you will be able to say :
If you want to live like a nomad for a year and drive free distance every day - then the Tesla is the only one for you.

Pretty cool :smile:

I have to say -- the number one issue (there isn't a close 2nd) expressed by people admiring my Model S, how do I make long trips? That issue is expressed on about 80% of the people, long before the question of price is brought up. While the daily commute might be the norm, people buy vehicles based on ALL thier requirements - even those that make up 10% of the time.

I have to say -- the number one issue (there isn't a close 2nd) expressed by people admiring my Model S, how do I make long trips? That issue is expressed on about 80% of the people, long before the question of price is brought up. While the daily commute might be the norm, people buy vehicles based on ALL thier requirements - even those that make up 10% of the time.

We have five kids and have had a Honda Odyssey minivan for nearly 11 years. The furthest it's gone from Boston is 210 miles to New York City (which I did on the third day I had my S, stopping at the Milford Supercharger for lunch), 160 miles to skiing in northern New Hampshire (where I'm working on getting Level 2 chargers installed at the hotel/ski area so I can charge for the return trip), and 240 miles to a cabin in the eastern Adirondacks (where I'm getting a 240V plug installed in the driveway for a few hundred $). This third trip will be a bit challenging until they install a Supercharger somewhere along the way, likely near the intersection of I-89 and I-91 at the NH/VT border according to the map shown at the announcement. I'll be hypermiling and may end up getting a little juice at a Level 2 charger along the way in Lebanon, Montpelier or Burlington just to make sure I can get there. Will definitely need to charge along the way if we go in winter - or just give in and take the Odyssey.

The point is that people are often asking or hesitating based not on 10% requirements, but on 0% - something they might potentially do, even if they've never done it yet. Tesla needs to get them over that hump, and accelerating the Supercharger rollout is critical to doing so.

Adam Jonas is a believer. But, this other pundit just makes no sense - I don't think the "masses" buy a $40k car to travel around the country watching the Grateful Dead - huh?...

And the irony of that comment is the the typical Grateful Dead "hippie" is more likely be the first to buy and drive an electric car across the country, stopping and filling up their loaded S at organic communes and hostels than most other segments of the population.

Adam Jonas sees the "tipping" point has arrived. He has warned the other American auto makers that they had better hurry up if they want to compete with Tesla.

Elon's game plan is working to perfection. By the time Gen3 is ready, consumers will prepared to go all in on Tesla.

Game, Set, Match....

Adam Jonas sees the "tipping" point has arrived. He has warned the other American auto makers that they had better hurry up if they want to compete with Tesla.

Elon's game plan is working to perfection. By the time Gen3 is ready, consumers will prepared to go all in on Tesla.

Game, Set, Match....

If you want to go with a tennis analogy, I think it's more appropriate to say that Tesla is up a break in the first set of a best-of-five set match.

The point is that people are often asking or hesitating based not on 10% requirements, but on 0% - something they might potentially do, even if they've never done it yet. Tesla needs to get them over that hump, and accelerating the Supercharger rollout is critical to doing so.

I drove from DFW to NE and back in my Model S last week (about 1300 miles for trip plus a few hundred miles at the destination). It was a great trip. So I guess it's not zero.

For pretty much all of the people who brought up the long trip question, the Model S today wouldn't work for them. Examples ranged from monthly trips from MD to AL, MD to Up state PA, and for me from PA to MI. I do that trip maybe 2x a year (we'll see how much arm twisting my parents will do) - so, I will either keep my ICE or rent one if I decide to sell my car. In either case, I don't expect to be able to use my S. So these requirements are REAL and really do need a viable solution for people to jump on board. I am really looking forward to Tesla deploying these SuperChargers.

Not zero for you, but could well be zero for many.

Almost everyone I know drives on a vacation trip, unless they are crossing some large body of water.

How did you break up the trip for charging, with no superchargers available yet?

Just like a flight plan.

1) Divide the trip into segments that will still leave you with some just-in-case range.

2) Select some RV parks that are near the distance selected in step one and have alternates. Call and confirm they will be available and have 50 amp outlets. Make a pre-paid reservation if necessary.

3) Go on the trip and have fun.

Superchargers are a nice-to-have, but they aren't mandatory for a vacation trip where half the fun should be getting there.

Tip: For a fun drive, avoid Interstates like the plague.