Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Video] Tesla Model S with BMW interior for $30000 - project by Moscow Tesla Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part 1: Moscow Tesla Club overview and impression of Model S interior tuning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NG0BRJn-aU

Part 2: The interview with an owner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmH-S_3-rIk

* The owner’s opinion may be different from our’s (Moscow Tesla Club team).

The Story:
Andrey had been quite unhappy with the Model S interior - just exactly as much as he always loved his Tesla’s driving performance, exterior and the general vibe of that amazing car.

However, there is no issue impossible to be solved if the one is willing and passionate enough. A wishlist was composed just rapidly, and so was the search of a workshop manful enough to fulfill Andrey’s goals.

A few months passed - and now this Tesla’s interior is a real piece of art. It contains premium natural leather BMW 6-series seats with memory, custom floor console with handy cupholders and a bunch of USB plugs, natural leather front panel and the steering wheel, and much more. The result pretty much speaks for itself - as you can see it on pictures, the renewed interior is really cozy, comfortable and kinda classy.

DSC_8126_1000x662.jpg

DSC_8071_1000x662.jpg

DSC_8082_1300x861.jpg

DSC_8065_1300x861.jpg

( Here is russian language post with some pictures:http://teslamodelx.ru/model-s/tyuning-tesla-model-s-v-moscow-tesla-club.html )

We’ve taken this Tesla for a week and driven it back and forth in Moscow to shoot some video with Moscow Tesla Club overview. Afterwards, we’ve had a chat with Andrey, when he guided us through his Tesla in detail - that is also filmed. Here are both clips we are proud to present.

Last edited by a moderator:
If those are BMW's articulating "comfort" seats - which I used to have on a 5 series - they are a lot more comfortable than Tesla's seats (both the 1st and second iterations) in my opinion. So regardless of what one thinks of the looks, I'd rather be sitting in those BMW seats.

And I applaud our Russian brothers for taking the time and money to do such quality work on an interior change - it's valuable I think, to envision how a Tesla alternative interior might look.

I love Tesla - have a Model S on order - but the interiors have a long, long way to go to match the Germans. I would be a blind fanboy if I pretended the Tesla interior is on par with a high end German or Italian interior.

Even if one wants minimalism, the quality of materials Tesla uses simply feel in many places "cheap." Minimalism can be beautiful and rich, but to achieve that the materials need to feel and look very high quality.

I think many people would happily pay another $10,000 or more for an optional interior upgrade.

Last edited:
[Video] Tesla Model S with BMW interior for $30000 - project by Moscow Tesla ...

It looks beautiful to me. I like everything about it.

Edit: except the console and visor.

Would this void the warranty?

Last edited:
What, no criticizing of taste expressions?
Isn't beauty in the eye of beholder and hence untouchable?
Mods, were are you?!? Scandal!
Or is it just Model X that is 'un-commentable' on poor looks?

(All four) Thumbs up for walking the walk. Too many people are satisfied by talking the talk.
I suggest offering same/similar upgrade to other tesla owners. If only in russia, so be it. Something is better then nothing.

If those are BMW's articulating "comfort" seats - which I used to have on a 5 series - they are a lot more comfortable than Tesla's seats (both the 1st and second iterations) in my opinion. So regardless of what one thinks of the looks, I'd rather be sitting in those BMW seats.

And I applaud our Russian brothers for taking the time and money to do such quality work on an interior change - it's valuable I think, to envision how a Tesla alternative interior might look.

I love Tesla - have a Model S on order - but the interiors have a long, long way to go to match the Germans. I would be a blind fanboy if I pretended the Tesla interior is on par with a high end German or Italian interior.

Even if one wants minimalism, the quality of materials Tesla uses simply feel in many places "cheap." Minimalism can be beautiful and rich, but to achieve that the materials need to feel and look very high quality.

I think many people would happily pay another $10,000 or more for an optional interior upgrade.
100% agree, but for $130,000 we shouldn't have to pay ANY extra for an interior that doesn't feel like the materials being used are what's found in the back of a cop car for drunks who pee themselves

- - - Updated - - -

And if you watch the entire video, the "tester" points out some good stuff.
he hates the new console for several reasons.,.cup holders right under the screen for one!
he shows new back seats have NO center headrest which is a pet view blocking peeve of many.
and a favorite is they've put some buttons high up on the door that control seat heat AND ventilation.
the leather on the door gets rid of the current plastic crap feel BUT I think many here (including me) would like it much better if it wasn't blue and two tone. Watch entire video, the leather work is great

Love the idea of putting a more luxurious interior in a Model S, Great job!
I know a lot of people, including Andrew in the video, criticize the Model S for its simplistic interior, but it was probably a priority thing in the end. Get the car on the road summer of 2012 and maximize the mechanical/body design which couldn't be changed once in mass production.
The interior will come later (we hope!)
Also I think the original interior feels cheaper than it actually is due to the weight saving priorities. The lack of storage btw is to maximize range by preventing people from carrying loads of unused/forgotten stuff deep down in pockets.
I sometimes compare the Model S more to an airplane than a car in terms of design optimization.

My gut feeling is Model S would be 7000 Lbs if it were built with conventional methods and had a big enough battery to still have 265 miles range and 5.4 NHTSA stars, everything else equal.
In this context a simple interior doesn't feel so bad after all.

Last edited:
Great job with the conversion.

Obvious tech angle:

• USB-Hub with 2A fast charge capability
  • USB-Hub in center console cubby with UPS-capability for always on gadgets
  • 100W Laptop charger (could be USB-C 3.1 in the future)
These should be $50-100 in material cost and Tesla really should think about implementing them at least in the premium interior. I would be very curious about additional vampire drain, though.

Easily implemented by Tesla:

• better steering wheel ergonomics and feel
  • larger sunscreens with lighted larger vanity mirrors
  • better center console
This should really be on the agenda.

Conscious decision was made by Tesla against

• more relaxing seating angle in the back
  • door storage, backseat pockets
  • adjustable headrests
According to this forum many people don't agree.

Luxury interior

• luxury front seats
  • luxury interior materials
If Tesla were to cooperate with a smaller scale aftermarket outfitter or create such a subsidiary, additional functionality of could be integrated in the front console and such a luxury option could be implemented without complicating the vehicle assembly line and supply logistics.

I am especially curious about the additional weight of the car and resulting range effects, due to the refit.

Many people have complained about or are put off by the Tesla interior and for those it might be acceptable to pay $10-20k more for such a traditional luxury interior. Especially in the Chinese market such options for the Model X to create such a true chauffered "eXecutive" EV might sell well.

On the other hand, many people are happy with the Tesla interior as is or even prefer Tesla's design minimalism. And as Tesla is production constrained for a long time to come and seems to be interested to move towards the mass market, it is more likely that they will continue streamlining their assembly instead of creating such far reaching options.

Personally, I thought the owner of the Tesla made very thoughtful changes to his car and I would love some Tesla higher up or even Elon to check the car out and test drive it for a few days.

How much of the things that are different in a Tesla from other cars, come from Elon Musk's too personal viewpoint. The backwards facing seats are clearly inspired by his five sons. Is the back seat bench also optimised for seating three children, neglecting tall adults, with its vertical backrest and short lumbar support? Is the lack of storage due to him especially disliking car clutter? How much of that is Franz von Holzhausen's viewpoint and how much was purely guided by economical decisions?