Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View side videos streaming while driving forward (?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find those little images way too small to register fast enough. In addition I find that they are much darker than the main backup camera. I wish they would balance the colour and brightness of them so they are all the same. Backup camera is almost always excellent in terms of colour and brightness compared to the real world.

Some people just can’t accept that what they think they know is wrong. Once I finally learned how mirrors should actually be pointed in my late 20s or early 30s it was a surprise. With properly adjusted mirrors every car is present in one of your mirrors at all times until it is far enough forward that it is also easily visible if you look beside you ( not over your shoulder).

The guy arguing with you no doubt has his side mirrors looking at his car and has major overlap with what the rear view already shows.

Some people just can’t accept that what they think they know is wrong. Once I finally learned how mirrors should actually be pointed in my late 20s or early 30s it was a surprise. With properly adjusted mirrors every car is present in one of your mirrors at all times until it is far enough forward that it is also easily visible if you look beside you ( not over your shoulder).

The guy arguing with you no doubt has his side mirrors looking at his car and has major overlap with what the rear view already shows.

no, actually, i don't.

i'll play along, though. tell us, oh great one, how we're supposed to adjust the mirrors.

Wrong. I took all the steps to adjust correctly. A live video feed offers so much more. You obviously have never driven a car with it.

Im not sure looking to the side and down for cars in a video (that lags slightly) makes driving safer.
As a 52-year-old with plenty of driving experience under my belt, I feel the camera in my wife's Honda is WAY safer than using the mirror. There's literally no blindspot, and the lines that are overlaid on the video allow me to know exactly how many car lengths I'd have if I have to merge into the lane to the right of me.

Another innovation would be if, when traveling at highway speeds, when you turn the blinker on, the driving visualizations on the left side of the screen zoomed out so that it shows much further behind the car. Right now it doesn't show more than one car length behind you, so you can't see if people are coming up to overtake on the left or right. The other cars only show up if they are right next to you.

Last edited:
anyone without a blind spot mirror likely does. i don't know anyone who was taught to drive that wasn't taught to check your blind spot before changing lanes...
Including me, trained back in the 70s. And I drove that way until about two years ago when I learned on a Tesla forum how to set my mirrors. It was unnerving at first, not seeing my own car, but I adapted quickly, and I loooove never having over-the-shoulder blind spots anymore! I feel much safer.

Reactions: DDHEverything

I have driven with properly adjusted mirrors like you have quoted and the live feed passenger lane assist in Honda. The Honda system is so much better and I feel safer. You can always choose to not enable and use it should Tesla have that option. I would enable and use it. That is the beauty - choicer.