Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View TeslaCam Videos in Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Tesla pays for that cellular connection by the megabyte. That's why they don't use it for updates until your car is many versions behind.

Plus I can just see people parking their cars in front of their girlfriend's house and watching it from remote. "Who's that guy?"

Although it might be nice to park near the mall charger and check-in while you shop. If a station frees up run and move your car. Hopefully, public chargers will get better about showing their availability in their app the way Tesla and ChargePoint do.
I could see Tesla offering this capability as part of a paid service. At this point I'd say the biggest problem would be managing that sort of service, as opposed to any technical issues.
I would bet that you get in the car press the (i) info link and it will list events. Then you will probably be able select to view them on the screen. Right now pressing the (i) info link doesn't do anything so something MUST be coming.

View attachment 420892
All notifications have an image there to denote errors vs warnings vs information. I wouldn't put too much stock in it meaning any future improvements.

Reactions: tfraley
I was thinking about an app to view the videos and did a quick search and found this thread. Brilliant!

Any chance of getting an "Open Folder" option, that would get all of the dated subfolders in a list? After playing videos from one folder, it could jump to the next one.

I recently added some requested features to the web app.
  • Play video at half speed.
  • Added individual buttons to quickly change speed to desired rate.
To access the application, just go to the site. Nothing to download, install, or upload.

Tesla%20Web%20App%20screen.png

TeslaCam Video WebApp Player

Last edited:
Does the viewer work when using iPhone Safari? Haven’t been able to see anything place after selecting the clips.

I believe technically it should work as long as the browser is capable of playing the video codec - although I haven't tested yet. Select all the files in the directory as it may not play if only selecting an individual file.

I'm ordering a USB-C adaptor to test loading the videos into my Android phone.

I created a web app for viewing TeslaCam dashcam and sentry video clips that I would like to share and get feedback. Works on Mac or Windows using Chrome, Safari or IE browsers.

TeslaCam Viewer

The app uses your local file system and browser - so nothing to install or upload. Click Choose Files button and select all the mp4 video files within a directory and the app will play the videos from the left, front, and right cameras simultaneously on the screen. Click the speed button to cycle through 1x, 3x or 10x speeds. Will play all the one-minute videos in order by timestamp in the filename.

Let me know any thoughts if this is useful or ideas to make it better. It would be nice if this would just work from the Tesla browser in the car and have access to the files directly mounted from the USB TeslaCam directory.

UPDATE:
Teslas with HW3 appear to have HEVC H.265 video encoded for dashcam and sentry videos rather than H.264 (which works with most browsers). H.265 video format primarily only works on Microsoft Edge and Safari browsers. Some on Windows 10 have also needed to download a Microsoft extension to play their videos. That link is: Get HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer - Microsoft Store

VERY VERY COOL! Thank you very much for putting this together

I am going to donate to this project. Definitely helps view footage.

A nice feature would be to load up the root directory of the drive and be able to scan by date or event rather than having to open each sub directory one by one and select all the files repeatedly.

Thanks again for making this!

Reactions: jdeskins
Those of you looking for a delete feature should note that when you push the Choose Files button, you are basically in a file manager and can do most things the file manager does (move, rename, delete, and so on). The folder you most recently selected is still selected, making it easy to find.

Also, you can select all the file in the folder after you click on one of them, by pressing control-A (command-A in OS X).

• Informative
Finding a need. Having the skill and resources to fill that need. Making it available to the entire community. Listening, learning, improving.

Restores my faith in humanity. Thank you @jdeskins for your excellent and inspirational work.

Now, if we can just get Tesla onboard to improve the their end of things....

I figured the highest form of compliment was to push the Donate button. Having done that, I feel better about commenting.

Confronted with a mountain of saved clips (that a reasonable person would just delete), I was trying to view them one by one using the OS X inbuilt player, and dragging the tiny handle along trying to watch them faster. Progress was slow. So I tried installing the other viewer that has been posted to this forum, but it just got stuck and it wouldn't play. (I also tried to compile it, but that has errors, too--now I have two projects :)...) So failing, that, I tried Jeff's "browser page", and it's brilliant! Not only does everything it says, but ended up trying it on different computers and different browsers. It makes a big difference where I run it, so I can select for the best experience.

It's interesting that when I started reading this thread, I was dismayed by all the comments that said, "Nice program, but you need to make it do X". Well, it turns out that the initial release was pretty simple--and I was now using the version that came after all those suggestions were implemented! So it's a breeze to use. I would suggest that "left" and "right" belong in opposite places when viewed from the front of the car. When I put the left repeater in the big window, it is next to the right repeater, and you can watch cars go from one camera to the other in a manner that makes sense to my brain.

And so I got through the whole thumb drive (50G worth) in just a few sessions. Well done!

Reactions: EVnut
That requires TONS of CPU. This is a great solution as it runs at bandwidth in real time. All 3 videos playing up to 10x allowing you to enlarge the one of interest and skip to the minute you want, otherwise, it just plays straight thru. The only gain would be not having that split second stutter as it changes to the next 3 videos, but you would have to select the videos you wanna combine and then wait for them your computer fan spinning loudly the whole time.

Quick update...

I'm finishing up on the ability to load a root directory of saved TeslaCam events and navigate through the events in the browser. That's been one of the main features requested by users. Took a little longer to get there and still testing through a few scenarios. Also making it easier to use on mobile devices so you can just plug the usb drive directly into your phone using an adaptor.

• Love
Reactions: Tuazon81 and Runt8