Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Views on handling performance - p85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When pushed the P85D understeers, its disappointing. .....power is noticeably limited in a corner and comes roaring back once the wheel is straight. This is absolutely fine for normal daily driving.

Thanks for the affirm. I wonder if you also notice the power cut comes without wheel slippage, which would trigger stability control on the RWD Teslas. That's something different. I haven't figured it out, but suspect either by g-force or some combination of speed and steering wheel angle, the P85D severely limits its power on exit. And, yes, to be fair this isn't "normal" driving, but it certainly is "Performance" driving.

That said, it handles better than any 5000 lb car should ever be able to.

I think this is the big thing. If you're expecting it to handle like a sports car, forget it. For its weight how it handles is amazing you've always got to remeber you're driving a 7-passenger car here. Comparing it to the Charger Hellcat would be much more appropriate, but even there the Charger is ~500lbs lighter.

That said, it handles better than any 5000 lb car should ever be able to.
I think this is the big thing. If you're expecting it to handle like a sports car, forget it. For its weight how it handles is amazing you've always got to remeber you're driving a 7-passenger car here. Comparing it to the Charger Hellcat would be much more appropriate, but even there the Charger is ~500lbs lighter.

This is the wrong way to look at it. I would not compare my P85D to my highly modified track Elise, nor would I compare it to another 5,000 lb car and say, 'The Tesla handles better than that 5,000 lb car, so it must handle well'.

I am looking at the immediate limitations and asking, can these issues be improved? The understeer can likely be improved by the owner with some testing and geometry modifications. The power cut during a turn can be fixed by Tesla with a software update. Both of these items would improve the car's handling and driving enjoyment.

I wonder if you also notice the power cut comes without wheel slippage, which would trigger stability control on the RWD Teslas.

I have not felt tire slippage in my P85D. Either the traction control is very quick and smooth to engage, or turning the steering wheel automatically limits power, making tire slippage less likely to occur. I tried to test the car on a wide, smooth dirt road. During a turn I gradually applied more throttle to see how the car would slide. I experienced very little slide and the power cut was significant. It felt very safe, the traction control would not let the car loose traction despite the gravel surface. Again, this is great for daily driving, but I have always had a problem with this type of invisible traction control. It lulls the driver into a false sense of security and an overconfidence in their driving ability. In the rare instances when the traction control is unable to handle the conditions, the driver has no idea how to handle or correct the slide.

Last edited:
In the rare instances when the traction control is unable to handle the conditions, the driver has no idea how to handle or correct the slide.

100% agree, in my fiat 500e [hey it drives pretty well with federal 595 rs tires on it] i routinely take a freeway onramp that starts from a traffic controlled left turn. every once in a while the light will be green and ill be able to take the corner at speed [
biggrin.gif
]. One morning i neglected to disable the ESC and it activated mid corner. the cars front right brake engaged and the whole cars trajectory altered. thankfully after driving my little electric mouse at 8/10th for 2 years now it was an easy correction... but the issue never would have happened if not for the Gov mandate system.

unfortunately teslas stance seems to be hoon, but only if its still 100% safe. meaning the car will let you have only so much fun until the systems detect danger and clamp down. some people have asked when can we turn off the systems, and IIRC tesla stance is "nope."

side note, because of your sig i just calculated my superchaged miatas lb/hp sigh... still too high, 10.4lb/hp
frown.gif

Last edited:
In the UK production cars are meant to be delivered with under steer for safety - given that achieving perfect balance is going to be difficult to achieve in a family saloon which might be heavily loaded with luggage, it's a safer setting than risk of oversteer.

When I drove a P85D in the US in February I tried really hard to induce slide or traction loss, and was seriously impressed with the car's cornering. Unfortunately I have yet to drive the latest suspension setup and would like to know how it compares.