Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN assigned a few days back by 27XXX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A NOOB question. I placed an order for a Model 3 Long Range Red and finally got a VIN assigned. However, the VIN is of the 27XXX series. I know that the numbers currently are in the 6XXXX series. Have I been assigned an a rejected delivery/gone through some repair type car? Should I take delivery?

Reservation: Day 1
Invited: April 13
Finally Ordered: June 27
Tesla Called: June 27
Delivery: July 21

This seems to be typical from what I've been reading here in the forum. VINs in the mid-to-high 20K to low 30Ks have been reported in the Midwest and East Coast areas with recent confirmations/deliveries, 'tho there have been exceptions. My own 3 was confirmed 6/28 and is 444xx but I'm in the Bay Area. Tesla may have stockpiled cars prior to 7/1 in order to game the 200K US delivery date and the start of the phase-out of the $7500 Federal tax credit.

As far as deciding to take delivery, I'd closely inspect the car (there's several Model 3 checklists floating around) and spend some time before making up your mind. It's doubtful that they would let you take the car out for a test drive before you sign all the documents and fork over the $$$ but drive the car around for 15-30 minutes when they turn it over to you and be prepared to take it back to the delivery center if you have any concerns.

A NOOB question. I placed an order for a Model 3 Long Range Red and finally got a VIN assigned. However, the VIN is of the 27XXX series. I know that the numbers currently are in the 6XXXX series. Have I been assigned an a rejected delivery/gone through some repair type car? Should I take delivery?

Reservation: Day 1
Invited: April 13
Finally Ordered: June 27
Tesla Called: June 27
Delivery: July 21
Picked up my red 27xxx on June 26 in Richmond VA. Charged it up at home and left for vacation in the car for 400 mile treck to Charlesron SC. Car is beautiful, fun to drive. I have looked over every square inch and have not found any flaws, scratches, misaligned panels etc. No rattles or squeaks, all systems work great. The hardest part, but fun for me, is figuring out little things that are done differently than on other ice cars. The car also has all the updates like better back seats and fix for wind noise. Dont worry go pick up your 3. The internet forums have been awesome for answering questions. By the way the door label on mine has a manufacture date of 6/16/18.

Last edited:
I went though similar questions. Ordered 5/3, Delayed email, ISA called 6/20 with VIN 277xx, and we pickup Teslarac next Saturday. When we got our VIN, Tesla was building 43xxx. While it could have been built late May early June and sitting, my only concern is making sure we have the new rear seat. We don't take passengers much, but after seeing various videos of how rear passengers can't really get their legs to touch on the early seats, we hope we have the newer seats.