Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN assignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was assigned about two weeks ago, which is about 4 weeks before delivery on 9/19. Also got my final signed MVPA today. I think that may be because I have an extraordinarily capable delivery advisor or that I have owned a Model S since 2013. I feel very good about everything being in place nearly two weeks before delivery.

It may already be assigned behind the scenes. If you need it for securing your insurance (for example) you can ask you contact, they may be able to provide it.

I tried using that excuse with my Delivery Advisor to get it early and they still wouldn't, saying it can still change before delivery and that insurance companies only need 1 business day max. The VIN will appear in your Tesla account page once you have it as well, under the reservation number.

that insurance companies only need 1 business day max
Well if you don’t shop around that’s true. :rolleyes:

You can fake it to an extent using someone else’s VIN but you need one w/the right motor config to be sure.

I get why some IDAs are dodging on it, flexibility if something goes sideways in the logistics chain. Tesla seems to have some fluidity w/RWD car supply now.

Well if you don’t shop around that’s true. :rolleyes:

For sure lol, I couldn't since my house, and other cars are all with Allstate so made sense to go with them since everywhere else wouldn't give a discount without the home insurance also. I got lucky though as we forgot about it and called our agent at 6pm the night before delivery (11am the next morning) and he had the insurance emailed over in 30 minutes or so, so was happy about that!!!

Reactions: ℬête Noire
For sure lol, I couldn't since my house, and other cars are all with Allstate so made sense to go with them since everywhere else wouldn't give a discount without the home insurance also. I got lucky though as we forgot about it and called our agent at 6pm the night before delivery (11am the next morning) and he had the insurance emailed over in 30 minutes or so, so was happy about that!!!
Yeah, bundling benefits can take a lot of the mystery out of it assuming your current insurer isn't one of the few Bad For Teslas underwriters.

The way timing worked out I was at "That Time Of The Year" when I could switch house & car so I could plan ahead trying to figure out best overall package, but that's not going to be the case for everyone.

Also if you're doing a trade-in you are, depending on your state, covered under the old car's insurance for a short time window. Here in Texas that's 30-days.

I had a VIN on my Tesla page as of last week and since the past four days it’s disappeared and only shows my order number. MVPA signed, delivery scheduled for 9/26, and all other documents completed. Contacted my DA and he said not to worry but it’s just strange that VIN no longer on the page.

How can you determine from your VIN what the build date is? Took delivery if my Model 3 in early November; mine was a prebuilt model that the orig reservation holder dropped out of, and wanted to see exactly when it was assembled/built.
I don't know that you can accurately. You can however look on the sticker inside the driver door where the tire pressure label is. It will tell you year and month built.

Got it.. assuming this must be the built date
20181229_131505.jpg