Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN #'s not sequential?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got our vin for our MY and its 17xx when all the other ones coming out now are over 10xxx. I've read that the vins are meaningless numbers but given tesla's quality issues I'm concerned this is a vehicle that was sent back to the factory.

I've never heard of a car being assigned a vin and then 9000 other cars being produced prior to it. It doesn't make sense to me. I wonder if anyone has any insight other than what they were told by a rep. I don't trust what the reps say.

I would. Early cars with Tesla are not the ones to own.

That may have been true at one point, but Tesla has figured a lot of things out over the years. My neighbors have an early VIN Y and it’s perfect aside from one minor hatch misalignment. If OP is concerned, do a thorough pre-delivery inspection and reject a car that doesn’t pass muster.

We got our vin for our MY and its 17xx when all the other ones coming out now are over 10xxx. I've read that the vins are meaningless numbers but given tesla's quality issues I'm concerned this is a vehicle that was sent back to the factory.

I've never heard of a car being assigned a vin and then 9000 other cars being produced prior to it. It doesn't make sense to me. I wonder if anyone has any insight other than what they were told by a rep. I don't trust what the reps say.

I'm taking delivery next week of a VIN that's even lower. Not concerned. Might have had bugs and been sent back, but if it looks good to me on my inspection and drives well for a week thereafter, I'm good. Have learned enough about common issues in this forum to know what to look for. If I don't like it, I won't accept it, simple as that.

I would say one over 10,000 would not concern me either. The stop and start along with the new world vision may make that a crap shoot also. Them having to shut down and then start up again, under different circumstances, is almost start up 2.0. Would love to see an insulation wrap around a heat pump but that was hype and not from the source; the quieter the better but most likely no mods yet either. The cover enclosure over the heat pump (front end) fixed? The passenger rear seat height is a weird one for me and a bit on a bug. You should know what to check and note. Enjoy!

Reactions: Mastequila
Yeah ill check the build date. I've just never heard of vins not being sequential.
It's Tesla, there's a lot of stuff they do that I've never heard of. Probably has to do with the fact that they have multiple lines for the Y.
Yeah ill check the build date. I've just never heard of vins not being sequential.
Could be. The VINs seem all over the map though. It might be that there are multiple lines and each line gets assigned a certain amount of VINs? In the end I don't really know but it seems like build dates and VINs don't always line up 1:1. Let us know when you find out.

Reactions: Mastequila

My VIN is 01XX And I’ve had separate representatives tell me that my vehicle is pre-production and not even completed. Take that however you want but I was told the numbers are meaningless.