Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinfast Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow....pretty scathing review. He's confirmed its pretty much garbage. lol

i was in las vegas for the grant cardone convention mid february and thought i should go see the vf8 after watching this youtuber s take on the vf8, so i drove to the san diego showroom to take a look at one and meet up w an old friend from there,

my friend and i sat inside and looked around and we both thought i was a nice roomy car overall,

after talking to the sale rep there i walked away thinking that maybe vinfast had rushed things a bit bc they really are not sure of the 2nd delivery shipment to the usa, currently they only have the city edition for lease,

last i checked the vf8 msrp starts at 49k and decided to put in a reservation for a possible lease,

regarding the youtuber vid, i went back to watch it again and thought this guy is like the tesla haters in the early days, a bit zealous and unprofessional, maybe he doesn t know the automotive industry is a dirty playground w tons of dirty laundry that few ppl talk about, anyway w time we ll see how the vf8 pans out...

from my perspective i ve driven almost every single ev out there, they all have their own unique characteristics but in the end i cannot think of a single ev currently available that can surpass the model x - not even rolls-royce cars can be as exciting to look at or to drive as a model x,

but to be fair to other ev out there, none are as boring as any of my previously owned ice vehicles (and i have owned mercedes lexus etc...)

Last edited:
i was in las vegas for the grant cardone convention mid february and thought i should go see the vf8 after watching this youtuber s take on the vf8, so i drove to san diego showroom to take a look at one and meet up w an old friend,

my friend and i sat inside and looked around and we both thought i was a nice roomy car overall,

after talking to the sale rep there i walked away thinking that maybe vinfast had rushed things a bit bc they really are not sure of the 2nd delivery shipment to the usa, currently they only have the city edition for lease,

last i checked the vf8 msrp starts at 49k an decided to put in a reservation for a possible lease,

regarding the youtuber vid i went back to watch it again and thought this guy is like the tesla haters in the early days, a bit zealous and unprofessional, maybe he doesn t know the automotive industry is a dirty playground w tons of dirty laundry that few ppl talk about, anyway w time we see how the vf8 pans out...
Actually, Kyle is one of the most well respected EV journalists out there. He probably has hundreds of YouTube videos dating back to 2018 timeframe. He's also owned just about every EV out there. You should check out his track videos...he's a pretty damn good driver. For a time, he had the EV cannonball record in a Porsche Taycan.

His main gripe about the Vinfast was that it wasn't as fast as the horsepower suggests and the range is pretty abysmal (also efficiency is very bad). Its also pretty expensive given the Model Y LR is about the same price with incentives (or cheaper even). But let us know how it is when you take delivery.

Actually, Kyle is one of the most well respected EV journalists out there. He probably has hundreds of YouTube videos dating back to 2018 timeframe. He's also owned just about every EV out there. You should check out his track videos...he's a pretty damn good driver. For a time, he had the EV cannonball record in a Porsche Taycan.

His main gripe about the Vinfast was that it wasn't as fast as the horsepower suggests and the range is pretty abysmal (also efficiency is very bad). Its also pretty expensive given the Model Y LR is about the same price with incentives (or cheaper even). But let us know how it is when you take delivery.
i have seen 5 of his videos - he s a spirited guy for sure but quite immature... to call him a journalist is a very extensive offering of title...

i have seen 5 of his videos - he s a spirited guy for sure but quite immature... to call him a journalist is a very extensive offering of title...
Sure...he is probably best classified as a Youtube reviewer. However, he is willing to say something is crap and my experiences tend to align with his. Vinfast is shady as hell. They were offering so many perks and gifts to have good reviews of their product...basically coercing reviewers and journalists. Inside EVs podcast detailed a ton of some shady things they've done in the past with the Vinfast release. Take it for what its worth but I wouldn't be at all surprised when this gets reviewed by C&D or Motortrend or any other major publication and gets thrashed.

Sure...he is probably best classified as a Youtube reviewer. However, he is willing to say something is crap and my experiences tend to align with his. Vinfast is shady as hell. They were offering so many perks and gifts to have good reviews of their product...basically coercing reviewers and journalists. Inside EVs podcast detailed a ton of some shady things they've done in the past with the Vinfast release. Take it for what its worth but I wouldn't be at all surprised when this gets reviewed by C&D or Motortrend or any other major publication and gets thrashe
Sure...he is probably best classified as a Youtube reviewer. However, he is willing to say something is crap and my experiences tend to align with his. Vinfast is shady as hell. They were offering so many perks and gifts to have good reviews of their product...basically coercing reviewers and journalists. Inside EVs podcast detailed a ton of some shady things they've done in the past with the Vinfast release. Take it for what its worth but I wouldn't be at all surprised when this gets reviewed by C&D or Motortrend or any other major publication and gets thrashed.

maybe his video should have parts separated in terms of company profile and vehicle assessment - watching this particular vid it seems he was having a very bad day that interfered with objective assessment of vehicle - the way he treated the rep was very telling...

one sec he s talking about company the next the car and then antics take over... a company is fluid like human beings... full of flaws... a car is an object and is inanimate... you can be opinionated about the company but the car assessment should be free of opinions that are wholly self-involved.... after he spilled his gut about his own dealings with the company and what some other reviewer says then it just went down hill from there...

if he s passionate about consumer protection then look at vw diesel scandal, takata airbag scandal, and maybe talked about tesla s software litigations by consumers...

like i said before, auto industry is a dirty playground...

anyway e company is different w different marketing and sale tactics.... this is a topic all in itself separate from the car... furthermore there is so much lack of information that the youtube reviewer just makes up his own in it s absence...

not a good video...

@oldsport I think I get what you mean about Kyle's immaturity at times, it comes out most in how he sometimes disrespects his girlfriend (now fiance or wife?) on video. That does bother me.

That said @Apprunner is right, Kyle knows cars really well. He's extremely in tune with how a car feels and handles and is very good at getting that information across. When I was car shopping in late 2021 I found his reviews very useful for covering things I couldn't get to or didn't even consider in my limited test drive times and locations. Since then I still watch new reviews of his on occasion.

For all the cases and situations where I was able to test a car myself, I was always in strong agreement with Kyle's assessments. So I trust what he says for those aspects I couldn't squeeze into regular test drives. I've found his videos a lot more informative than a typical car mag review. (Though some MotorTrend writers have been impressing me in recent times with similarly getting a lot of nuance and detail across about a car's driving experience.)

Kyle is definitely an industry insider (now if not when he first started doing video reviews) and he is often beholden to automakers giving him access to fleet cars to review just like traditional car mag reviewers. So he has to emphasize the positive aspects of almost any car (not the VF8 🤣), but he's usually good about covering the weakness too. See his Mach-E GT PE test drive for a good example of this. Sometimes you do have to realize what isn't said though. E.g. if he says some car is fun or handles well, pay attention to the cars he chooses to compare it with - and consider which cars he avoided comparing. That'll give a hint where the car under review really falls in the "fun to drive" spectrum.

Reactions: Apprunner
i was in las vegas for the grant cardone convention mid february and thought i should go see the vf8 after watching this youtuber s take on the vf8, so i drove to the san diego showroom to take a look at one and meet up w an old friend from there,

last i checked the vf8 msrp starts at 49k and decided to put in a reservation for a possible lease,

If you do end up taking delivery of the VF8, please come back and post your thoughts on it. A quick search on Youtube doesn't really return any real English reviews of the VF8 other than the aforementioned Out of Spec review.

While I have no interest in a Vinfast myself, I'm fascinated by how they might do in the US market. On paper, and based on the limited information I've seen, I cannot fathom how they could possibly succeed without a sizable reduction in MSRP. But I would love to check one out myself one day and also see more real world reviews of it.

@oldsport I think I get what you mean about Kyle's immaturity at times, it comes out most in how he sometimes disrespects his girlfriend (now fiance or wife?) on video. That does bother me.

I apologize if I'm turning this into some sort of a gossip corner, but on a recent video Kyle did reveal that he is dating another girl (who he took on a trip to pickup her Taycan). Perhaps your observation is right on?

yea it s hard to walk around issue of political or just transactional nature but in the end any smart company will do what is needed to deliver a good product that has atleast one or more very attractive features... for example imho i have never thought there was a better auto manufacturer thand audi - in terms of design, fit finish, etc... but i never would consider an audi ev ownership simply bc tesla has the best hardware and software and battery... if it was ice car i would say audi is the best car for me... (as long as we don t get into the reliability aspect of it - lol)

exciting news coming out of vinfast... new shipment coming in may23... tax credit up to 7.5k available now...

talked to the vf rep and she said my reservation is coming up soon to be available w the 3k discount pirce... vacation package w vinpearl... tech package... etc...

i m still debating getting a model y or an vf8...

but here s a new vid that just came out w some cool info... lease 275/mth starting?... wow...

Reactions: Cheburashka
Its rated a 80 MPGe by the EPA. Slightly lower than a Mach-E GT Performance. At that price point with only 180 miles of range...I don't see how it can compete. The model Y performance is rated at 111 MPGe and the LR 120. With recent price cuts those cars are about the same money.

Its rated a 80 MPGe by the EPA. Slightly lower than a Mach-E GT Performance. At that price point with only 180 miles of range...I don't see how it can compete. The model Y performance is rated at 111 MPGe and the LR 120. With recent price cuts those cars are about the same money.
the 1st shipment is rated as lower... the new batch coming in may23 will be rerated... as pricing goes there s no arguing tesla is king...

Reactions: 240vPlug

Sounds like a winner...

Sounds like a winner...
u should get 1...

we can judge the car with time... they test drove the city edition... or the 1st shipment car... 2nd shipment is probably not much better but they should let us know about the car from 2nd shipment in their next review... nothing new...

Electrek shows a picture that seems to be a 360-degree bird's eye view:

VinFast-VF-8-cameras.jpg

Reactions: oldsport
here s the 1st shipment review by electrek may12...

electrek says they will do review on 2nd shipment of v8...
That's the first one I've read that is mildly positive. The rest I've seen today so far are scathing.

here s the 1st shipment review by electrek may12...

electrek says they will do review on 2nd shipment of v8...
The Electrek review is a bit puzzling to me since the reviewer apparently have never driven a Model 3 or Y (he says it’s the first time he’s ever driven a car without an instrument cluster). I’m a bit skeptical of anyone reviewing an EV but have never driven a Tesla in the same category simply because Tesla is a well established benchmark and a good reference point.

Reactions: tm1v2