Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia call to ACTION - VA DMV denies Tesla dealer license!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@4SUPER9: Sorry - no additional details. We were told this summer at the "Drive Change In Virginia" event that one of Tesla"s options was to sue the VA DMV. But that was probably the last option,a nd fortunately Tesla did not have to go there.

The language above suggests that litigation was a distinct possibility, and there was a settlement, either before or after a suit was filed. So, it seems that, at the very least, there was a threat. If it became more than that, and a suit was filed, then there should be a public record.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm late to the party. Is this old news?

Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) To Open Dealership In Virginia

I guess I was correct. Here is the key text:
Tesla applied for an exemption to Virginia’s law...although Virginia DMV commissioner Richard Holcomb rejected the company’s bid. After that, the automaker sued. Last month after negotiations with the state and the Virginia Automobile Dealers Association, Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) agreed to withdraw its lawsuit. In exchange, it will be allowed to apply for just one license to sell vehicles in the northern part of Virginia.

brianman: I spoke with Tesla sales rep, and she said some of the requirements they have to meet relate to certifications by the sales force, the fact they have to have 10 parking spaces for the dealership, etc etc. These are all administrative requirements they have to meet based upon arcane rules setup by the Virginia Auto Dealers Association and embodied in Virginia law over the years. None of the requirements are difficult, but they all have to be met before Virginia issues Tesla a sales license.

It may be too early to call this a pure win. I'm curious what this (underlined) means:

In Maine, new car dealers are exoected to meet certain requirements including minimum space requirements (total including annexes), custimer access to an office used specifically for the dealership, and so on. There's also a fee paid to an arbitration board for disputes between manufacturer and franchisee, but I think they might waive it in Tesla's case. ;)

It makes sense that Tesla has to conform to the same rules as everyone else - assuming the full set of rules are reasonable. Most of the rules truly are for the protection of consumers against the fly-by-night un-reputable used car dealer. It was interesting sitting through a Motor Vehicle Board meeting as they were going over rules violations and sanctions against various dealers and salespersons... some truly shady things going on.

Anyways, I think Tesla has to actually choose a site or sites (presumably isn't the Tyson's Galleria) for which to develop into a showroom and service center. Then they'd have to apply. In any case, we still need legislative action so that Tesla doesn't need to reapply each year and for each location of this exemption.

So here's to another RIR event! Thanks to the linkster's for letting me ride in their Model S last time, but this time hopefully I can be there and drive!