Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks scaesare. did you happen to keep your visibletesla.log from last night? There is a bunch of debug output in there right now relating to when it is probing the car while the app is in sleep mode.

I've not closed VT... it shows sleeping as of shortly after midnight according to the title bar.

I see the log file(s) in my profile area. If you let me know what file(s) you need, i can close out VT so it closes the log and get it to you.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Just a quick question; do you think the 12V battery suffers when VisibleTesla (or phone App for that matter) is running? Could it also be a reason for the 12V problems that some people are experiencing? Anyone know how much or which battery it uses for these features?

Well last night VT correctly queried my car to see if it was unplugged, as well as reported my charge start/stop times and SOC state threshold.

Not sure why it didn't the previous night. I changed no settings on it from the day before.

(Oh and Joe, I responded to your PM)

The feature I wish they would eventually implement (probably not something that visible tesla can accomplish ) is the ability to stretch charging out over a longer period of time and reduce the amperage to provide a smooth charge between the time that the plug-in and the time that you need your car.

for example, it would be great if when I pull into my garage my car says "when do you need to use your car next?" And then I would and put in a time and it would automatically calibrate the start/stop time and/or amperage to provide full charging right up to the specified departure time.

The feature I wish they would eventually implement (probably not something that visible tesla can accomplish ) is the ability to stretch charging out over a longer period of time and reduce the amperage to provide a smooth charge between the time that the plug-in and the time that you need your car.

for example, it would be great if when I pull into my garage my car says "when do you need to use your car next?" And then I would and put in a time and it would automatically calibrate the start/stop time and/or amperage to provide full charging right up to the specified departure time.

This isn't visible tesla part so OT, but it's relatively easy to estimate. I charge at 3x13A 230V and it's about 10% per hour. So I just count the percentage lines and i know how many hours it takes. I then set the scheduled charging that many hoirs before I need to go and it's always been accurate to within 15 min. If I'd want the same for lower amp charging I'd just do it in halving or removing a third to increase the charge time x2 or x1.5. That should be relativelye asy math to do when you settle the car.

This isn't visible tesla part so OT, but it's relatively easy to estimate. I charge at 3x13A 230V and it's about 10% per hour. So I just count the percentage lines and i know how many hours it takes. I then set the scheduled charging that many hoirs before I need to go and it's always been accurate to within 15 min. If I'd want the same for lower amp charging I'd just do it in halving or removing a third to increase the charge time x2 or x1.5. That should be relativelye asy math to do when you settle the car.
Currently this is more complicated than desired because it requires a manual step of setting the max amperage. Making a "set max amperage for this charging location" a REST command would open up some very interesting possibilities. And yes, I requested such a feature from ownership several months ago.

This is pretty much the current behavior as of 0.25.01. Please check out post #564 where it talks about "A fairly significant change has been made to the way VisibleTesla handles sleep mode" and post #585 where it shows a concrete example of the algorithm in practice. Whenever people indicate a strong interest in telemetry I always like to mention teslams described in this thread. It's a more sophisticated way to capture data on an ongoing basis.

Allowing the selection of date range on export is on my list. Are you interested in arbitrary starting/ending dates or something more like the preference for graph tab import: Last 7 days, Last 14 days, Last 30 days, last week, last month, all?

Can you say more about the second request? When you say empty "lines" do you mean a row in the exported Excel file that has any empty value in a column? If you would provide 5 to 10 sample rows that contain rows that should not be removed and rows that should be removed, that will help me understand your request.

I'm not 100% sure if the behavior is the way I mean it. Let's assume I set the idle threshold at 15 minutes and about 15 minutes after I stopped using VT I take the car for a drive. Will VT continue to monitor and poll the car at high rate as the odometer is increasing or will it consider that maybe I'll let the car sleep and therefore ignore for 30 minutes the car driving? That was my main point that I'd like the app to understand that the car has moved since last check and therefore it's not likely it'll go to sleep soon so poll it at high rate to get good graph data. Once the car sits idle for a while (say 10 minutes with no change in odometer and car off) it'll allow sleeping, but check every few minutes if the car is really sleeping. The moment it detects the car isn't sleeping anymore it'll start to record data again.

With regard to exporting I'd like a customized start and end dates as I might want only last 1-3 days or what not. But you might have buttons for default ranges that just set the dates then in the start and end fields and still allow customization.

With regard to the empty lines here's an example:

13879678720-57,8284,670940225612.25.13 12:37:52
13879678940-50,4284,28093012.25.13 12:38:14
13879679040-57,1283,890930225612.25.13 12:38:24
13879679240-56,7283,5093012.25.13 12:38:44
13879679370-50,9283,110930205612.25.13 12:38:57
13879679560-73,2282,72093012.25.13 12:39:16
13879679690-51,8282,340930215612.25.13 12:39:29
13879679850-32,8281,95093012.25.13 12:39:45
13879680040-30281,560930115612.25.13 12:40:04
13879680150-52,8281,56093012.25.13 12:40:15

So the S_PWR and S_SPD fields are empty while others have readout values. If the cars speed is 0, then it's 0 and not an empty field and those lines are ok, but the ones with empty lines are odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently this is more complicated than desired because it requires a manual step of setting the max amperage. Making a "set max amperage for this charging location" a REST command would open up some very interesting possibilities. And yes, I requested such a feature from ownership several months ago.

Well I meant that this should be set in the car as you end driving and plug it in. At that point you can adjust amperage etc. But yes if one wanted to incorporate this into VT's scheduled actions, then indeed this would need additions to the REST API.

Well I meant that this should be set in the car as you end driving and plug it in. At that point you can adjust amperage etc. But yes if one wanted to incorporate this into VT's scheduled actions, then indeed this would need additions to the REST API.
I meant this more generally (not just VT). I think it's silly that human intervention is required to set the amperage. Also, charging linearly (constant rate) is likely not ideal and a script/program could manage this easily.

I'm not 100% sure if the behavior is the way I mean it. Let's assume I set the idle threshold at 15 minutes and about 15 minutes after I stopped using VT I take the car for a drive. Will VT continue to monitor and poll the car at high rate as the odometer is increasing or will it consider that maybe I'll let the car sleep and therefore ignore for 30 minutes the car driving? That was my main point that I'd like the app to understand that the car has moved since last check and therefore it's not likely it'll go to sleep soon so poll it at high rate to get good graph data. Once the car sits idle for a while (say 10 minutes with no change in odometer and car off) it'll allow sleeping, but check every few minutes if the car is really sleeping. The moment it detects the car isn't sleeping anymore it'll start to record data again.

I'm continuing to tweak how this works, but the basic idea is that while the app is in "Allow Sleeping" mode:

• If the car is in motion, queries will happen at the same rate as if the app were Awake (2 times per minute)
  • If the car is charging, queries will happen at the same default rate as if the app were Awake (once every two minutes)
  • If the car is awake, but is motionless and not charging, it will not be queried for 30 minutes. HOWEVER, the app will test whether the car is still asleep every 5 minutes.
It will never be fool-proof because I don't want to be hammering Tesla's servers by constantly polling and I do want to let the car go to sleep. I'll be testing my latest tweaks over the next couple of days and then releasing an updated version.

With regard to exporting I'd like a customized start and end dates as I might want only last 1-3 days or what not. But you might have buttons for default ranges that just set the dates then in the start and end fields and still allow customization.

OK, this is on the list of enhancement requests on github.

With regard to the empty lines here's an example:

13879678720-57,8284,670940225612.25.13 12:37:52
13879678940-50,4284,280930

12.25.13 12:38:14
13879679040-57,1283,890930225612.25.13 12:38:24
13879679240-56,7283,50930

12.25.13 12:38:44
13879679370-50,9283,110930205612.25.13 12:38:57
13879679560-73,2282,720930

12.25.13 12:39:16
13879679690-51,8282,340930215612.25.13 12:39:29
13879679850-32,8281,950930

12.25.13 12:39:45
13879680040-30281,560930115612.25.13 12:40:04
13879680150-52,8281,560930

12.25.13 12:40:15
So the S_PWR and S_SPD fields are empty while others have readout values. If the cars speed is 0, then it's 0 and not an empty field and those lines are ok, but the ones with empty lines are odd.

Thanks for the example. Not every piece of sample data that I get contains every field. When you see a blank field, it means I don't have data for that field at that point in time, it does not mean the value is zero (as you know). You could interpolate the values, duplicate the nearest neighbor, or ignore those samples completely. I won't unconditionally remove them because they contain valid data. I'll consider other options on export.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been playing around with the notification settings as well. A couple of days ago I got a notification at 10 PM that the MS was unplugged (which it was not.) When I looked on the overview tab (which is where I leave VT by default) the charge cable was not drawn. After I refreshed it, the cable appeared. I've noticed that on other occasions that it looks unplugged, and then updates correctly once refreshed. Something doesn't seem to work consistently in determining the plugged-in status.

I know it sounds vague, and next time I see it, I'll make sure to save the log. I may have the log from the time of the erroneous notification in Time Machine. I'll look when I get a chance.

To deal with the fact that I don't always get consistent readings from Tesla when I look at the Pilot Current, I'm querying it multiple times. I used to do this in rapid succession but am now doing the following: Query. If plugged in, done. If not, wait 20 seconds then query again. If it still looks unplugged, send a notification.

Hi guys. Just a quick question; do you think the 12V battery suffers when VisibleTesla (or phone App for that matter) is running? Could it also be a reason for the 12V problems that some people are experiencing? Anyone know how much or which battery it uses for these features?

The 12V battery problems surfaced on the forums before VisibleTesla existed so I don't think it's cause and effect. Having said that, I have no data to share on the impact of VT on the 12V battery. It would be interesting if someone wanted to do a study of this, but I don't know anyone who has. Perhaps someone using teslams has some insight on this.

Well last night VT correctly queried my car to see if it was unplugged, as well as reported my charge start/stop times and SOC state threshold.

Not sure why it didn't the previous night. I changed no settings on it from the day before.

(Oh and Joe, I responded to your PM)
As to the plugged/unplugged - that's hit and miss as described above. Hopefully the tweaks described above will make it a little more reliable. Not sure what's going on with start/stop and SOC. I'm getting those regularly, but I am on a slightly newer version of the code than what is released.

Hi dcopperfield, in the case of VisibleTesla, "they" is me. As you surmised, this is not something that I can control through the API.

Anyone want to write some FAQ content?

Hello Folks,

I'm updating the format of the documentation (and the content too) and I'm adding an FAQ. I'll start with a few common questions and answers, but I'd love some help filling this in. For example, I've already got two questions in there for which I haven't written the answers yet:

• Windows: How can I get an icon on my desktop that will let me launch VisibleTesla?
  • Mac: How can I get an icon in my dock that will let me launch VisibleTesla?
Anyone want to take a stab at writing those up?

If you have any other tips/tricks/techniques/troubleshooting ideas or other content that you think should go in the FAQ, please send it my way.

Thanks and have a Happy New Year!!

Joe

Hello Folks,

I'm updating the format of the documentation (and the content too) and I'm adding an FAQ. I'll start with a few common questions and answers, but I'd love some help filling this in. For example, I've already got two questions in there for which I haven't written the answers yet:

• Windows: How can I get an icon on my desktop that will let me launch VisibleTesla?

If you have any other tips/tricks/techniques/troubleshooting ideas or other content that you think should go in the FAQ, please send it my way.

Joe

Seems the least we can do:

For Windows 7 or 8:

1. Install VisibleTesla as per the instructions included in the downloaded package. Make a note of the directory location where you extracted the VisibleTesla files on your computer (for example: "C:\Program Files\VisibleTesla")
  2. Navigate to the directory identified in step 1 above.
  3. Locate the file "VisibleTesla.jar". Right-click it and select "Send to... / Desktop (create shortcut)".
  4. Right-click the desktop shortcut you just created in step #3 and choose "Properties"
  5. Click the "Change Icon" button. In the resulting dialog box, click "Browse".
  6. Navigate to the directory identified in step #1 and choose the "FobIcon.ico" file, and then click "Open".
  7. In the resulting dialog box, choose the (only) Telsa Keyfob shaped Icon and click "OK"
  8. Click "OK" again to close the Properties window
  9. You should now have a "Model S Fob" icon on your desktop that may be used to launch VisibleTesla.

Last edited:
Hello Folks,

Joe

Has anyone done the MAC FAQ yet? If not, let me know and I will do it.