Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure I understand the sarcasm. What should I call it? OSX? Are you referring to capital letters versus lowercase? People generally understand the reference to either Windows or Mac (as did the OP)

Agreed, people understand it in the correct context. In an FAQ it should be written correctly as "Mac" - short for Macintosh as opposed to "MAC" - short for media access control. No sarcasm implied. Not sure who you're referring to as the OP. Joe wrote it correctly.

Preview of things to come...

I was hoping to get out a new release today, but I've been otherwise occupied and converting the documentation format took me (is taking me) longer than expected.

I wanted to give you a sneak peek at a couple of things:
  • Here's the new style documentation. Each tab and other major topic has it's own page and there is the start of the FAQ.
  • Here's a sample of the new output of the Trips tab. You'll notice that it now includes a graph at the bottom with elevation data, speed, and power usage corresponding to each map marker. If you select a marker on the map, it will highlight the corresponding items in the graph and vice versa. Check the documentation for more details.
  • The trip can now export a file to Google Earth (a ".kmz" file). When you load that file you can see an elevation profile of your trip and do a pretty cool virtual tour. Here's a sample. Again, check the documentation for more details.

As soon as I can get some more testing of sleep mode done, I'll package up the release and get it out. You can see some of the other things that have changed in the preview of the release notes.

- - - Updated - - -

No problem. As the year draws to a close, please accept my (our?) thanks for the work you've put in to the app, and your willingness to share and accept feedback...

+10!

Hurrah for jpasqua!

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Slight simplification to the Windows Icon instructions:

When you right click on the VisibleTesla.jar, select "Send to... / Desktop (create shortcut)".

Saves a step or two.

Excellent. Thanks.

Agreed, people understand it in the correct context. In an FAQ it should be written correctly as "Mac" - short for Macintosh as opposed to "MAC" - short for media access control. No sarcasm implied. Not sure who you're referring to as the OP. Joe wrote it correctly.

Im not writing the manual for a Space Shuttle. Sorry for the lowercase omission but talk about picky. I guarantee that nobody who read my post thought I was referring to Media Access Control. In any case I will make sure I use the proper case in the FAQ to make you happy :)

Last edited:
Hello Folks,

I'm updating the format of the documentation (and the content too) and I'm adding an FAQ. I'll start with a few common questions and answers, but I'd love some help filling this in. For example, I've already got two questions in there for which I haven't written the answers yet:

• Windows: How can I get an icon on my desktop that will let me launch VisibleTesla?
  • Mac: How can I get an icon in my dock that will let me launch VisibleTesla?
Anyone want to take a stab at writing those up?

If you have any other tips/tricks/techniques/troubleshooting ideas or other content that you think should go in the FAQ, please send it my way.

Thanks and have a Happy New Year!!

Joe

Steps for placing VisibleTesla on the Dock in recent versions of O SX (See also attached PDF for these examples with screenshots of every step)

1. Download VisibleTesla by clicking on a download link or automatically, with the “Check for Updates” feature in the Application (Typically a folder called VisibleTesla 0.XX.XX) will be placed in your Downloads folder).

2. [Optional] Copy or move that complete folder to a location of your choice (typically you might place it in the Applications folder with all your other applications) and remember where you placed it.

3. Open “Finder” and navigate to the folder that contains the VisibleTesla 0.XX.XX sub-folder). Double click on the folder to open it and view its contents.

STEPS 4 to 11 are Optional and only necessary if you want to replace the default Java icon associated with VisibleTesla with an image of the Model S FOB. If not, skip to step 12.

4. Right Click on the VisibleTesla.jar file to open the context menu and click on “Get Info”.

5. A window called VisibleTesla.jar Info will open with the name of the file in bold at the top and a JAR icon to the left of this (with a coffee cup in the image). Keep this window open.

6. Go back to “Finder” and double click on the Fobicon.png file the VisibleTesla 0.XX.XX sub-folder to open the FOB image in the “Preview” application.

7. Copy the contents of the image in the “Preview” application by pressing “Command + C”

8. Go back to the VisibleTesla.jar Info window from Step 5 and single click on the little coffee cup image. The outside of the coffee cup image will be highlighted with a blue outline.

9. Paste the FOB picture currently in the the clipboard by pressing “Command + V”

10. The Model S FOB picture will replace the coffee cup picture (top left). Close the VisibleTesla.Jar Info window.

11. Go back to “Finder” to view the VisibleTesla 0.XX.XX sub-folder again. The VisibleTesla.jar file should now have the Model S Fob image associated to it.

12. Drag the VisibleTesla.jar file to either your desktop or to the Program Dock at the bottom. Note that you can only place such a file on the right side of the Dock (user items).

NOTE: If when clicking on your VisibleTesla dock icon you get an error message that you cannot open the file because it is from an unidentified developer you will need to right click the VisibleTesla.jar file in its original folder and select “Open With” and choose ”Jar Launcher” [You only need to do this the first time. Subsequent attempts to open using the icon in the Doc should open the application without issue]

View attachment Instructions for placing VisibleTesla on the Dock in OSX (with Screenshots).pdf

Slight simplification to the Windows Icon instructions:

When you right click on the VisibleTesla.jar, select "Send to... / Desktop (create shortcut)".

Saves a step or two.

Good clarification, thanks.

Joe, I've updated my original post so you can just grab all the steps from there at your convenience in the future should there be additional edits..

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping to get out a new release today, but I've been otherwise occupied and converting the documentation format took me (is taking me) longer than expected.

I wanted to give you a sneak peek at a couple of things:
  • Here's the new style documentation. Each tab and other major topic has it's own page and there is the start of the FAQ.
  • Here's a sample of the new output of the Trips tab. You'll notice that it now includes a graph at the bottom with elevation data, speed, and power usage corresponding to each map marker. If you select a marker on the map, it will highlight the corresponding items in the graph and vice versa. Check the documentation for more details.
  • The trip can now export a file to Google Earth (a ".kmz" file). When you load that file you can see an elevation profile of your trip and do a pretty cool virtual tour. Here's a sample. Again, check the documentation for more details.

As soon as I can get some more testing of sleep mode done, I'll package up the release and get it out. You can see some of the other things that have changed in the preview of the release notes.

Very cool stuff... thanks again Joe.

Steps for placing VisibleTesla on the Dock in recent versions of O SX (See also attached PDF for these examples with screenshots of every step)

1.Download VisibleTesla by clicking on a download link or automatically, with the “Check for Updates” feature in the Application (Typically a folder called VisibleTesla 0.XX.XX) will be placed in your Downloads folder).

NOTE: If when clicking on your VisibleTesla dock icon you get an error message that you cannot open the file because it is from an unidentified developer you will need to right click the VisibleTesla.jar file in its original folder and select “Open With” and choose ”Jar Launcher” [You only need to do this the first time. Subsequent attempts to open using the icon in the Doc should open the application without issue]

View attachment 39585

Great write-up. Thanks!

A couple of suggestions:

In paragraph 1 you could add that if a .zip file is downloaded but not folder appears to just double-click on the .zip file to uncompress it.

In the NOTE paragraph, it is not necessary and possibly more confusing to use the "Open With ..." option. Simply selecting the "Open" option will present the dialog to dismiss the unidentified developer warning. (This needs to be done only once for every new download.)

Not sure if this is a bug or designed behavior: If the car is sleeping when you launch VT, and you opt to not wake it up, the app terminates.

It would be useful for VT to go in to "slow poll" mode as it does when the car falls asleep after VT has been running, so that way you can launch it while you have the car parked, in anticipation of it being available to track trips later, fire off scheduled events, etc...

Not sure if this is a bug or designed behavior: If the car is sleeping when you launch VT, and you opt to not wake it up, the app terminates.

It would be useful for VT to go in to "slow poll" mode as it does when the car falls asleep after VT has been running, so that way you can launch it while you have the car parked, in anticipation of it being available to track trips later, fire off scheduled events, etc...

It was the designed behavior because there wasn't to be a slow poll mode at the time I added this (which was before my car's firmware had sleep mode).

I do want to move to the behavior you describe, but I need to restructure things in the app to make it possible. The way it is written now, a certain collection of activities are performed when the app launches and those activities require communicating with the car. Elsewhere in the app it is assumed that those initialization actions have been performed at startup. I will need to reorganize things to do those initialization steps lazily (on demand).

I've added an enhancement request on github to track this request. Thanks for mentioning it.

New Years Release - 0.25.02

Version 0.25.02 is available here. This version is no longer marked experimental, but there are significant changes and additions to the Trips tab and the way sleep mode works. Please consult the documentation for details and let me know of any difficulties you may encounter. Also, please check the "Known problems" section below to see a known limitation in the newly introduced graph functionality in the Trips tab.

As you will see, the documentation format has changed and the content has been updated (though there is plenty more to be done). There is now an FAQ as part of the documentation and several forum members have already contributed to it (thanks again!). I haven't incorporated all of the contributions yet, but I will do so soon and the online version of the documentation will be updated between releases.

You'll also see that you can now export a trip to Google Earth (via a .kmz file). I provide a description of two pretty cool things you can do with this, but I am a Google Earth neophyte and export that other forum members may have tips to offer. I will include those tips in the documentation as appropriate.

VisibleTesla 0.25.02 [01-01-14]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Continued tweaks to "Allow Sleeping" mode. It is now a little better at capturing trips while the app is in this mode. It's still possible to miss all or part of a trip while in this mode, but if the app detects that the car is awake while it is in "Allow Sleeping" mode and that the car is in motion, it will poll more frequently until motion stops.
      • Revamped the format of the documentation and updated a few sections. Added an FAQ.
      • Fixed one or two places where unit conversion wasn't happening. There are more to come.
    • Login
    • Overview
    • HVAC
    • Graphs
    • Trips
      • Added an "Export It" button right next to the "Map It" button. Pressing this button will create a .kmz file which is input to Google Earth. Among other things, this will allow you to visualize your elevation profile over the course of the selected trip and let you watch your motion through the trip.
        Usage Notes:
        • When entering a name for the output file, be sure to use a ".kmz" extension (e.g. MyTrip.kmz).
        • Double-click your .kmz file to open Google Earth, or use the File->Open menu in Google Earth to select and open the .kmz file you just exported.
        • What follows is not meant to be a guide to Google Earth. Please refer to Google's documentation. The following simply provides a couple of interesting things you can do with this data.
        • When Google Earth opens, you'll see a "Places" panel on the left hand side. Inside that panel you'll see a folder named "Temporary Places" and inside that you'll see the name of the file you just created (e.g. MyTrip.kmz).
        • Click the triangle next to your trip and you'll see two items. The first will be labeled "Tesla Path on [date @ time]
        • Left-click that item and select "Show Elevation Profile." As the name implies, it will show you the elevations along your path. These elevations are not from the car's GPS. It is Google's elevation data for the specified vehicle locations.
        • In the bottom right of the places pane you'll see an icon that is similar to the one next to your selected item (it is 3 dots connected by lines). If you press this button you'll be taken on a virtual tour through your data.
      • Added an "Include graph in Map?" checkbox. If you check this box then the resulting page will include not only the map, but a graph of some basic values for each point along the route. The data currently provided is Elevation (in meters), Speed, and Power. Note the elevations displayed are not from the car's GPS. It is Google's elevation data for the specified vehicle locations. Google allows a limited number of elevation queries per day from a given user (2500 requests, 25,000 total elevations). This should be enough for normal usage.
        Usage Notes:
        • If you select a legend item (such as "Speed") it will toggle that series on or off in the chart. When it is off, the legend item will appear greyed out.
        • If you select a point on one of the lines in the graph, the corresponding car marker in the map will highlight (it will get bigger and turn yellow).
        • If you select a car marker in the map, it will select the corresponding data points in the chart.
    • Scheduler
    • Notify
      • The subject of the email notification now contains up to 80 characters of the body of the message. That allows users to get the point of the message just by seeing the subject.
      • Made the "Speed Hits" notification use the appropriate units (mph or km/h) for the car.
    • Prefs
  • Under-the-covers
    • Added code to query Google for elevation data
  • Known problems
    • If you map multiple trips and include a graph in the output, selections will only work properly for the first selected trip.
    • There are a number of places where unit conversions are not being done, including:
      • Speeds are always in mph in the info boxes associated with map markers
      • Speed triggers in the Notify Tab

Wonderfull stuff!! I just used the KML export from a trip I did on Jan 1st. This Earth demo is one of the nicest things to demo :)

What I noticed however, is that I seem to be swaying all over the motorway :) Is it fair to assume this is due to having a 5 second polling interval? I have put the file here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7110998/mechelen.kmz

The other MAJOR improvement is the VT is now able to correctly estimate my route. We have a problem here, when we cross the border, it takes the 3G connection 5-10 minutes before it picks up. However, VT now shows an uninterrupted route.

Seems the least we can do:

• Windows: How can I get an icon on my desktop that will let me launch VisibleTesla?

For Windows 7 or 8:

1. Install VisibleTesla as per the instructions included in the downloaded package. Make a note of the directory location where you extracted the VisibleTesla files on your computer (for example: "C:\Program Files\VisibleTesla")
  2. Navigate to the directory identified in step 1 above.
  3. Locate the file "VisibleTesla.jar". Right-click it and select "Send to... / Desktop (create shortcut)".
  4. Right-click the desktop shortcut you just created in step #3 and choose "Properties"
    [*]Click the "Change Icon" button. In the resulting dialog box, click "Browse".
    [*]Navigate to the directory identified in step #1 and choose the "FobIcon.ico" file, and then click "Open".
    [*]In the resulting dialog box, choose the (only) Telsa Keyfob shaped Icon and click "OK"
  5. Click "OK" again to close the Properties window
  6. You should now have a "Model S Fob" icon on your desktop that may be used to launch VisibleTesla.
Using Windows 8.1 I don't see the option in properties to change the icon.

- - - Updated - - -

nevermind. Instead of creating a shortcut I had just dragged the JAR file to the desktop. If you do that 1)You get an exception error and the program won't run, and 2)There's no option to change the icon.
When I followed the right-click/create shortcut option the above instructions work great.

I had the 25.01 version running with allow sleep and it seems it has only gathered one datapoint yesterday and today when I downloaded 25.02 and started and it gathered the next data point (I forced it to wake up the car) it seems the car has charged back its vampire losses as it's back at 90% and respective range. The two dots in graph do show the slope change for range too so it did charge, but VT didn't find it. I'm guessing it was a 4-5% charge so that takes 20-30 minutes, but I'm still surprised how VT missed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it seems that after 25.02 all of my trips are gone. I extract every VT into their own new folder and use them there and I had assumed the trips are kept in the central folder where the application also keeps the graph data. But it seems 25.02 doesn't find the trips. There don't seem to be any dates with trips on them.

- - - Updated - - -

nevermind. Instead of creating a shortcut I had just dragged the JAR file to the desktop. If you do that 1)You get an exception error and the program won't run, and 2)There's no option to change the icon.
When I followed the right-click/create shortcut option the above instructions work great.

Yeah, there's some weirdness in where you are allowed to run a .jar file from. Glad it worked for you...