Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I try using this at home, it works fine. But when I try to connect from via proxy, I get this exception:

Jul 31, 2014 5:25:51 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.Tesla login
SEVERE: null
java.io.IOException: Stream closed

When this occurs, I get a dialog mentioning that my login failed.

Trying to kick it off via java -jar VisibleTesla.jar on Ubuntu via OpenJRE v1.7.0_13 running Visible Tesla 28.01

Ideas?

Hi jak (sorry, I couldn't resist),

Can you tell me what your proxy settings are and if they work from chrome or Firefox? You can PM me or email me at joe at visible tesla dot com.

Joe

Wamochi, I retrofitted the parking sensors and folding mirrors. VisibleTesla shows these features as false. I asked Tesla if they could update the configuration file to reflect true, and also true for the parcel shelf (which I bought after getting the car). Tesla said the configuration file is set at the factory based on the VIN and can not be changed by the SC. So while the car knows that I have the folding mirrors and parking sensor, VisibleTesla (which I assume merely reads this configuration file) will not know of their retrofitted existence.

Problems waking up the car with VT and iPhone

In the past I've had reports of people ho were unable to wake up their cars with VisibleTesla or the official iPhone/Android app. Well now I've experienced it myself. Here's the situation.

I was rear-ended a little over a week ago and I brought my car into the body shop shortly thereafter. I've been out of town and didn't notice that VisibleTesla wasn't running on my home server. The server crashed and when it came back up I didn't restart VT. This meant that for a couple of days, the car wasn't woken up by VT or by me driving it. It seems to have gone into a very deep sleep and neither VT nor the iPhone app can wake it up.

I suspect that when the folks at the body shop get in it, it will wake up even if they don't drive it. We'll see. I can't find anything that I can do via the API that will wake the car from this deep sleep. I'm also not sure what conditions cause it to enter this state. If I learn anything more, I'll let you know.

In the past I've had reports of people ho were unable to wake up their cars with VisibleTesla or the official iPhone/Android app. Well now I've experienced it myself. Here's the situation.

I was rear-ended a little over a week ago and I brought my car into the body shop shortly thereafter. I've been out of town and didn't notice that VisibleTesla wasn't running on my home server. The server crashed and when it came back up I didn't restart VT. This meant that for a couple of days, the car wasn't woken up by VT or by me driving it. It seems to have gone into a very deep sleep and neither VT nor the iPhone app can wake it up.

I suspect that when the folks at the body shop get in it, it will wake up even if they don't drive it. We'll see. I can't find anything that I can do via the API that will wake the car from this deep sleep. I'm also not sure what conditions cause it to enter this state. If I learn anything more, I'll let you know.

OUCH! I think 5.12 introduced a deeper level of sleep so to speak. The current workaround is disabling of Energy Saving mode ...

I have 5.12 on my car. I tried to connect to the car with the iPhone app and was unable to do so. I then tried to connect with VisibleTesla and it connected, while the iPhone app continued to fail to connect. Only after VisibleTesla was connected to my car for about 30seconds did the iPhone app connect to the car.

Sorry to hear about your car. Hope it gets fixed quickly and will be as good as new.

A quick note in this thread that might help out somebody else experiencing issues with VT not wanting to launch (specifically on Windows 7).

I've been out of the country for a bit, and my computer rebooted while I was away, and thus VT wasn't running. When I tried to launch it upon returning home, no deal. Spinning mouse pointer for a bit, and then nothing. I _THINK_ that it was a Java update that might have caused the change. By that time there was ANOTHER Java update available, so I installed that hoping to resolve the issue, but no dice. Updating VT to the latest version also did not fix the problem.

Doing some trouble shooting, the JRE process was spawning, and then terminating within a couple of seconds. I launched VT with verbose Java error reporting enabled, and got a series of errors related to parsing some manifests.

I tried clearing the Java app cache, and that didn't do it. I ended up doing an uninstall of all cached applications, and that fixed. Note that this doesn't uninstall VT, it just forces Java to reload everything app related afresh. That did the trick.

For windows, you do this by navigating to your JRE program directory, and executing:
Code:
javaws.exe -uninstall

That will spin for a bit and then return to the prompt. Subsequently launching VT will take a little longer as it reloads the local cache, but it then worked fine for me.

Hope this helps...

Hi invisik,

Backing up those files is a good idea.

It's hard to find in the docs, but there's a button buried in the advanced preferences that will take you to the location of your data files. Here's the description from the Prefs Tab doc:

Show App Files
VisibleTesla stores its data files in a location appropriate to the platform. This location differs between Mac, Linux, and Windows. In normal operation you should never need to know or care where these files are. The only time you might care is if you encounter a problem. In that case, the files stored in this folder may help in finding the problem. Pressing the Show App Files button will take you to these files.

Joe

A quick note in this thread that might help out somebody else experiencing issues with VT not wanting to launch (specifically on Windows 7).

Hi scaesare,

Sorry you had to go through that. Can I ask which version of VT are you using? The last two releases (0.28.00 and 0.28.01) both include a bundled Java VM and should not be impacted by any updates to other JVM's loaded or updated on your system. This bundled JVM is used automatically if you use the script to put an icon on your desktop OR if you manually use the vtrunner script. If you're double-clicking VisibleTesla.zip, it will use whatever JVM is installed on your system.

Joe

Hi invisik,

Backing up those files is a good idea.

It's hard to find in the docs, but there's a button buried in the advanced preferences that will take you to the location of your data files. Here's the description from the Prefs Tab doc:

Show App Files
VisibleTesla stores its data files in a location appropriate to the platform. This location differs between Mac, Linux, and Windows. In normal operation you should never need to know or care where these files are. The only time you might care is if you encounter a problem. In that case, the files stored in this folder may help in finding the problem. Pressing the Show App Files button will take you to these files.

Joe

Thanks! I found the button. My data files were in My Documents\VisibleTesla.

-m

Hi scaesare,

Sorry you had to go through that. Can I ask which version of VT are you using? The last two releases (0.28.00 and 0.28.01) both include a bundled Java VM and should not be impacted by any updates to other JVM's loaded or updated on your system. This bundled JVM is used automatically if you use the script to put an icon on your desktop OR if you manually use the vtrunner script. If you're double-clicking VisibleTesla.zip, it will use whatever JVM is installed on your system.

Joe

No worries... it just gives me one additional reason to dislike Java. :) It was a good exercise anyway...

I was running v0.27.mumble... I upgraded to 0.28.1 as part of that troubleshooting, but I'm not using the bundled JVM.

Joe, sorry to hear about your collision. Hope you get the car back soon, good as new.

I have another feature suggestion, although I can understand if it would be tough to implement. I've been charging on 120V on vacation, and the circuit is flaky. Sometimes it stops altogether, which VT tells me about (and was a big help last night!), but I don't get a notification if charge speed is reduced. It would be great if VT had an option to notify when pilot current changes. The "charge state becomes: anything" doesn't seem to trigger because the state remains at "charging."

I suppose there could be a threshold (say >20% different from initial current) to reduce false positives.

Thoughts?

Maybe the 25% reduction in charge current, from 40A to 30A in my case. Every month or so a power fluctuation changes my home UMC default to 30A even though the circuit is fine. If I don't pay attention to that (since I just plug in and walk away) I might get caught with a low charge overnight - happened to me once when it didn't matter.

Yes, good point, a significant change in pilot current OR charge current should generate a notification. I can't think of any other anomalies offhand that aren't already covered by the "charge state becomes..." notification.

By the way, my email notifications have been giving me inaccurate charge current, although kW, pilot current, voltage and mph are correct. For example my latest email from VT says I'm charging at 2.4A, 110V, 3.1mph. The Tesla app says 11A, which is what I set my car to use for my current location. Both the Tesla app and VT say 1kW, and pilot current for both is 12A. I'm running VT 0.28.01, I believe. (Away from home so can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure.)

Last edited:
Hi.

I am not sure if this has been addressed, but I noticed when on a SuperCharger there is a minus sign in front of the KW, this sign is not there when using my normal charger at home:

sc.JPG
And from the graph:
graf.JPG

Last edited:
My car's still in the shop and I don't have regular connectivity to it, so I'm still not able to do much debugging, development, or testing these days. In theory I'll have it back in another week. I've got my fingers crossed. Driving the rental ICE vehicle is decidedly unpleasant.

While I'm waiting, I have a couple of questions:
  • paulkva: What version of VT are you using? There was a problem with charge current reports in earlier releases, but I haven't seen it lately.
  • kiefer: The power shown in the graph is the power from/to the battery. From the battery is positive and to the battery is negative. When the battery is receiving power (charging or regen during driving), the graph will go negative. I'm not sure why it's showing a negative number in the Charge Tab. Is anyone else experience this? I won't be at a supercharger for at least a couple of weeks, so I can't try it out.
  • paulkva and klaus: Are you suggesting that VT should remember the normal charge current between charge cycles (presumably on a location by location basis) and report deviations from that, or are you saying that within a given charging cycle if the current drops by more than 25%, report that?
  • Just a heads-up that I'm considering eliminating daydreaming mode for the sake of simplicity. There would just be "Stay Awake" mode and "Allow Sleeping" mode. Daydreaming would happen automatically based on an internal heuristic.

Joe

Last edited:
  • paulkva: What version of VT are you using? There was a problem with charge current reports in earlier releases, but I haven't seen it lately.
  • paulkva and klaus: Are you suggesting that VT should remember the normal charge current between charge cycles (presumably on a location by location basis) and report deviations from that, or are you saying that within a given charging cycle if the current drops by more than 25%, report that?
I'm away for another week so can't check version remotely. I believe 0.28.01. I do know I checked for updates a week ago and there were none.
I was suggesting that VT track current changes within a charge cycle. So for example if you start at 12A and it drops to 9A, or start at 40A and it drops to 30A. Not relevant to supercharging, obviously, and you can already use "SOC exceeds X%" to alert on a nearly complete supercharge.

Joe, sorry about your car! I feel for you, hitting a deer on 280 was similarly disconcerting ...

I think just observing a drop in current from the initial during a charging session, or maybe a deviation from the pilot current should suffice.