Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reinstalled OpenJRE from the software library and it must have also installed a proper launcher this time sine I at least get to JavaFx launcher which informs me that In need a newer version of Java (ugh!). I think this message if from VisibleTesla itself which somehow doesn't recognize OpenJRE as valid.
I'm trying to run VisibleTesla 0.50.08

Getting the exact same thing on Linux Mint 17.2
Any progress?

Thanks very much. I think I'm making progress.
However, now get Exception "AWT-EventQue-0" java.awt.HeadlessException
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)
This usually means that it could not connect to X11, i.e. it tried to create the GUI but failed to do so.

Are you running X11? and are you running VisibleTesla as the same user that is running X11?

I'm running Xubuntu 14.04 LTS with java -version 1.7.0_79
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.6) 7u79-2.5.6-0ubuntu1.14.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-bit Server VM (build 24.79.-b02, mixed mode)

My advise would be to steer well clear of anything but the Oracle version of Java.
OpenJDK, IcedTea, etc. have been giving me nothing but troubles

"Trust me, I'm a professional" (Java Software Engineer)

- - - Updated - - -

First, Oracle really doesn't want you to use Java 7... they make it very hard to find and install.

Behold! The power of Google!:
Java SE Development Kit 7 - Downloads | Oracle Technology Network | Oracle

Mine doesn't show any trip data too.

There are a couple of subtleties to this tab.
  1. You need to click on a specific date (or range of dates) on the calendar and it will then show the trips for that date range. Until you pick some dates, nothing is shown.
  2. If you have recently (like within a few minutes) completed the trip, VT may not have identified the trip as completed. In that case, click on the end trip button to force trip completion of the most recent trip and add it to the list of completed trips.
I hope this helps.

There are a couple of subtleties to this tab.
  1. You need to click on a specific date (or range of dates) on the calendar and it will then show the trips for that date range. Until you pick some dates, nothing is shown.
  2. If you have recently (like within a few minutes) completed the trip, VT may not have identified the trip as completed. In that case, click on the end trip button to force trip completion of the most recent trip and add it to the list of completed trips.
I hope this helps.

While the trip tab is a bit confusing at first, I can confirm that, in my case at least, the data is actually not there. Any date that has a trip turns a green color, but on mine none of them show up as having any trips at all. I can manually click into individual dates or select the entire month of September, and it still shows 0 trips. The data is just not there.

I'm wondering if maybe something changed with the new models (mine is a brand-new 90D) that prevents the trip data from being downloaded.

You do have to keep VT running continuously to be able to collect trip data.

While the trip tab is a bit confusing at first, I can confirm that, in my case at least, the data is actually not there. Any date that has a trip turns a green color, but on mine none of them show up as having any trips at all. I can manually click into individual dates or select the entire month of September, and it still shows 0 trips. The data is just not there.

I'm wondering if maybe something changed with the new models (mine is a brand-new 90D) that prevents the trip data from being downloaded.

This hasn't happened to me much lately, but the following was happening every few days for a while a couple of months ago. At some point even though VT would still appear to be running, it would stop sending notifications, and stop collecting data, including trip data. If I quit the program and restarted it, everything would function fine for a day or two or three, and then the process would repeat. This still happens occasionally, but much more rarely, and it's not uncommon for me to go a few weeks straight without incident.

I don't know if this could be related to what you are seeing, but I'd suggest quitting and restarting, to see if at least temporarily you get trip data recorded.

Is this even possible? How does the iPhone app know of a pending update when it notifies the user?

Keep in mind that Tesla hasn't published their API. Everything that VT does was reverse engineering the API. The update avail notification either hasn't been reverse engineered, or if it has, hasn't been incorporated into VT yet...

Does Remote S also push this notification? If so, perhaps Allen would share the required API information with Joe.