Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks again for the follow-up Duma. After much research, I finally found a clue from someone with the same problem but with a completely different program. It had to do with a proxy setting buried deep in Firefox's options. All I had to do was change it from "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network" to "No proxy" and that did the trick. It now works perfectly. Thanks again for the help.

@lese Glad to hear that you solved your problem. Interesting to learn that Java was being affected by Firefox's proxy setting. Sure enough, there was a clue in the Java stack trace you posted that there was a proxy error, but I would never have suspected Firefox as the root cause.

Is there a specific version of Java that needs to be installed for Visual Tesla. On OSX El Capitian my Java Console is showing the latest Version 8 Update 66. Visual Tesla won't launch with this on my system.
Visible Resla requires v 7 of Java.
From the web site:
Dependencies: When using the generic package you must ensure that you Java 7 installed on your system. If you already have Java installed, you may be able to skip this step. However, VisibleTesla requires a recent version of Java (at least 1.7u25) so you may have to update your Java installation if it is old. You can download Java for Linux here. Note that there have been extensive changes to JavaFX in Java 8 and VisibleTesla will not work with it. At some point in the future the app will transition to Java 8 at which point it will no longer work with Java 7. For the time being, be sure to have Java 7 installed for use with VisibleTesla.

On OSX, the package comes bundled with Java 7 so it should run with the bundled Java 7 unless you've changed something.

Thanks for the detail response. This must be something other issue than my version of Java. I have not modified the package. For testing I first did an uninstall of Java 8 from the terminal.
sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefpane
I then tried installing the last version of Java 7, 7u79. No luck, I see the app logo bobs in the dock then disappear.
I uninstalled from terminal again and installed 7u25 to see if it was a specific version of 7. No luck, same problem.
I verified through the Java Control panel that 7u25 is the only version installed. Still, that should not matter because it should be using the version on 7 inside the visabletesla package.
There must be some other reason why the java app won't start.

Thanks for the detail response. This must be something other issue than my version of Java. I have not modified the package. For testing I first did an uninstall of Java 8 from the terminal.
sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefpane
I then tried installing the last version of Java 7, 7u79. No luck, I see the app logo bobs in the dock then disappear.
I uninstalled from terminal again and installed 7u25 to see if it was a specific version of 7. No luck, same problem.
I verified through the Java Control panel that 7u25 is the only version installed. Still, that should not matter because it should be using the version on 7 inside the visabletesla package.
There must be some other reason why the java app won't start.
I have OSX v10.11.1 (El Capitan) and don't have any Java installed.
I downloaded VT 0.50.08 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7045813/VT2/MacApp/VisibleTesla.zip) and it runs with the Java which is included in the package.
It should use the packaged version but might be trying to use your installed version. I don't really know but you might try uninstalling Java from your machine completely which would force it to use the packaged version.

Is there a way to set up a charging schedule on VT so that your charging ends at a specific time? I would like my charging to end at 6:45 am as my electricity costs go up at 7 and, at least in the winter, I want the battery charged as near to my departure time as possible so that the battery is warm to minimize regen limitations.

I guess to do this you would need to know your average charge rate in terms of percentage charge/hour and assume that it is linear. Let's say that I can charge at about 15% per hour. If my car is at 75% and I want it to get to 90% then I want to start it charging at 5:45am - this will get it to 90% around 6:45 and leave my 15 minutes of buffer time in case the charging is a bit slower.

Is this possible with VT?

Is there a way to set up a charging schedule on VT so that your charging ends at a specific time? I would like my charging to end at 6:45 am as my electricity costs go up at 7 and, at least in the winter, I want the battery charged as near to my departure time as possible so that the battery is warm to minimize regen limitations.

I guess to do this you would need to know your average charge rate in terms of percentage charge/hour and assume that it is linear. Let's say that I can charge at about 15% per hour. If my car is at 75% and I want it to get to 90% then I want to start it charging at 5:45am - this will get it to 90% around 6:45 and leave my 15 minutes of buffer time in case the charging is a bit slower.

Yes, it is possible to setup VT so that it stop charging at a specific hours (and day of the week) using the Scheduler.
See attached screenshot below for how it would look for your example, assuming you want to do this every weekday.

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 2.37.44 PM.png

Thanks Marc, that is useful. But it seems to me that this method isn't exactly what I was looking for as I am assuming that I have to also manually determine the Start Charging time.

I want VT to determine the Start Charging time based on being at a 90% SoC at the Stop Charging time. I don't think this does this since I don't see where it asks for your charging rate which would be required to figure this out.

Thanks Marc, that is useful. But it seems to me that this method isn't exactly what I was looking for as I am assuming that I have to also manually determine the Start Charging time.

I want VT to determine the Start Charging time based on being at a 90% SoC at the Stop Charging time. I don't think this does this since I don't see where it asks for your charging rate which would be required to figure this out.

Correct, you need to do the math yourself to figure out when to start charging. VT doesn't know the possible charge rate until the car starts charging.

OR, always plug in as soon as you get home, and if you get to 90% before 6:45am, great. If not, charging will stop at 6:45am.

By the way, you can also change the target SoC in VT as well. In the same Scheduler tab, select the "Charge: Set" command and select the target SoC (50 to 100%). It looks something like this:

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 3.08.25 PM.png

But I don't want to do the math myself as computers are better at math than humans. This is good motivation to figure out how to use the API myself and write my own code to do this.

This is something that many of us have been asking Tesla to give us for quite some time. This and the option to preheat the battery pack.

One issue you will run into if you try to program this is also an issue when you try to compute an accurate charge start time to reach a precise charge end time in your head. And that is when it is extremely cold, the battery will need to heat up some before it will be charging at the normal rate. The rate that it charges as it heats and the length of time before it reaches the normal charge rate is pretty variable, depending on how cold the battery is, and on the air temperature. The bottom line is that I find I have to just guesstimate, leaving some wiggle room if I want to make sure the car reaches my target of 90% when it's cold. This isn't an issue at all in the summer, when I can estimate pretty accurately how long the car will take to charge.

And that is when it is extremely cold, the battery will need to heat up some before it will be charging at the normal rate. The rate that it charges as it heats and the length of time before it reaches the normal charge rate is pretty variable, depending on how cold the battery is, and on the air temperature. The bottom line is that I find I have to just guesstimate, leaving some wiggle room if I want to make sure the car reaches my target of 90% when it's cold. This isn't an issue at all in the summer, when I can estimate pretty accurately how long the car will take to charge.
Presumably you could also make an adjustment from the outside temperature variable as I believe you can read that from the API. It may not be totally linear buy you could approximate it with a linear function, or a step function that kicks in when the temperature is below 0C or whatever threshold. My car is in a garage so it stays a bit warmer than the outdoor air temperature

What I usually do is leave the car set to start charging at 4am. When I plug the car in, VT will tell me how much time the car thinks is needed to reach the SOC that I have set (usually 80%). If the time needed is more than 2 hours (my TOU rates go up at 6am), I will set the scheduler to start at 6am minus the "Time Left" value shown on the charging page. I have set several start times in the scheduler, so I just click one that is close to the time charging should start on that day.

One way to achieve that is to do the charging in two stages.
First tell VT to charge to 80% starting at the time your electricity costs go down (eg midnight)
Then tell VT to start charging to 90% at 5:45am (or whatever start time would allow it to finish at 6:45am)

I use a variation of this when I am about to go on a long trip. Charge to 90% the night before, then start charging to 100% two hours before I need to leave.
That way the battery isn't sitting at 100% any longer than it needs to.
I then use a third scheduled entry to set the charge limit back to 90% the following night so I don't accidentally charge to 100% again.

I just got a new computer (Windows 10) and I downloaded and extracted the program, made the icon on the desktop, click on it, put in my user name and password and I get: "Login Failed - Please check your credentials." I even logged out of the Tesla app on my phone and back in to make sure my email and password were correct. I get in fine on my phone but I can't get into VT on my new computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just got a new computer (Windows 10) and I downloaded and extracted the program, made the icon on the desktop, click on it, put in my user name and password and I get: "Login Failed - Please check your credentials." I even logged out of the Tesla app on my phone and back in to make sure my email and password were correct. I get in fine on my phone but I can't get into VT on my new computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guessing this might help:

This keeps popping up.

There were major changes made by Tesla, requiring major changes to Visible Tesla.

You probably need the version of the software available in this post:

VisibleTesla - Page 174

This post explains the background: VisibleTesla - Page 154