Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guessing this might help:

Thanks Andy!!! You saved the day! I can't tell you how frustrated I was trying to get it to work. I used the link in the first post -- I would have never found that one on page 174!

Even though I am not American, I am really thankful for you today. :)

(PS. I tried to give you rep points but it said I have to spread some more around first before I can give them to you again.)

Thanks Andy!!! You saved the day! I can't tell you how frustrated I was trying to get it to work. I used the link in the first post -- I would have never found that one on page 174!

Even though I am not American, I am really thankful for you today. :)

(PS. I tried to give you rep points but it said I have to spread some more around first before I can give them to you again.)

Glad I was able to help, and that the other version solved your problem!

I've been reading this thread from before I had my car, and then for a long time afterwards there was no version that would work for me, because of the changes Tesla had made. I was very thankful when Joe released the experimental version, and I could run VT for the first time. I figure posting the info quickly whenever I see someone who may benefit from it is the least I can do to give a little back.

I've just started looking more closely at what Visible Tesla is able to do and am really impressed. I see potential to be able to keep solid data of charge and discharge cycles that would otherwise require discipline to record before disconnecting the cord. That alone may prove to be useful to me, but it's only just the beginning of what VT does! :biggrin:

The mapping has me a little confused though. I'm finding that I drive a km or more before data points begin to be recorded... so the map output has a long straight 'as the crow flies' line from my departure to somewhere in route. I assumed it was an issue with sleep... either the car or the app running on the desktop. That took me to the software manual. I learned two things... one, you have to be careful in some areas about inferring the notes refer to car sleep when they might actually refer to app sleep. And two, I don't think sleep is my issue.

I can drive for a few minutes, stop to drop something off, then get back in and drive away... perhaps a minute, two at the most with the car in 'P' and me away from it. The track doesn't show data points when I leave... not until a km or two away.

Is there a setting I'm missing that would correct this?

I can drive for a few minutes, stop to drop something off, then get back in and drive away... perhaps a minute, two at the most with the car in 'P' and me away from it. The track doesn't show data points when I leave... not until a km or two away.

Is there a setting I'm missing that would correct this?

Short answer is no. When not in sleep mode, VisibleTesla polls the Tesla server about once every 4 minutes (in sleep mode it is once every 30 minutes). This limitation is a throttling restriction imposed by Tesla on server access, discussed a length further back in this thread. VisibleTesla only starts streaming data, about once every 2 seconds, once it notices your car is moving. So it is normal to drive for up to 4 minutes before trip streaming starts. Note that turning off the car (put in park and get out) disables streaming, so briefly leaving the car puts you back in the 4 minute polling regime. That appears to explain your experience with gaps in the streaming data.

Note that you can easily check this by exporting the streaming data (File/Export streaming data). You will see all the data records with time stamps that VisibleTesla has received from the Tesla server.

Short answer is no. When not in sleep mode, VisibleTesla polls the Tesla server about once every 4 minutes (in sleep mode it is once every 30 minutes). This limitation is a throttling restriction imposed by Tesla on server access, discussed a length further back in this thread. VisibleTesla only starts streaming data, about once every 2 seconds, once it notices your car is moving. So it is normal to drive for up to 4 minutes before trip streaming starts. Note that turning off the car (put in park and get out) disables streaming, so briefly leaving the car puts you back in the 4 minute polling regime. That appears to explain your experience with gaps in the streaming data.
The four minute delay would definitely explain this... thanks!

New Tesla owner here as of yesterday. I downloaded VisibleTesla for Mac (version 0.29.00) and installed it. I am unable to login and am getting a 'remember to use your email address', to login.

I am able to use the Tesla app from my iPhone to monitor status. I'm suspecting that maybe Tesla's servers aren't updated to reflect that I'm available to login via the API yet or something? I've read the FAQ and possible causes and I've probably missed something -- but it's just not working.

Any ideas for me?

New Tesla owner here as of yesterday. I downloaded VisibleTesla for Mac (version 0.29.00) and installed it. I am unable to login and am getting a 'remember to use your email address', to login.

I am able to use the Tesla app from my iPhone to monitor status. I'm suspecting that maybe Tesla's servers aren't updated to reflect that I'm available to login via the API yet or something? I've read the FAQ and possible causes and I've probably missed something -- but it's just not working.

Any ideas for me?

Congratulations and welcome!

Since the original version of VisibleTesla, Tesla made some major changes to the authentication process, which required a major change to VisibleTesla. Joe (VisibleTesla author) explains the background in this post -> VisibleTesla - Page 154

You probably need the version of the software available in this post -> VisibleTesla - Page 174

I had to move my VT from one machine to another and I figured out how to export the data, but how do you import it into the new install? Am I missing something?

As far as I know, there is no way to import the data. However, it may be possible to move the data.

Caution: I am not the author of this program nor have I looked at the source code. I am only responding because the program author has not been active on this forum recently.

VisibleTesla stores the data on the disk. Your first task is to find the data. On Windows, it is in a folder named "VisibleTesla" that is in the My Documents folder. In this folder you will see three files that start with your VIN, eg 5YJSA1H20FF081441. On Windows, for this VIN, the file names would be
  • 5YJSA1H20FF081441.charge.json
  • 5YJSA1H20FF081441.rest.json
  • 5YJSA1H20FF081441.pts.data

Make sure VisibleTesla is not running on either machine at the time you are copying on that machine. Copy the files from the old machine to the new machine in the appropriate folder.

Warning: If you have been running VisibleTesla on the new machine, this process will replace the new data with the old data from the other machine. However, from that point forward any additional data will be saved with your old data. In theory, the files can be merged, but I have not done the tinkering needed describe the process.

The simplest (and safest choice) would be to merge the exported data outside VisibleTesla and proceed with your analysis with the exported data.

I found and fixed the problem. During my OSX install, some of the fonts needed by the jar file were disabled on my system. I discovered this by looking at the contents of the package and running JavaAppLauncher. From the terminal I could see a NullPointerException as the jar file was trying to find and load fonts. Don't know what font was missing but I ran Font Book and enabled all the fonts that were shown as "off". That fixed it for me.

Hello,

My VisibleTesla died since upgrading my Mac from Yosemite to ElCapitan. It starts and crashes after two seconds or so.
I tried re-installing, deleting the data in my Library/Application Support folder etc. etc. all to to avail.
I downloaded the version that the link on VisibleTesla Release Notes points to (called "Mac App download") but i can' see which version that is.

I'm basically looking for a Mac version that works on ElCapitan (OS X v10.11.2)

Does anyone have any idea why the last two days Visible Tesla has not been recording my trips, though the application is open on my desktop, and I'm logged in. All other controls work - it just doesn't show the trips I've taken.

I'd try logging out, quitting the app, restarting the app, and logging back in. I've found that occasionally the VT winds up in that state, and when it does, taking the steps I suggested straightens things out.

Any ideas for me?

Newbie also, and have the same problem, trying OSX version 0.28.01, wont login. did you find a way to login?

Welcome to the forums.

Did you read the answer someone posted to the question you just quoted? That answer almost certainly is the answer you are looking for.

Here is essentially the same one:

This keeps popping up.

There were major changes made by Tesla, requiring major changes to Visible Tesla.

You probably need the version of the software available in this post:

VisibleTesla - Page 174

This post explains the background: VisibleTesla - Page 154

Small bug:

I don't keep the application open; rather I open it, look at or do something, then close it. When I want to turn on the HVAC, I open it, it logs me in, I click the HVAC tab, and then click the On button. The On button highlights and the Off button unhighlights; an animated white circular activity indicator appears briefly at the bottom left of the window; then after a short interval it appears briefly again; then the On button unhighlights and the Off button highlights -- i.e., HVAC turns off. I click On again and it stays on, with (at least in wintertime) right-pointing red arrows indicating that heat is on.

Summary: On must be clicked twice with an interval of two or three seconds between in order to turn heat on.

Both the Tesla and Remote S mobile apps operate as expected to turn HVAC on.

NEVER MIND --- restarted the app and now it shows....
just installed the latest version on windows. everything seems fine exception the location does not show map at all. Anything special I have to do to see the google map?
thanks!

Last edited:
Visible Tesla shutting down Tesla App?

Welcome to the forums.

Did you read the answer someone posted to the question you just quoted? That answer almost certainly is the answer you are looking for.

Here is essentially the same one:

Excited to try the Visible Tesla app as per your link above for Mac.

On downloading, I am concerned about the multiple warnings about possible damage to the Tesla app and even battery charge capacity. I understand the liability reasons for the warnings but has anyone actually had any permanent problems to the vehicle software/hardware or Tesla app software after using Visible Tesla?

I have not seen anyone post any issues other than not being able to login on the app using the original version.

Would like to know before I login. My main reason for using Visible Tesla will be for the HVAC Scheduling.

Thanks.

On downloading, I am concerned about the multiple warnings about possible damage to the Tesla app and even battery charge capacity. I understand the liability reasons for the warnings but has anyone actually had any permanent problems to the vehicle software/hardware or Tesla app software after using Visible Tesla?

I've been using VisibleTesla since June without any issues with the Tesla App or anything else. I normally keep the allow sleeping option enabled except when I want to monitor charging or some trip outside my routine. That puts a very low load on Tesla's servers and I also don't want to fill my disk data that I will never use. Note that you can enable/disable the sleeping option from the scheduler as well, so it is all pretty easy.