Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, have an appointment with Tesla SC Monday to upgrade firmware. The technician I spoke with on the phone also claimed there were issues outside Tesla's control, related to the 3G provider Telenor in Norway. So hopefully they'll figure everything out on Monday.

Finally! After a visit to the service centre yesterday, and after the technician had two failed attemtps at upgrading firmware, they started admitting it must be something wrong on Tesla's side. Superb service though, he even gave me a ring me after the service centre closed to inform me that he had found the cause: apparently my car was registered both on Teslas developer and regular servers, and hence it was impossible to connect to the car.

This morning VisibleTesla connected fine. Yay, what a nice piece of software!

Thanks so much everyone for following up.

Finally! After a visit to the service centre yesterday, and after the technician had two failed attemtps at upgrading firmware, they started admitting it must be something wrong on Tesla's side. Superb service though, he even gave me a ring me after the service centre closed to inform me that he had found the cause: apparently my car was registered both on Teslas developer and regular servers, and hence it was impossible to connect to the car.

This morning VisibleTesla connected fine. Yay, what a nice piece of software!

Thanks so much everyone for following up.

Excellent! I'm very glad it's working. Being registered on dev and production servers hasn't come up before this. Thanks for sharing the information.

If you'd like to try an experiment, you can use the CMD prompt to CD to your VisibleTesla folder and then type the following command:

java -Xmx1500m -jar VisibleTesla.jar

This runs the application but tells the system to provide more memory (1.5GB in this example). When I tried this in Windows it worked just fine. With your data set it appears that the actual memory used stabilizes at about 500MB, but it grows larger than that temporarily.

I ran using the command line command you gave me. here are the results.
java -Xmx1500m -jar VisibleTesla.jar
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for object heap
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
I did a quick check and found this.
-Xmxn
Specify the maximum size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool. This value must a multiple of 1024 greater than 2MB. Append the letter k or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate megabytes. The default value is 64MB.
I then cut the memory to 1024m.
java" -Xmx1024m -jar VisibleTesla.jar
Oct 29, 2013 11:33:08 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.MainController$DoLogin
run
INFO: Vehicle Info: {"color":null,"display_name":null,"id":405,"option_codes":"MS01,RENA,TM00,DRLH,PF00,BT85,PMSS,RFPO,WT21,IPMB,IDOG,TR00,SU01,SC01,TP01,AU01,CH01,HP01,PA00,PS01,AD02,X020,X025,X001,X003,X007,X011,X013","state":"online","tokens":[],"user_id":579,"vehicle_id":999999999,"vin":"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"}

Looks like it is running.

I ran using the command line command you gave me. here are the results.

Looks like it is running.

Glad to hear it. I've done some memory profiling and I don't believe I'm leaking any substantial amounts of memory in my code. It appears that the graphics library is allocating tons of memory for these graphs. It also allocates and discards lots of objects so garbage collection runs frequently. At this point I don't think I'll try to do much more about it. I'm hoping that either (a) a future version of JavaFX will be substantially more efficient, or (b) a future version of JavaFX will allow me to use one of the more robust graphing libraries (Like JFreeChart) that scale much better to data sets of this size (which isn't that big in the grand scheme of things). I'm pretty sure the latter will happen, I'm doubtful that the former will happen. The one other easy thing I can think of is to allow people to control how much data is loaded (e.g. only load the last month's worth of data) to keep down the data size. Another option is that if months and months of data are loaded, have an option to downsample it. That is, you only get 10 minute resolution or something like that.

Love the app!

Thanks!

Now's your chance to try the "Check for Updates" mechanism

If you're running version 0.21.00 you can try out the "Help->Check for Updates" menu item. It should find a new minor release and present you with a dialog box. From there you can read the release notes and download the latest version.

I added the beginnings of a Preferences tab. It has a section for general preferences and an area specific to preferences for each tab. It's completely empty except for one setting for the Graphs tab that allows you to specify how much data should be loaded at startup: the last 7, 14, or 30 days, the current week, the current month, or all.

Please let me know if you have any problems with the "Check for Updates" mechanism.

If you're running version 0.21.00 you can try out the "Help->Check for Updates" menu item. It should find a new minor release and present you with a dialog box. From there you can read the release notes and download the latest version.

I added the beginnings of a Preferences tab. It has a section for general preferences and an area specific to preferences for each tab. It's completely empty except for one setting for the Graphs tab that allows you to specify how much data should be loaded at startup: the last 7, 14, or 30 days, the current week, the current month, or all.

Please let me know if you have any problems with the "Check for Updates" mechanism.

I just tested the check for updates and it worked perfectly. I've been using you program for a couple of months now w/o any issues. Currently using it on two Win7 PC's.
Received the upgrade prompt to 5.6 yesterday and executed the upgrade last night. I'm using your latest revision (21.01) now to monitor my MS. No problems to report.

Sorry folks. The broken link to v0.21.00 is fixed.

Please note that a new minor release is available (v0.21.01).

- - - Updated - - -

I just tested the check for updates and it worked perfectly. I've been using you program for a couple of months now w/o any issues. Currently using it on two Win7 PC's.
Received the upgrade prompt to 5.6 yesterday and executed the upgrade last night. I'm using your latest revision (21.01) now to monitor my MS. No problems to report.

Excellent. Thank you Techlead.

Looking for some volunteers

I am modifying VisibleTesla to store its data files in a separate folder. In particular, the statistics file that is used by the graphs tab and the cookies file used by the login process. Right now they are stored in the application folder and every time you update the app, you need to manually copy them to the new app folder. By placing them in a separate directory, you'll be able to update the app without this manual step. You'll still be able to store them in the app folder if you want to. It will be a preference setting.

The folder in which these files are stored is system dependent:
  • Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/VisibleTesla
  • Windows: <USER_NAME>\My Documents\VisibleTesla
  • Linux: ~/.VisibleTesla

It's a little trickier on Windows, but the VisibleTesla folder used to store the application files will be stored in some variant of the "My Documents" folder based on the version of Windows, the language being used, and some other factors.

I am testing the Mac version on a couple of my machines. I'll test one version of Windows and one version of Linux. I'm looking for another volunteer on Windows and Linux to try out a pre-release version for me.

For new users it's easy. The app will choose to store its files outside of the application folder and they'll never have to think about it. For existing users you need to launch the app twice to have it automatically transfer your files to the new location.

The first time you launch the app it will notice that there is no setting for this preference and it will set it to the default. You can quit the app as soon as it finishes logging you in. Now just relaunch it. On the second launch it will create the new folder and copy the files over. This is a one-time thing and never has to be repeated. If for some reason you want to go back to storing the files in the app folder, you need to copy them back manually.

If you'd be willing to try this out for me on Windows or Linux, please let me know and I'll send you a download link to try out. I'm particularly interested in Windows users whose system language is set to something other than English (this will cause the "My Documents" folder name to be localized).

Once this gets some testing, I'll release it more broadly as version 0.21.02. This is the next small step in making updates easier. VisibleTesla will check for new versions once a week (or when you select "Help->Check for Updates") and allow you to download a newer version. Just unzip it and double click the app to run it. No need to copy files around.

I should have something ready to test by tomorrow.

Could I request that you give the option of where the data is stored? I am thrilled with my implementation of your awesome software:
I have Visible Tesla stored in my DropBox folder structure allowing me to access it from both my Windows Work machine as well as all my Macs with minimal effort.
Thanks!

Could I request that you give the option of where the data is stored? I am thrilled with my implementation of your awesome software:
I have Visible Tesla stored in my DropBox folder structure allowing me to access it from both my Windows Work machine as well as all my Macs with minimal effort.
Thanks!

Hi stsanford,

I'm a dropbox user too and I started going down that path but decided to try and simplify things and remove opportunities for user errors.

With the current implementation there are two ways to continue to use Dropbox.
  1. Just leave the files in the app folder. Everything will work just as it does now. Of course this has the downside that you have to manually copy the files during each upgrade.
  2. Use the external folder (the new default option) and use symbolic links on the Mac and MKLINK on Windows to store the folder within Dropbox. If you're not familiar with this approach, take a look at "15 Hacks Every Dropbox User Should Know". Scroll down to the section titled "Use Symbolic Links to Unlock Dropbox’s Potential".

The second option is quite useful for any files or folders that have prescribed locations, but which you want to use with dropbox. Let me know what you think.

Hi stsanford,

I'm a dropbox user too and I started going down that path but decided to try and simplify things and remove opportunities for user errors.

The second option is quite useful for any files or folders that have prescribed locations, but which you want to use with dropbox. Let me know what you think.

I thought that there was some issue with using symbolic links and dropbox. If it's safe to do ,I'll be happy to do that <G>

Thanks,
Scott

I thought that there was some issue with using symbolic links and dropbox. If it's safe to do ,I'll be happy to do that <G>

Thanks,
Scott

You're right Scott. Dropbox does have some problems with symbolic links. If you have symlinks within your Dropbox folder you can get into some trouble.

The good thing about this approach is that the real folder is in your Dropbox folder. Dropbox doesn't know or care that there is a symbolic link from that folder out into the system somewhere else.

If there are other VT users out there that are also Dropbox users, please let me know if this is a palatable solution.

If you'd be willing to try this out for me on Windows or Linux, please let me know and I'll send you a download link to try out. I'm particularly interested in Windows users whose system language is set to something other than English (this will cause the "My Documents" folder name to be localized).

Once this gets some testing, I'll release it more broadly as version 0.21.02. This is the next small step in making updates easier. VisibleTesla will check for new versions once a week (or when you select "Help->Check for Updates") and allow you to download a newer version. Just unzip it and double click the app to run it. No need to copy files around.

I should have something ready to test by tomorrow.

I'd be happy to give it a try. English only though. :wink: