Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Just upgraded to 0.25.04, and when re-launching got this (several times):

SleepingTesla.png

Odd... never have had that happen before... I guess I'll go try and wake it up and see what's going on...

--------
UPDATE: I tried waking it from my Android mobile Tesla App, and it woke just fine... then VT was able to see it.

Last edited:
Should the developer read this thread...
May I kindly ask you to also add a "sound notification" so that my speakers can alert me when I am not in front of my computer (to read the notification mail) ?
As I am currently encountering sporadic charging problems, I would appreciate to get alerted when my car is no more charging up :'(
This would be very useful when this problem occurs while sleeping... ;)

I tried searching but the question is kind of weird so I didn't get much of anywhere. How does VisibleTesla determine how often to capture location data? I left it running on the Location tab today, and at the beginning of my first trip the points were very close together. Then as the day wheres on, you can see the points getting further apart in time. I wasn't home, so I didn't change tabs or anything, and the route was essentially round-trip so it doesn't seem to be speed-dependant.

Any ideas?

I tried searching but the question is kind of weird so I didn't get much of anywhere. How does VisibleTesla determine how often to capture location data? I left it running on the Location tab today, and at the beginning of my first trip the points were very close together. Then as the day wheres on, you can see the points getting further apart in time. I wasn't home, so I didn't change tabs or anything, and the route was essentially round-trip so it doesn't seem to be speed-dependant.

Any ideas?

Hi Gizmotoy,

There is a bit about this in the documentation here: Other Topics

VisibleTesla collects information in a couple of different places and at a couple of different rates depending on the situation. Unless the app is asleep, it will collect location and other data every two minutes. If it notices that your car is in motion when it collects data, it will increase the refresh rate to once every 30 seconds.

If you're on the location tab it collects location information every 30 seconds. If it notices that your car is moving, it will go into "streaming" mode if possible. In that mode it collects data even more frequently.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

Should the developer read this thread...
May I kindly ask you to also add a "sound notification" so that my speakers can alert me when I am not in front of my computer (to read the notification mail) ?
As I am currently encountering sporadic charging problems, I would appreciate to get alerted when my car is no more charging up :'(
This would be very useful when this problem occurs while sleeping... ;)

Hello xav1976,

I am the developer and I have a suggestion for you. Many mobile phone carriers have an email-to-sms gateway service. For example, customers using AT&T in the US can have email messages routed to their phone by sending to [email protected] where 1234567890 is their mobile phone number. If you specify such an address as the email address for notifications, you can have your phone ring or buzz you when a notification occurs.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. Just upgraded to 0.25.04, and when re-launching got this (several times):

View attachment 42078

Odd... never have had that happen before... I guess I'll go try and wake it up and see what's going on...

--------
UPDATE: I tried waking it from my Android mobile Tesla App, and it woke just fine... then VT was able to see it.

Hi scaesare,

When VT starts up the first thing it does is log in. That process doesn't require communicating with your car. Once it finishes logging in, it tries to collect some basic information from the car. If your car is asleep, it will try waking it repeatedly and then will ultimately give up if it can't connect.

Do you happen to have the visibletesla.log handy from the failed session?

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

I really appreciate the new versions of this app, particularly the [MapIt] function with graphs showing the trip profile and the ability to schedule activities.
However, the one thing I can no longer do is export stats or location data. It all shows up in the trips and graphs tabs, but whenever I try to export it all I get is silence.
Anyone else having this problem?

Hi Berkut,

A couple of questions.

First, can you elaborate on "whenever I try to export it all I get is silence"? When you choose "File->Export Stats Data..." does it show you the dialog that asks you to choose a location and file name? If so, does it then show you the dialog to select a date range? I'm trying to determine where exactly in the process it is stopping.

Are you on Windows, Mac, or Linux?

What version of VisibleTesla?

Thanks,
Joe

Hello xav1976,
I am the developer and I have a suggestion for you. Many mobile phone carriers have an email-to-sms gateway service. For example, customers using AT&T in the US can have email messages routed to their phone by sending to [email protected] where 1234567890 is their mobile phone number. If you specify such an address as the email address for notifications, you can have your phone ring or buzz you when a notification occurs.
Joe

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately, this kind of email-to-sms gateway service is generally not free in Europe.
I have just checked my provider website. OK, it does not cost too much (0,075€ per message) but still...
As it happens several times a week, it would save me quite a nice amount at the end of a month or year ;)

Still waiting for the latest firmware to get rid of those charging problems ;-)

Cheers,

Xavier

Hi scaesare,

When VT starts up the first thing it does is log in. That process doesn't require communicating with your car. Once it finishes logging in, it tries to collect some basic information from the car. If your car is asleep, it will try waking it repeatedly and then will ultimately give up if it can't connect.

Do you happen to have the visibletesla.log handy from the failed session?

Joe

For some reason I don't get a log file generated on my machine. I PM'ed you abou tthis a bit ago, but I'm sure you have a day-job. ;)

I suspect it may have something to do with my installing the VT files within the Program Files directory, which Windows imposes some write restrictions on...

All -

I am new to this app (downloaded today) and whenever I try to run the visibletesla.jar file I keep getting this error. I do have the latest 32 & 64 bit versions of Java installed on my windows machine. Any ideas on troubleshooting this issue?

Capture.PNG

Hi Gizmotoy,

There is a bit about this in the documentation here: Other Topics

VisibleTesla collects information in a couple of different places and at a couple of different rates depending on the situation. Unless the app is asleep, it will collect location and other data every two minutes. If it notices that your car is in motion when it collects data, it will increase the refresh rate to once every 30 seconds.

If you're on the location tab it collects location information every 30 seconds. If it notices that your car is moving, it will go into "streaming" mode if possible. In that mode it collects data even more frequently.

Joe

Thanks for the info. Mine seems to be much different than that, though.

When I started the day, it must have been in streaming mode. I was getting points every second or more. Then it must have dropped back to 30 seconds. It looks like a couple trips were made at the 30 second intervals. What governs the switch to/from streaming mode?

My last trip of the day, a 15 mile / 20 minute commute home, had only 11 points, which is similar to the 2 minute interval noted on the Other Topics page.

Is there any way to know when it should be capturing in streaming mode, and when it should be in 30s/2m modes?

All -

I am new to this app (downloaded today) and whenever I try to run the visibletesla.jar file I keep getting this error. I do have the latest 32 & 64 bit versions of Java installed on my windows machine. Any ideas on troubleshooting this issue?

View attachment 42210
Be sure to "extract all" for the entire folder that you download, then run the .jar from the extracted folder.

I was only able to log into the application 1 time today. It didn't work at first (right after I installed the app) so I rebooted my machine. Then I was able to successfully login. Now even rebooting the machine does nothing. I keep getting this error. I also tried logging out of the mobile app and Mytesla on the desktop. Any other ideas?

Capture.PNG

Small nit. When charging 3-phase @13A, the charger power is shown as 3 kW. See the screenshot below.
This should be 9kW. I guess the calculation is done for just one phase....

This is for both 0.25.03 and and 0.25.04

Joe addresses this earlier in the thread... The values are what Tesla reports. He was able to add the 3-phase symbol, but the data from the car only shows one phase worth of power...

Small nit. When charging 3-phase @13A, the charger power is shown as 3 kW. See the screenshot below.

View attachment 42259

How is your car connected to get 3 phase 230V charging? Didnt think this was possible.

And regarding 3 phase. Its not 13Ax222Vx3P but more like X1.73 = 5kw

Though your charge rate clearly tells this is charging by 9KW. i dont understand hehe

Edit: Or is this just 13Ax400Vx1,73=9kw, and Volt in VT is measured between Phase and ground?

Last edited:
How is your car connected to get 3 phase 230V charging? Didnt think this was possible.

And regarding 3 phase. Its not 13Ax222Vx3P but more like X1.73 = 5kw

Though your charge rate clearly tells this is charging by 9KW. i dont understand hehe

This is slight OT, but I am using en 3-phase charging station at home (an EV-BOX). Direct plug-in. Currently limited to 3x13A, but if we can believe Elon, we can expect that to go up to 3x16A (6-8 weeks) as soon as we get a modification to the on-bord charging hardware.

Hello redevries,

Thanks for posting the image. Since I don't have access to a car that supports 3 phase charging, I've only been able to test this in simulation. It's good to see that the detection of 3-phase seems to be working properly as indicated by the appearance of the ③ symbol.

As zbb mentioned, VisibleTesla does not compute any of the figures in this table. It simply displays the readings reported by your car. There has been some disagreement about the proper interpretation of these values in the case of 3 phase charging. I'm afraid I cannot comment authoritatively on this.

Joe

I was only able to log into the application 1 time today. It didn't work at first (right after I installed the app) so I rebooted my machine. Then I was able to successfully login. Now even rebooting the machine does nothing. I keep getting this error. I also tried logging out of the mobile app and Mytesla on the desktop. Any other ideas?

View attachment 42224

Hmm, had the same thing this morning. Tried repeatedly to log in on VT, but got every time the same message as above. Started to read the forum, then tried again after some 5 minutes and presto! I was in and VT is working fine now.
Btw I never put the car in low energy consumption mode.
No idea what caused this; first time for me (version 0.25.02), but my guess is that it's the car or the Tesla servers, not VT.

Curious, could you add a mileage field in notifications, that way one could put in a value and then when it goes over that you would get a notification. Say, for tire rotation or cabin air filter changes.

Hi Jason,

Interesting idea. The way notifications are currently implemented wouldn't work particularly well for this, but I'll add it to the list of requested features and think about alternative implementations.

Joe