Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post on here, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I purchased a Model S P85+ last July and have been using Visible Tesla on my PC with no problems. I recently traded up to a Model S P85D and the Visible Tesla program still sees my old VIN number and not my new VIN. I decided to delete the program from my PC, including the folder Visible Tesla under my documents. I then downloaded Visible Tesla again and reinstalled on the same PC. Now Visible Tesla won't let me log in. I tried installing it on another PC with the same login issue.

My question is how do I get Visible Tesla for my PC to work with my new Tesla Model S P85D? The Tesla ios app works just fine and lets me log in just fine.

The answer is you are probably out of luck.

Your new P85D is probably located on one of the new servers that is blocking access to third party apps. Most owners of new cars have no access to third party apps like Visible Tesla. I too would love access, but don't have it.

Why would the car firmware version cause the API to stop working? It's talking to the Tesla servers, not the car directly. It appears that Tesla is throttling 3rd party access to their API servers. I'd assume that the cars are still in full contact with tesla servers, regardless of firmware version.

I based that on some cars that appear to be "migrated" earlier in the thread, once they got the 6.1 cars or new vehicles like P85D.
There's always a chance I'm wrong however!

For some reason my issue was caused by my account being locked. I went to teslamotors.com and where it notified me. Strange thing was that the app was still working even though the account was locked out from visibletesla and at teslamotors.com. After I reset the password everything visibletesla logged in successfully.

For some reason my issue was caused by my account being locked. I went to teslamotors.com and where it notified me. Strange thing was that the app was still working even though the account was locked out from visibletesla and at teslamotors.com. After I reset the password everything visibletesla logged in successfully.
I don't know the technical details, but for lack of better terminology VT stores an authentication "cookie" that allows login without your password for, I belive, 30 or 45 days. So your account may be locked for new logins, but that "cookie" is still valid. Until you change your password, at which point you must log in via VT again.

I wonder if there are any cars with 6.1 that can access VT?

anyone? 6.1 is the only firmware I haven't had as soon as 'everyone else' around here. looks nice but I might like to be able to use VT over the new nav features and backup lines

As others have posted, the firmware version on the car should not be the issue that determines whether or not you can use Visible Tesla.
so server based? or p85D based? I think I've read most posts here but probably missed some.

Last edited:
anyone? 6.1 is the only firmware I haven't had as soon as 'everyone else' around here. looks nice but I might like to be able to use VT over the new nav features and backup lines

so server based? or p85D based? I think I've read most posts here but probably missed some.

I believe it is server based. Whether or not a user has access seems dependent on what server Tesla has the user set up on. Tesla seems to have some servers locking out third party access, while others are still allowing it.

I will be releasing a new version of VisibleTesla (0.50.00) to github within the next week. Again, this is just a developer release and all of the same disclaimers from my earlier post still apply.

This version uses the new APIs (just like the version that's on github now) and allows me to log in reliably. There are massive changes to the code base so please consider it very experimental.

If you download and build this version please be aware that it uses a new format for data files. It will do a one-time conversion of your old data, and use the new format from that point forward. PLEASE back up your old data files. VisibleTesla doesn't delete the old files, or even write to them, but better safe than sorry. Once you start collecting data in this new format, you can't go back. For example, if switch to a new version next week, collect a weeks worth of data, then go back to an old version of VisibleTesla, there's no way to get that week's worth of data into your old data file.

I may make a pre-built version of the app available for download by non-developers, but only for those who understand the risks involved and want to experiment. It won't be available via VisibleTesla.com or autoupdate from the app due to the reasons described in my earlier post.

FYI, I was locked out again for a few days and couldn't use VT or the iPhone app. Once I was able to get back in, my throttling was effectively gone and I was seeing almost perfect behaviors from Tesla's servers. Over time, the throttling began again. Right now I'm hovering at around an 85% success rate of requests to Tesla's servers. They are throttling me, but not as badly as before. With automatic retries, I'm seeing about a 95% effective success rate. I expect that the longer I use the app, the more I'll be throttled.

Joe