Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I'm using Visible Tesla .28.01 on Windows 7. It had been running fine for since April 2014 until maybe September 2014. It hangs if I click the Graphs tab and I have to kill the javaw.exe task. It also hangs when I try to edit a time of an item on the Scheduler tab. I noticed in the visibletesla-00 log file after trying to edit a Scheduler item, it says "INFO: Malformed stats entry" and then lists some debug info. Any suggestion on what I can do to remedy this? I can post or PM more of the log if needed.

Before I found this log file, I uninstalled and reinstalled Java 7. I also downloaded a fresh copy of the .28 program, thinking maybe a file was corrupted.

Thanks for any help on this--love the program!

-m

Joe, thanks for all the time you put into developing VT.
I've always enjoyed it and it has been a great resource for me.

Folks,

Background
  • Changes in Tesla's servers are incompatible with the current version of VisibleTesla
  • Some users have already been moved to the new servers and VisibleTesla no longer works for them (can't log in). This seems to be mostly in Europe.
  • In addition to changes in the way logging-in and other functions work, the new servers throttle usage.
  • Throttling means that if you use the servers a lot, they eventually start dropping requests to reduce load.
  • Throttling makes the servers appear extremely unreliable and unsuitable for use by apps like VisibleTesla
  • This throttling will impact the operation of your mobile phone app - not just VisibleTesla

Current State:
  • I have updated VisibleTesla to use the new APIs, but due to the server instability, it is very hard for me to test
  • Because of throttling, it will never work as well as before.
  • Because others would experience the same difficulties with VisibleTesla and their mobile app, I have not released the newer version
  • I don't want VisibleTesla to impact the operation of people's mobile app
  • As you know, VisibleTesla is just a spare-time project. That means that there is no one to handle the many user issues that will result with widespread use of the new version.
  • I have released the source code for an updated version to github for developers who want to build their own version of VisibleTesla and take responsibility for its operation

Future:
  • I will release another update to github which further improves the operation of VisibleTesla with the new servers.
  • This new version does not solve any of the problems, it just works around them better.
  • Developers can pick up this new version if they wish to take responsibility for its operation
  • It will still result in degraded operation of your mobile application
  • I will not release a new packaged version of VisibleTesla until and unless there is a way to ensure that it operates well with Tesla's servers

In case you're wondering:

• I have no way of improving / changing the operation of Tesla's servers.
  • Tesla has not provided guidelines to avoid throttling
  • Yes, I have been in contact with Tesla about this. They have been very polite and as helpful as appropriate given that:
    • They have never supported third party use of their servers for apps like VisibleTesla.
    • They built the service for the use by their mobile application.
  • Tesla may or may not ever support third party use of their servers

I wish I had better news, but for the time being it appears that we are approaching the end of the line for VisibleTesla.

Joe

Joe -
Like others, I also really appreciate the functionality that you built into VT -- its been a great tool. I've been using .28.01 for months now and it has been very reliable. Still working for me -- I even rebooted / logged in this morning.

Here's hoping the Tesla starts allowing some 3rd party access -- and starts with VT!

I changed my password, and then both VT and the Chrome plugin stopped :(

Thanks to all the effort you guys have put in, and it's a shame we are at this state.

One thing VT did let you do, which I guess upset Tesla here in the UK at least, was see that they had put in dual chargers into customers that had only ordered singles. Without VT, I would have been oblivious, but I did mention this on the forum, so I apologies if this has swayed TM's decision to crack down on 3rd party apps.

A hastily released OTA software patch capped charge rates, but induced a nasty side-effect with scheduled charging :( (As well as incorrectly capping the wrong cars, and all sorts of other customer services problems TM could do without).

Controlling detailed information about the car to be only known by Tesla not Joe Public would have helped them here, so I can see why they would want to crack down on this :(

If it's any consolation, I'm paying the price too, especially with the Chrome plug-in which I used almost daily to set climate rather than the app. I found it better/more reliable than Tesla's official app on the Android platform!!! :(

Joe -
I'm having an odd issue with .28.01… Its not allowing me to export either Stats or Location data. Clicking the menu items does not bring up a dialog box (but the Vampire Loss item does bring up a box…). Also happens on the Trips tab, the Map It! button works, but the Export It! button does nothing. I'm using the OS X package on Yosemite -- and I reinstalled VT already.

Thoughts? I know the data itself is in the log file, but its not that easy to parse...

Just sharing:
I had to change my password due to some devices not being able to login at all anymore (message "your account has been blocked due to many failed login attempts). Other devices like my iPhone still worked fine (so the account was NOT blocked).
A week later, all other devices lost the ability to login too. This is when i was forced to reset my password. This solved my problem with the blocked account and ALL devices work again...

...but it killed VT on my iMac. Cannot login anymore.
Uninstalled, removed the VisibleTesla Folder from Library/Application Support etc. etc. and re-installed but cannot login anymore. End.

Just sharing:
I had to change my password due to some devices not being able to login at all anymore (message "your account has been blocked due to many failed login attempts). Other devices like my iPhone still worked fine (so the account was NOT blocked).
A week later, all other devices lost the ability to login too. This is when i was forced to reset my password. This solved my problem with the blocked account and ALL devices work again...

...but it killed VT on my iMac. Cannot login anymore.
Uninstalled, removed the VisibleTesla Folder from Library/Application Support etc. etc. and re-installed but cannot login anymore. End.

It's probably your ip they are blocking but usually goes away after 24 hours in my experience...

It's probably your ip they are blocking but usually goes away after 24 hours in my experience...
No, Tesla made some changes. Anyone currently using and logged into VT should stay logged in as long as possible. Once logged out, VT's access is disabled. He won't be able to log back in until Joe/Tesla work something out, if ever.

If you're technically inclined Joe said you can compile the app from Github and it'll work, but it could impact your phone app negatively due to throttling.

In other words, we're in a bad situation, now.

Joe, just trying your app with my new car... help?

I am using a Mac with Yosemite OS... downloads and seems to run fine, but will not let me log in... verified that my log in credentials are correct, and work with the iPhone app.... any ideas on what I can try next?

Rick