Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VisibleTesla on Mac and Windows comes bundled with a version of Java that is known to work. Java 8 is known not to work. On the Mac, VT always use the version of Java that comes with it. On windows you need to follow the steps in the install instructions to put an icon on your desktop. Launching using that icon will use the bundled version of Java. This just requires one extra double click at install time.

--- Update ---

This is a fairly common question so I've updated the FAQ to reflect it. I should've done that sooner.

Last edited:
No matter what version I install, it refuses to log in. I have Windows 8.1

Hello mrElbe,

Take a look at this post to see what's going on. The short story is that you most likely have been moved to Tesla's new servers. The current version of VisibleTesla is incompatible with these new servers. I have a test version of VisibleTesla that works with the new servers, but it causes problems that will also impact your mobile phone app. As a result I haven't published it. I do have a few folks testing it, and I have confirmation that their usage is being restricted by Tesla.

Joe

Hello mrElbe,

Take a look at this post to see what's going on. The short story is that you most likely have been moved to Tesla's new servers. The current version of VisibleTesla is incompatible with these new servers. I have a test version of VisibleTesla that works with the new servers, but it causes problems that will also impact your mobile phone app. As a result I haven't published it. I do have a few folks testing it, and I have confirmation that their usage is being restricted by Tesla.

Joe

Thanks Joe for the explanation.

Ambiguity of ON-OFF switches can be solved by replacing with RADIO BUTTONS !!

1. OverView/ Lock-UnLock

2. HVAC/ On-Off

3. Charge/ Start-Stop

At present it is not logically clear what position these switches are actually IN, thus causing a click or two just to verify, thus server loading for no good reason. Non-geeks might never achieve any mastery of these darned switches. :rolleyes:
--

Ambiguity of ON-OFF switches can be solved by replacing with RADIO BUTTONS !!

1. OverView/ Lock-UnLock

2. HVAC/ On-Off

3. Charge/ Start-Stop

At present it is not logically clear what position these switches are actually IN, thus causing a click or two just to verify, thus server loading for no good reason. Non-geeks might never achieve any mastery of these darned switches. :rolleyes:
--
Hi wycolo,

I wish this was simpler. Let me explain why it is the way it is.

They were radio buttons originally, but in order for them to be radio buttons it requires me to know the current state. Let's use the Lock/Unlock case as an example. You'd like the Lock button to be enabled when the car is unlocked and the Unlock button to be enabled when the car is locked. Doing that would make it clear what your option is (lock an unlocked car or unlock a locked car). Unfortunately, I only know whether the car is locked or not for an instant in time.

When you go to the Overview tab it queries the server and learns whether the car is locked or not (among other things). When you press the refresh button it updates that information. After that, the data can become stale. The car may go from unlocked to locked, but I will still be showing it as locked and only the Lock button would be enabled. It would be great if Tesla sent push notifications so I could keep this stuff in sync, but they don't. In order for me to make radio buttons that always display the right selection, I would have to poll even more causing more traffic to the server.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that this is the best user experience (even within the constraints I just described). I'm just explaining why it is the way it is and why I changed from using radio buttons in the early versions.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

Bit late to this party ... I just tried to install on a Windows machine ... and all I get is Exception error when firing up the .jar file.
What am I doing wrong?

Hi GreenT. It's most likely Java related. Please use the version of Java that comes with VisibleTesla. Check the Getting Started section of the docs or the FAQ for details.

Please also read this post on the likely future of VT.

Joe

When I do an HVAC ON, how long will the car keep the HVAC on for? And if I want to extend this time, can I add a second HVAC ON while it's already on? Or would I need to set it to trigger on after it has completed the first cycle and is currently off?Also, if the car is set to 80% charge limit but I want to schedule it to top up to 90%, do I need to send a charge set as well as a charge start? Or will just a charge start (with 90% option) get the job done?Thanks

When I do an HVAC ON, how long will the car keep the HVAC on for?

It is not documented, but observation seems to be about 15 minutes.

And if I want to extend this time, can I add a second HVAC ON while it's already on? Or would I need to set it to trigger on after it has completed the first cycle and is currently off?

You have to do it after it completes.

Also, if the car is set to 80% charge limit but I want to schedule it to top up to 90%, do I need to send a charge set as well as a charge start? Or will just a charge start (with 90% option) get the job done?Thanks

You can just schedule a Charge Start and specify a charge target. That works the same as if you sent a charge target and then a charge start.

When I do an HVAC ON, how long will the car keep the HVAC on for? And if I want to extend this time, can I add a second HVAC ON while it's already on? Or would I need to set it to trigger on after it has completed the first cycle and is currently off?Also, if the car is set to 80% charge limit but I want to schedule it to top up to 90%, do I need to send a charge set as well as a charge start? Or will just a charge start (with 90% option) get the job done?Thanks

The duration is 30 minutes. If you send a stop HVAC and then a start HVAC again you will restart the 30 minute timer. I do this daily to ensure it is still on when I get in the car in he morning.

I have VT running on a virtual machine at Rackspace, and there's lots of trip data I'd like to export and run locally (and shut down the VM). How can I export the trip data from VT, or where are the data files stored/named? Thanks.

edit: Also, how can I restore that info to a different instance of VT running elsewhere?