Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have VT running on a virtual machine at Rackspace, and there's lots of trip data I'd like to export and run locally (and shut down the VM). How can I export the trip data from VT, or where are the data files stored/named? Thanks.
edit: Also, how can I restore that info to a different instance of VT running elsewhere?

The data location depends on what OS you're running on, it's typically in a subdirectory of your "home" directory

Open the Prefs tab and click "General" then "Advanced" and there will be a button that will show or take you to the location of the data files.
Close VisibleTesla and copy them from your VM to your local machine and you should be good to go.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for providing this software. It is absolutely great, and I only found out about it now after reading about someone else's Tesla road trip, and seeing a pretty comprehensive map of his trip.

I am running it on OS X Yosemite. Is there any chance that you would have the time to upgrade some of the graphics to optimise it for the Retina display? It would definitely be a nice enhancement to the program, and make things look smoother.

Cheers,
You You

I have a working version of 0.29 on my laptop that has always captured trip data properly.

I just installed the same version on another computer and copied over my data folder including the login token. I can get connected properly and control the car properly but over 2 days now it has captured no trips data. I do have that checked in the Prefs tab. Please help if you have any thoughts on this.

I have installed the latest windows version of visibletesla. It won't connect to the car using the exact same data that works with MyTesla logins.
Since the recent Tesla software upgrade my cell phone app is very unreliable. I have spent hours on the phone with Tesla support to no avail.
It seems that resetting the big screen is the only way to make it work. When it does it fails a few hours later. Prior to the software update the
cell app worked about 90% of the time now it fails about 90% of the time. I have a good internet connection in the car when it fails to work.
I have a WiFi link at home and use the cars 3G connection elsewhere. Turning off the WiFi sometimes helps. VisibleTesla looks very interesting
and I am eager to try it but so far I have not had it show any signs of working. I have removed it and reinstalled it and tried it on different computers
to no avail. Does it work with the latest version of car software?

JY

I have installed the latest windows version of visibletesla. It won't connect to the car using the exact same data that works with MyTesla logins.
Since the recent Tesla software upgrade my cell phone app is very unreliable. I have spent hours on the phone with Tesla support to no avail.
It seems that resetting the big screen is the only way to make it work. When it does it fails a few hours later. Prior to the software update the
cell app worked about 90% of the time now it fails about 90% of the time. I have a good internet connection in the car when it fails to work.
I have a WiFi link at home and use the cars 3G connection elsewhere. Turning off the WiFi sometimes helps. VisibleTesla looks very interesting
and I am eager to try it but so far I have not had it show any signs of working. I have removed it and reinstalled it and tried it on different computers
to no avail. Does it work with the latest version of car software?

JY

There's a pretty good chance that the reason Visible Tesla isn't working for you is explained here:

VisibleTesla - Page 154

jpasqua is testing a new version that may resolve the issues, but it currently causes some other problems. You can read through this thread for the details.

There's a pretty good chance that the reason Visible Tesla isn't working for you is explained here:

VisibleTesla - Page 154

jpasqua is testing a new version that may resolve the issues, but it currently causes some other problems. You can read through this thread for the details.

Thanks for the link that does explain a lot.

As a programmer I can fully appreciate the challenge and effort involved in VisibleTesla especially without Tesla support.
It is an extraordinary program.

I hope it comes back one day so I can try it.

JY

Awesome app, should have gotten it much before!

Two questions, probably already answered in the last 1689 posts - forgive me for asking, couldn't find it in the FAQs either.

1) Does the app have to be running 24/7 to save trips (and other data), or is some information stored on Teslas own server? In other words - need I have a Mac Mini, raspberry pie or something running to be notified for instance?

2) Where is the "Donate" button?

As of 1) - in case I don't want to power a computer 24/7 just for this - can it be hosted somewhere as a paid service?

Yes, an instance needs to be running somewhere to logs trips and/or send notifications, etc. if its not running, you get zip. And the Tesla servers don't offer a history dump either, so it has to be running to get anything. That said, I've run it in a VM at rackspace which worked great, although it was about $2 per day for even the most basic Windows server. I could probably do it in a Linux instance for a lot less, I just didn't have the time to set it up.

Yes, an instance needs to be running somewhere to logs trips and/or send notifications, etc. if its not running, you get zip. And the Tesla servers don't offer a history dump either, so it has to be running to get anything. That said, I've run it in a VM at rackspace which worked great, although it was about $2 per day for even the most basic Windows server. I could probably do it in a Linux instance for a lot less, I just didn't have the time to set it up.

So what do people otherwise generally do? I don't have a computer online AND running all the time. Maybe I should, like getting a second hand Mac Mini, with some remote access as well. Would probably serve well as some home control system, now I'
m at it!

So what do people otherwise generally do? I don't have a computer online AND running all the time. Maybe I should, like getting a second hand Mac Mini, with some remote access as well. Would probably serve well as some home control system, now I'
m at it!

That's exactly what I have setup, and the Mac Mini also serves as my main entertainment source since I don't have cable or satellite.
Works pretty well overall, and I've been using AirConnect from my iOS devices to connect to the Mac remotely. From my MacBook I simple do screen sharing via iCloud.

I recently installed 0.28.01 (first installation). Everything seems to be working, except trips are not being logged. What would cause the tool to log everything else, but trips?

Let me know what you find out. I have the same issue after trips were captured properly up to about January 2015. I have tried both Windows 7 and 8 machines with no luck recently.

Awesome app, should have gotten it much before!
Two questions, probably already answered in the last 1689 posts - forgive me for asking, couldn't find it in the FAQs either.
1) Does the app have to be running 24/7 to save trips (and other data), or is some information stored on Teslas own server? In other words - need I have a Mac Mini, raspberry pie or something running to be notified for instance?
2) Where is the "Donate" button?
As of 1) - in case I don't want to power a computer 24/7 just for this - can it be hosted somewhere as a paid service?

No Donate button. jpasqua has posted that VT is at end of life. (with the final beta version code available for download)