Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visual traffic, useless?

MOBB

Sep 18, 2019
Bedfordshire
I’ve got the red, amber and green lines on my nav - my experience so far that it’s usually wrong!

mainly saying traffic is heavy when it isn’t - anyone else agree?

BMW and Peugeot Tom Tom versions in my previous cars have been spot on in comparison, and I thought with the tech of this car it would be as good

not impressed with it (but everything else is great)

JCremonini

Sep 11, 2019
Bucks
It’s not really the ‘tech’ as such but the source it is picking its ‘current’ traffic situation from. I’ve found many incar nav systems are out of date. This is why Waze has such traction - because it uses real time uploaded speeds of the user community to help show traffic build ups.

Reactions: phillcom3

NorfolkMustard

Apr 18, 2019
M3P w/FSD
I’ve got the red, amber and green lines on my nav - my experience so far that it’s usually wrong!

mainly saying traffic is heavy when it isn’t - anyone else agree?

BMW and Peugeot Tom Tom versions in my previous cars have been spot on in comparison, and I thought with the tech of this car it would be as good

not impressed with it (but everything else is great)
It's google maps, which uses a combination of historic trends and real-time traffic info from other google maps and android users

12Pack

Aug 25, 2017
Manchester, UK / SFO, US
I remember reading somewhere that the new Nav engine uses data scoured from Tesla vehicles. If that's indeed the case, the data will only be as good as the last participating Tesla to pass through.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC