Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visualizations are on but cruise control unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cruise control unavailable all of a sudden but the visualizations are still on and displays everything around fine. This is a newer 2022 M3 with a 56xxxEL plate.

I’ve leased an older 2020 16xxxEL before and all autopilot issues were accompanied by visual loss. I’ve never had autopilot loss with the visuals still displaying fine.

Just had this issue today. Submitted a ticket.
I thought maybe because my washer fluid was out, it wouldn't enable because it couldn't clean the cameras if needed. I topped up the washer fluid and it is still happening. Just a message saying "cruise control not available". There are no other active alerts like camera blinded, reduced visibility, etc.
Tried the two button reset and that didn't help either. It's an overcast day so no sunlight washing out the cameras. I'd see a message of that if it was happening.
I haven't attempted to use AP/CC since the last software update until today, so maybe the latest one broke it. Sigh. Always two steps forward, one step back with software. Not just with Tesla, but in general.
I wish Tesla would implement a dumb cruise option with no crash detection or other safeties. Software will never be perfect, it's only as good as the humans programming it, which are never perfect. Even if it was a menu item you had to activate at the start of the drive and kept a persistent icon reminding you that the vehicle won't brake automatically. Similar to the message when you hold the accelerator down a bit during CC.

Update: the next day. CC/AP is back. I didn't do anything. It just sat in the lot at work and was working right away. Very strange.
Often if needed visualizations are missing, AP wont engage. The system needs to see road stripes and markings. If you see the little steering wheel app left corner, then the system sees sufficient markings. If using navigation, tapping the small button next to the cancel navigation button "Arms" the system to navigate on autopilot. Two down presses on the right wheel stalk engages the system.

You can do the equivalent of letting it go to sleep by using the Power Off button in settings. Get out of the car after pressing it, wait 5 minutes, and press the brake pedal to turn the car back on. This will reboot every electronic in the car you have the ability to reboot. If it didn't help, that's a service call.

Also, sometimes recalibrating the cameras can help. That is done in the service menu. Select camera recalibration. Normal drive will recalibrate. If FSDBeta is installed, the basic auto pilot camera calibration will occur before the FSD calibration is compete. You will notice the tiny steering wheel fill in a circle first. Looking under autopilot menu, it will show percentage of calibration for each.

Also, sometimes recalibrating the cameras can help. That is done in the service menu. Select camera recalibration. Normal drive will recalibrate. If FSDBeta is installed, the basic auto pilot camera calibration will occur before the FSD calibration is compete. You will notice the tiny steering wheel fill in a circle first. Looking under autopilot menu, it will show percentage of calibration for each.

Often if needed visualizations are missing, AP wont engage. The system needs to see road stripes and markings. If you see the little steering wheel app left corner, then the system sees sufficient markings. If using navigation, tapping the small button next to the cancel navigation button "Arms" the system to navigate on autopilot. Two down presses on the right wheel stalk engages the system.
That was the weird thing. All visualizations were there, including road lines and a vehicle in front of me.

I am going through this right now. Things I've tried that have not worked:

Rebooting
Letting it sleep overnight
Cleaning all cameras
Calibrating cameras then rebooting

I have a mobile service appointment for tomorrow.

In the meantime, what a pain to drive without AP! I never realized that my hand obscures the speedometer.

I am going through this right now. Things I've tried that have not worked:

Rebooting
Letting it sleep overnight
Cleaning all cameras
Calibrating cameras then rebooting

I have a mobile service appointment for tomorrow.

In the meantime, what a pain to drive without AP! I never realized that my hand obscures the speedometer.
Results from service appointment? I’m having the same issues now and have tried all those things as well.

Results from service appointment? I’m having the same issues now and have tried all those things as well.
Screenshot_20221205-094811_Tesla.jpg

I tried the door solution to no avail, but
I updated to 2022.44.2 this morning and everything started working again.

It must have been something with the last software (2022.40.4.2) because cruise/autopilot was down then entire time I was running it, but as soon as I updated it came back.

Annoying, but I’m just glad it’s back!
Yes, his message says the upgrade was a permanent fix. Maybe you didn't slam the doors hard enough! ;)

Yeah, these things can be stressful and annoying. I'm so used to driving with AP, anything else is a chore. I'd never even realized that my hand on the wheel covers the sped display.