Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands suddenly not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may not be related, but every so often when I press the microphone button, it does not understand any voice command. I have reported this to Tesla mobile service who said that they will put it on the list to replace the microphone (which I don't really think is the issue). To make the system work again I simply reset the MCU and everything is fine until the next time this happens.

I've seen several posts like yours and it makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with mine ? I struggle with mine constantly. Many times the circle just spins for a minute without a prompt, then when I get a prompt my command is only accepted half the time. It does not seem to be related to connectivity because the indicator is showing two or more bars usually.

Do you file a bug report using the voice command (when you are able)? That's something I used to do all the time. I would press the voice command button, and say, "Bug Report: This car rarely hears my voice commands."

Voice command will not work on the 1st try EVER for me since the beginning of 2019. Multiple reboots, multiple software updates, and 2 service visits later and I still have to "warm it up" once before using it. Circle spins for 15 seconds, then times out. Then it will work on the 2nd try. ANNOYING! Thoughts?

My voice command button on my Model X quit working Sunday right after leaving a Tesla Chicago meetup; it worked on the way there. I asked one extremely knowledgeable member what he thought. Reboot--done. Ask for service and they could probably do mobile service. Or, it might work again on its own. Yep, we know that one! (Learned a lot in 5 months of ownership!)
So...here is where I am at. The service app said I have to go to a service center and the local SCs (25 or 30 miles away) first available are mid-December. Scrolled thru SC list to see what else is available and accidentally hit one 60 miles away and it had an appointment in 10 days! Feeling 'lucky' I got one that 'soon', I am afraid to cancel and lose it. Tried to call closer SC but we know how easy that is... Called Tesla support and did numerous reboots, power off's, etc. No help. He then said there was another voice button on the touchscreen--but, whoops, that is only on the M3. The call support person said my ECU is throwing hardware errors but really thought mobile service could handle it so he texted the Service Manager at the preferred SC who thought it could be done mobile but had no sooner time than the far SC. Then he texted the far SC Manager and no response. So he left a message to call me and told me I would hear back in 24 hours--I hope.
HOWEVER...
The MX has made me a much more chill driver, but when an Idiot wouldn't move on a green light and kept blocking my right turn, of course I HONKED and said a choice phrase. Was I shocked when my 'choice' voice command displayed on my instrument panel!!! I also learned the display 'edits' choice words!
So I have retested this observation and if you push on the steering wheel to honk horn just left of the voice command button and it works! But there is no way I can honk at will just to use one useful button. SIGH...

Here's my followup to service on my voice command not working. Numerous calls and 8 days later no return call... After having my Model X at the SC all day I returned when I got the text only to find out they couldn't fix it!!! So they replaced my drive computer to 3.0. The told me that mobile service would fix my voice issue! Only the switches in the steering wheel needed replacement to work fine now. However, when the replaced the computer they broke my glove box hinge and I found the pieces on the floor while mobile service was there: "Fill out a service call"! Not only that I also need to make out another one as I keep getting errors only on the left side that the sensors (pillar, fender and front bumper) are blocked or blinded even in perfect daylight weather! And the car has done some very wacky things the old drive computer didn't.

Similar experience with our 2 year old MS. Voice commands worked fairly well when we got the car. Over time, and as more updates came in, it got worse. It would only seem to hear us half the time, or it would take forever to actually do what we asked even when it did hear us. For the past 3 weeks, voice commands haven't worked at all. I hit the button and nothing. It doesn't even try to listen. The funny thing is, sometimes when I get into the car first thing in the morning it's already listening to me without me having hit anything. Kind of freaky. It's stuck listening until I reboot the car or adjust the HVAC to clear that side of the ICU.

My voice command button on my Model X quit working Sunday right after leaving a Tesla Chicago meetup; it worked on the way there. I asked one extremely knowledgeable member what he thought. Reboot--done. Ask for service and they could probably do mobile service. Or, it might work again on its own. Yep, we know that one! (Learned a lot in 5 months of ownership!)
So...here is where I am at. The service app said I have to go to a service center and the local SCs (25 or 30 miles away) first available are mid-December. Scrolled thru SC list to see what else is available and accidentally hit one 60 miles away and it had an appointment in 10 days! Feeling 'lucky' I got one that 'soon', I am afraid to cancel and lose it. Tried to call closer SC but we know how easy that is... Called Tesla support and did numerous reboots, power off's, etc. No help. He then said there was another voice button on the touchscreen--but, whoops, that is only on the M3. The call support person said my ECU is throwing hardware errors but really thought mobile service could handle it so he texted the Service Manager at the preferred SC who thought it could be done mobile but had no sooner time than the far SC. Then he texted the far SC Manager and no response. So he left a message to call me and told me I would hear back in 24 hours--I hope.
HOWEVER...
The MX has made me a much more chill driver, but when an Idiot wouldn't move on a green light and kept blocking my right turn, of course I HONKED and said a choice phrase. Was I shocked when my 'choice' voice command displayed on my instrument panel!!! I also learned the display 'edits' choice words!
So I have retested this observation and if you push on the steering wheel to honk horn just left of the voice command button and it works! But there is no way I can honk at will just to use one useful button. SIGH...
I just tried the honking thing and it worked. Wasn’t even registering that I was pushing the button until I tried the horn. So frustrating!