Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Anyone suffering issues with voice control? I press the button, green mic icon pops up but logging nothing when I speak, was working fine up until update

software version 2020.36.11
I have had exactly the same issue recently. Voice control was previously working really well for me but in last couple of weeks it has become very hit and miss, seemingly independent of strength of LTE signal. I think it started after installing 2020.36.11 but I can't be sure. I just installed 2020.40.3 and problem still there - press the button, speak and .... nothing happens. Looks like no voice was heard. Strangely enough, I find that if I cancel and then immediately try again, as often as not it works perfectly!? So hit and miss as I said, which is annoying that it has become less reliable. I assume it is an issue with the Tesla servers that provide this service rather than the recent updates but happy to be corrected on this if anyone knows better.

I have had exactly the same issue recently. Voice control was previously working really well for me but in last couple of weeks it has become very hit and miss, seemingly independent of strength of LTE signal. I think it started after installing 2020.36.11 but I can't be sure. I just installed 2020.40.3 and problem still there - press the button, speak and .... nothing happens. Looks like no voice was heard. Strangely enough, I find that if I cancel and then immediately try again, as often as not it works perfectly!? So hit and miss as I said, which is annoying that it has become less reliable. I assume it is an issue with the Tesla servers that provide this service rather than the recent updates but happy to be corrected on this if anyone knows better.
now you mention it, I think you are right.

Hi all

Anyone suffering issues with voice control? I press the button, green mic icon pops up but logging nothing when I speak, was working fine up until update

software version 2020.36.11
Pretty much been like that even since I got my car. Voice control is embarrassingly poor. To be honest I’ve totally given up on voice. For me it’s never faster or more convenient.

I’m on 36.10 but tbh the voice problems go back much further than that.

Much of the time the car hears nothing. Tesla could learn a lot from Amazon on the voice control front.

Because it’s so hit and miss whether or not it works I stopped using it regularly a while ago. I just try it from time to time to see if they’ve improved it!

Yeah, absolutely crap here too. When it hears, it works fine - but it will often hear nothing, sometimes throwing a poor signal error.

I guess we should test it on WiFi and see if it could be a bandwidth issue? I figure there must be a lot of data flowing.

Yeah, absolutely crap here too. When it hears, it works fine - but it will often hear nothing, sometimes throwing a poor signal error.

I guess we should test it on WiFi and see if it could be a bandwidth issue? I figure there must be a lot of data flowing.
Personally I don’t think it’s anything to do with signal. I can sit in my garage on full high speed WiFi and it’s still terrible.

Like Roy I only use it to see if it’s gotten any better. For me, in 3 years it hasn’t.

Reactions: Roy W.
Just thought I'd add this to the mix for 2020.36.11...

The Wipers issue is back too. I had an incident yesterday where I had to do an emergency brake to avoid cleaning up a cyclist (who decided to veer in to the path of the oncoming car travelling at 40ish towards him). I honked my horn (oooerr) at him whilst braking, and then the wipers went in to a frenzy. I tried switching the settings and used the screenwash but to no avail. The only way I got them to stop was by turning them completely off.

Tesla, please fix the bugs in this software update. Please.