Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vote for a Supercharger location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn't exactly clear how legtimate this voting process is or really what impact, if any, it has at all. From from former board member Marco, a lot of the "winning" sites were already well into the planning stage prior to the last vote.

Just on a quick glance there is at least on location on the Spring 2023 voting list already under construction: Port Alberni, BC.

McDermitt, NV has a permit already and is also on the tesla coming soon map despite being available to vote on again here.
I noticed the same with other sites, such as Alamosa, CO. I think it was an option last quarter, but we know a site there has already been permitted.

I don't think Tesla will only be adding Superchargers in the "winning" sites since those will always go to places with larger populations or tourist attractions. Hopefully the Supercharger voting site just gives Tesla an idea of holes in the Supercharging network that need to be filled. For example, I suggested Manhattan, KS about 6 months back. The next quarter, it showed up as an option that people can vote on. It's not going to win the popular vote for North America but it would be a great location for a Supercharger since Manhattan isn't right by an interstate and it has virtually no public EV charging (maybe 5 J1772 stations for 50k+ residents).

Few observations;
  • Destin, Florida was a top 5 location in Q1 2023, but before Q1 2023 voting ended, Tesla picked a Destin location and began the permitting process. It seems like Destin was already going to happen, regardless of the vote. Basically; should Destin really be in the top 5 still, or should the 6th location in Q1 2023 get the award?
  • Kalispell, MT was in the top 5 for Q1 2023, and in Q2 2023 West Glacier is in the top 5. West Glacier is 35 miles from Kalispell. The area is a charger desert, so it is needed; but makes me wonder if really organized groups couldn’t game the system every quarter.

I really enjoy the voting process. I have (2) votes left for Q2 2023; any suggestions for where to vote? I live in Michigan, and the Upper Peninsula could use more chargers - but we’re not really able to muster up enough votes to break top 50. I am debating on voting for either Park City, Kalispell, and Bryce Canyon. While I don’t live near there, I see the gaps and would love to be able to travel there more easily.

Each year, the wife and I spend Memorial Day weekend in Louisville, KY, and then drive up I-65 to the Indy 500. It's a total SC desert. Sure, I can charge in Indianapolis, but after the race it's a mess. We wind up driving up, arriving in Indy around 5am and then charge so that after the race, we can make it back to Louisville. Having a SC somewhere along the way going south on I-65 would definitely help us, as well as all Tesla owners between Indy and Louisville.

Each year, the wife and I spend Memorial Day weekend in Louisville, KY, and then drive up I-65 to the Indy 500. It's a total SC desert. Sure, I can charge in Indianapolis, but after the race it's a mess. We wind up driving up, arriving in Indy around 5am and then charge so that after the race, we can make it back to Louisville. Having a SC somewhere along the way going south on I-65 would definitely help us, as well as all Tesla owners between Indy and Louisville.

Tesla has Columbus, IN on its findus map with "Target opening in Q3 2023".
That would be a Splitter! of 117.8 miles, which is the 32nd largest gap on Interstates in the lower 48.

While I strongly suspect the traffic will be negligible, SC'ers up to Anchorage would be cool.

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 5.25.11 PM.png

While I strongly suspect the traffic will be negligible, SC'ers up to Anchorage would be cool.

View attachment 954743
There's a gap that needs to be traversed but there's now quite a bit of CCS charging between the two.
The major gap is Fort St John, BC to Watson Lake, YT. It's about 550 miles. Then there's CCS that allows summer travel.

Reactions: Genie
Or maybe you were just being impatient:

North American Winners:
  • Gatineau, Quebec
  • Brick Township, New Jersey
  • Bryce Canyon City, Utah
  • Park City, Utah
  • Cherokee, North Carolina
And they added some bonus sites:
  • Ashland, Wisconsin
  • Bergerac, France
  • Bangor, United Kingdom
Yep a watched pot never boils. As soon as I stopped looking they announced it!