Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vredestein Quatrac 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced my OEM 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 with Vredestein Quatrac 5 in August 2020.
The OEM tires have about 32,000 miles on them and were down to 4/32 tread.

I have not noticed any more noise with the Vredestein.

As far as efficiency, my OEM's , always using the aero covers, had a lifetime rating of 240 Wh/mile (long range RWD) over 32,000 miles and 2 years.

So far my Vredestein, using the aero covers, have a 1 month / 700 mile effeciency of 247 Wh/mile or 3% more energy use.
Of course it would be better to have 1 year data, but this is all I have for now, and I live in Florida so don't see much snow.

For me the trade off is worth it to have a tire that costs 1/2 as much as OEM, has the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rating, doesn't have the foam, and offers some curb rash protection as the tire sidewall is slightly wider than the rims. I'm no tire expert, but the Vredestein ride , cornering and braking seem good to me.

I replaced my OEM 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 with Vredestein Quatrac 5 in August 2020.
The OEM tires have about 32,000 miles on them and were down to 4/32 tread.

I have not noticed any more noise with the Vredestein.

As far as efficiency, my OEM's , always using the aero covers, had a lifetime rating of 240 Wh/mile (long range RWD) over 32,000 miles and 2 years.

So far my Vredestein, using the aero covers, have a 1 month / 700 mile effeciency of 247 Wh/mile or 3% more energy use.
Of course it would be better to have 1 year data, but this is all I have for now, and I live in Florida so don't see much snow.

For me the trade off is worth it to have a tire that costs 1/2 as much as OEM, has the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rating, doesn't have the foam, and offers some curb rash protection as the tire sidewall is slightly wider than the rims. I'm no tire expert, but the Vredestein ride , cornering and braking seem good to me.

Thanks- you told me what I was wanting to know.

I have only had mine on the car for about two weeks. They are as quiet if not more quiet than the stock tires. They handle great especially in the wet. I’ve only had light snow but they climbed snow covered hills with zero issues.

Efficiency is still unknown. I did a 15 mile trip out and back with and without climate control. Without climate it was dead one the Tesla trip estimate but I feel that is not enough data to say there is a difference in wh/m.

I have only had mine on the car for about two weeks. They are as quiet if not more quiet than the stock tires. They handle great especially in the wet. I’ve only had light snow but they climbed snow covered hills with zero issues.

Efficiency is still unknown. I did a 15 mile trip out and back with and without climate control. Without climate it was dead one the Tesla trip estimate but I feel that is not enough data to say there is a difference in wh/m.
The efficiency of my Quatrac5 have matched the OEM tires. I was at 245Wh/mile before switching 15months ago, and I'm still at 245Wh/mile. Excellent for a snow-rated tire.

@Ken43, I was wondering if you could share an update to your efficiency with the Quatrac 5's after a year of use. I booked an appointment at Discount Tire to have them installed but I'm concerned about the range loss on my mid range.
I actually reset a trip odom and named it "Vredestein" after tire installation. After 32K miles I have an efficiency of 234 Wh/mile on the Quatrac 5.

Lifetime is 237 Wh/mile. OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 had 240 Wh/mile.

So there has been a 2.5% IMPROVEMENT in efficiency from 240 to 234 after switching from the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 to the Vredestein Quatrac 5.

Perhaps I have taken less long interstate speed trips since switching to Vredestein? Maybe I am just older and driving slower? Hard to know. I'd have to conclude the energy difference is negligible for me at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stach
Noise was ok, I had hoped for a more quiet ride. I have an early model 3 that lacks the sound insulation that the more recent models have. Ride quality and traction excellent. Although i had planned to drive them in snow, due to pandemic, this did not happen, so can't report on that. If a 3 peak mountain snowflake tire is needed another one to consider would be the Crossclimate 2 or the General Altimax 365. From my reading the ALtimax is more efficient and quieter than the crossclimate2.

• Informative
Noise was ok, I had hoped for a more quiet ride. I have an early model 3 that lacks the sound insulation that the more recent models have. Ride quality and traction excellent. Although i had planned to drive them in snow, due to pandemic, this did not happen, so can't report on that. If a 3 peak mountain snowflake tire is needed another one to consider would be the Crossclimate 2 or the General Altimax 365. From my reading the ALtimax is more efficient and quieter than the crossclimate2.
Seems like the biggest issue with the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is that they are discontinued. For some reason, the combination of being inexpensive, low rolling resistance, reasonably good performance, and 3-peak-mountain-snowflake rated just didn't sell well enough to stay in production or have a successor with similar characteristics.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Seems like the biggest issue with the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is that they are discontinued. For some reason, the combination of being inexpensive, low rolling resistance, reasonably good performance, and 3-peak-mountain-snowflake rated just didn't sell well enough to stay in production or have a successor with similar characteristics.
My understanding is that Vredestein replaced the Quatrac 5 with the Quatrac Pro

My Vredestein Quatrac 5 have 2.5yrs and 24k miles on them. Just rotated, and the inner shoulders are wearing, as toe was out of alignment. Come Fall, I'll replace them with either the Michelin CC2 or Quatrac Pro.