Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Let's hope he does not finish like Nikola... bankrupt and alone. Nikola Tesla - Wikipedia

Elon's company is building 1,000 cars per week with an average selling price of around $70,000. As brilliant as Nikoka was, he never had that kind of revenue at his disposal. Elon also has a proven record of being able to grow businesses. Nothing to date would seem to indicate that he will end up bankrupt. Not withstanding the endless stream of pontificating from the naysayers whom he is killing off.

RT

I’ve been expecting this announcement for awhile. I also wrote about Daimler’s announced support for Plug & Charge last April at my website here.

This is today’s news:

Electrify America working with Hubject to add “Plug & Charge” support

Electrify America has contracted with the charging infrastructure support company Hubject to implement support for the “Plug & Charge” mechanism that is a standard part of the CCS charging protocols.

Drivers with a car configured for this new mechanism can charge with the simplicity of a Tesla car at a Supercharger location — just plug in the car and walk away without needing an RFID card or a smartphone app to first start and authenticate the charging session.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I’ve been expecting this announcement for awhile. I also wrote about Daimler’s announced support for Plug & Charge last April at my website here.

This is today’s news:

Electrify America working with Hubject to add “Plug & Charge” support

This is likely to some degree to only confuse things more. Note that this requires supporting hardware and software in the car. Some older CCS charging cars do not have the hardware to support this. So some cars may never be able to make use of the PnC capability if I'm interpreting that correctly.

Yea, I'm reading that correctly. Once they upgrade these EA chargers with the new PnC capability I'll bet you a Krispy Kreme donut that they have even more issues than they do now, if not bricking the entire fast charger for good. ;)

RT

Last edited:
Once they upgrade these EA chargers with the new PnC capability I'll bet you a Krispy Kreme donut that they have even more issues than they do now, if not bricking the entire fast charger for good. ;)
I’ll bet the updates won’t be “bricking the entire fast charger for good” but not for Krispy Kreme. Maybe Dunkin’.

From a recent review of the I-Pace by Electrek: Fred Lambert on TwitterTwitter

I wonder on which side the problem exists.
Good question.

I don’t doubt that Fred had some kind of difficulty charging there although he never mentioned calling the Electrify America “1-800” help number posted on the station and left the impression that he didn’t think to look up the site on PlugShare where the 50 kW charger power limitations are clearly documented —this is a community metro charging site, not a highway charging site.

It’s my opinion, but I don’t fully trust his narrative on this issue. He seems to have sensationalized things a bit.

Before writing his Electrek I-PACE review article, he tweeted about his problems charging the car at that Electrify America site to his personal Twitter account:

677ABE2A-369A-4028-A4D4-9CBFAE17EA7F.jpeg

In another tweet he said:

ED322954-52F9-49CB-AA38-7AAD717BF0AC.jpeg

That makes it sound to me like he was somewhere rural with no other fast or even slow charging opportunities nearby or along the way back home.

He didn’t identify the specific Electrify America site, either on his personal tweets or in his I-PACE review article, but he tweeted a photo which confirms the actual location. I’ve charged there myself in my Bolt EV.

I pointed out in a reply to his tweet about “we could have been screwed... [but] we can actually make it back home with 50 miles of range” that there was a 30A J1772 dispenser at the site as well and the nearest other 50 kW CCS charger (a ChargePoint unit) was less than 2 miles away and there were 2 EVgo locations with different 50 kW charger hardware less than 5 miles away.

Although he never mentioned where this event happened, it’s metro LA — he was surrounded by CCS chargers — but he pretended or at least left the impression that he would have been screwed except that he had more than 50 miles of range left in the battery and home was closer than that.

Whew, just barely made it home!!! :)

His charging troubles were actually at the Country Hills Shopping Center in Torrance, California as indicated on this PlugShare map below (the closest other 50 kW charger is so close that it is hidden by the “Country Hills Shoppi...” pop-up location label) :)

The orange icons indicate CCS fast charging sites nearby.

20AE15E5-E709-483C-8C0D-D1032BC73705.jpeg

When I pointed out to him on Twitter that this was a fake charging crisis of sorts he was unhappy and banned me from his twitter feed.

F553F918-33B5-4F55-AB17-21899A6FEDBD.jpeg

This isn’t specific to Electrify America but it hits them hard since all of their 150+ kW CCS cables come from the same supplier with the safety issue.

CCS liquid-cooled charging cable safety issue causes sudden widespread service shutdowns

Electrify America has just announced it is shutting down the large majority of its charging services due to a safety issue related to the charging cables it uses.

The press release issued this afternoon lists charging services that remain open that use conventional cables for 50 kW CHAdeMO and CCS charging.

I’ve updated the article this morning.

European charging providers like Ionity and Fastned have also taken their cables out of service.

It’s looking now like it may have been a single cable failure at a private testing lab that for some reason was still using a prototype cable of an older design not used for the final production cables installed at public charging locations.

Just a guess — maybe they were testing the old design and the new design side by side under stricter/tougher testing standards? I really don’t know.

Cable maker Huber+Suhner issues an update on the liquid-cooled CCS cable safety issue.

Huber+Suhner issues statement on liquid-cooled charging cable safety issue

Liquid-cooled charger cable maker Huber+Suhner says a short-circuit in an older prototype CCS connector is the cause of a world-wide shutdown of 150+ kW charging sites.

The shutdown has disabled CCS charging at all of Electrify America’s highway charging locations in the United States and has disabled some chargers that are part of the Ionity and Fastned networks in Europe. Scattered shutdowns have occurred at other sites and charging providers as well.

Unsurprisingly, Porsche (VW Group) is leveraging Electrify America as part of their marketing campaign for the Taycan.

https://electricrevs.com/2019/01/28...ill-get-free-ultra-fast-charging-for-3-years/

Echoing early Tesla Model S marketing techniques, Porsche says customers of its forthcoming Taycan sports sedan will receive free unlimited charging at rates of near 350 kW at Electrify America sites for the first three years of ownership when it arrives at US dealers in late 2019.

Altogether, that amounts to about 420 charging locations across the US capable of charging at the Taycan’s peak rate out of the combined 670 or more Electrify America and Porsche dealer charging sites initially planned. Some 500 to 600 locations in total should support charging at 150 kW rates when including the community charging sites. The free charging sessions are limited to 30 minute intervals but drivers charging at the fastest rates may only need to stay for 15 minutes or less.

Porsche’s key rival, Tesla, has just over 600 Supercharger locations in the US today with likely many more by the end of 2019. Tesla’s sites are spread more evenly across the country and have two to three times as many charging spaces per location with a few sites now capable of charging 40 cars at a time. More charging spaces at each location implies less impact when some charging spaces are offline due to equipment failures.

Actually, very disappointing... VW is rewarded again for their bad behavior. :cool:

Porsche Taycan owners will get three years of free charging on Electrify America’s network

Electrek’s Take
That’s actually disappointing. It feels like a step back from having their own network. Porsche’s previous plans felt like the most significant effort in fast-charging from an automaker since Tesla’s Supercharger network. Instead, they are going to rely on a third-party network.

Though it happens that the third-party network is owned by their parent company. What it shows really is that CARB and the EPA forcing Volkswagen to spend their settlement money on Electrify America is not really a “punishment” for Dieselgate. They are just using it for their own charging network.

Actually, very disappointing... VW is rewarded again for their bad behavior. :cool:

Porsche Taycan owners will get three years of free charging on Electrify America’s network

Electrek’s Take
That’s actually disappointing. It feels like a step back from having their own network. Porsche’s previous plans felt like the most significant effort in fast-charging from an automaker since Tesla’s Supercharger network. Instead, they are going to rely on a third-party network.

Though it happens that the third-party network is owned by their parent company. What it shows really is that CARB and the EPA forcing Volkswagen to spend their settlement money on Electrify America is not really a “punishment” for Dieselgate. They are just using it for their own charging network.
I think the point was to speed up the adoption of EVs and VW has responded. They had to hit them over the head hard but it worked.
I doubt the free charging will be paid from the settlement money.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I really dislike being put in a position where it even might appear as though I am defending VW but I don't think your criticism is fair since all CCS cars ( and maybe even a CHAdeMO or three) can use the EA network. Contrast e.g. with the Tesla Supercharger network in Europe that is also migrating to CCS but will only charge Tesla cars.

Cable maker Huber+Suhner issues an update on the liquid-cooled CCS cable safety issue.

Huber+Suhner issues statement on liquid-cooled charging cable safety issue

After further testing the final production cables are being put back into service.

Huber+Suhner revokes safety warning, Electrify America reactivates charging cables

A major supplier of liquid-cooled high power charging cables said today that intensive testing has re-confirmed the safety of its charging cables installed at dozens of locations in Europe and the United States. As a result, major public charging providers are now restoring those 150 kW and 350 kW cables back into service.

Dutch charging provider Fastned has already re-enabled its Huber+Suhner charging cables and other providers including Electrify America are expected to do the same.

“The safety of our customers is our highest priority. Extensive testing throughout the weekend and Monday showed that the cables have met all industry standards for use, and as a result, we are bringing our entire network back to full capacity,” said Giovanni Palazzo, president and CEO of Electrify America. “We thank our customers for their patience as we worked through this, as well as HUBER+SUHNER for making this their top priority and resolving the issue with speed and the highest levels of technical expertise and professionalism.”

Electrek’s Take
Jeff’s Take
Fred failed to read between the lines of Porsche’s earlier press releases.

Porsche’s previous statements did not explicitly call-out Electrify America as providing most of the hundreds of charging locations that Taycan drivers could expect to use but it wasn’t hard to surmise that this would be the case.

Well duh. CARB has said as much themselves.

The punishment was meted out in the form of many billions of dollars in other fines and repair and buyback orders. I’ve lost count of the final amount but I think it’s well over $10 billion in the US and they are now having to pay out in settlements in other countries.

For example, as part of Appendix D of the CARB and EPA settlement VW has had to contribute $2.9 billion into an EPA environmental trust fund that will be used to fund grants to state and local government agencies. That counts as a punishment since VW doesn’t control that money.

However, Appendix C which funds Electrify America is not a punishment. It is coerced investment with some minimal oversight controls to ensure the money gets spent on zero carbon emission infrastructure. But, it is VW spending on VW-owned infrastructure. It can be part of VW’s overall business plan but it has to be open to drivers of all cars and cannot be branded as VW. Although the charging must be standards-based and non-proprietary they are not required to equally support both CHAdeMO and CCS and they don’t.

In my opinion, this is ultimately good because encourages VW to spend the money effectively (or at least what they think is effective) as a way of supporting the marketing of their cars against Tesla and others. This has been part of encouraging VW to make a real business commitment to competing for EV sales rather than just more low-sales minimal “compliance”.