Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait 3 more months for 2015 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LolRick makes a good point :

I put off my purchase for a year, and sure enough the prices increased. Tesla did announce it ahead of time, so I wasn't surprised by it.
In the 12 months I waited, no new substantial features were added.
So I paid more for the car, and more importantly, didn't get to drive the car for a year.

I think waiting is not a bad idea if you can stand it. However, I would recommend discussing this with a Tesla sales person. Ask them to please let you know if any price increases are coming. I was on the fence in the summer of 2013 and my salesperson very nicely informed me a few days before 8/1/2013 that if I were really serious, I might want to put the deposit down. I did on 7/31 and a new series of options changes and price increases came out 8/1. I was then able to choose between the two, or canceling entirely. That saved me a lot of money. Of course, it also forced to me off the fence.

Another option is to order now, and then schedule delivery for January, 2015. That way you do lock in your pricing, but there is the possibility of getting advantageous changes up to the point where the factory is sourcing parts for your car's production. At that point, it's a crap shoot if you can make any further changes.

I know I'm bumping ~1.5 months later, and now it is easier to say "wait". With MS builds into November, any chance of changes brought Q1 '15 could be worth it. Seats are rumored to change. Just about every other maker has perforated/cooled, maybe movable head rests (like MB B-Class?). Maybe parking sensors become standard. Collision alert/assist? If January isn't a typical model year changeover, for Tesla, there is still the reality that 2015 Model X bundles will trickle over to the S at a greater rate than 2014 changes. They just changed a paint color, since the post above. Maybe an interior change is also in the pipe? How about that new dark gray with cocoa brown?

I don't know why anyone would look at the "model year" when reselling a Model S, when Tesla doesn't use model years. If anyone looks at a number at all, it would be the VIN.

A year can mean a $1,000 added to your excise tax bill, depending upon state. That's the one argument I'll make, here, for current/older cars.

How will that financial analysis work out if they raise the prices again?

Option prices are already pushing limits, in my opinion. I don't think Tesla has the room. What are they going to do, make Sirius XM $3,000? They are about to compete with their own depreciating cars. Until about now, new or "inventory", minus the tax-credit, has worked, but 20-50k mile cars are finally beginning to show up more than 2, or 3, at a time.

If you're pre-disposed to a new one, this doesn't matter, but I think others have also been correct to point out that a good number of MS's will be a means to get a MX. What's a car with 5k miles good for, if it isn't the latest greatest thing? Compared to next year, this one has been a seller's market. I'm getting more squimish, for these reasons.

I have bought next model year cars as early as June of prior year. The convention is that most 2015 models will be on the road by September. Agree model year may impact resale a bit, but ain't it ironic that Tesla's no model year approach results in assumed model year that starts later than convention! I got mine December 2012, when 90% of other marque cars at dealers were 2013.

Tesla has always introduced changes when they were ready, not on a model year. For example the Roadster 2.5 came out on July 1, 2010.

Tesla changed the orientation of the dashboard wood grain for all of 2014. I don't think this was random. Rather, I trust it will be a trend that will ease sales rep training, on the "2015 changes". FWIW, I'm sure it won't preclude other mid-year updates.

Do you want to wait an extra 12 months to get your $7500 tax rebate? That's the biggest reason to push for delivery before the end of the year. Frankly, you could probably make a lot more investing that for an extra 12 months than you would make in increased resale value.

Check w/ your state and make sure that any state tax incentives are going to stick around. Here in GA we get an additional $5000 but that was almost scrapped for next year; it only stuck around because the state legislature ran out of time before they could discontinue that incentive.

my understanding is the year of the car is determined when the VIN number is issued. If that is the case, you would have to time it so the Vin is issued in 2015 and then wait for it to be built who knows the wait time then. Also, as mentioned above, you would have to wait until 2016 to receive you tax credit, if they are still available.

my understanding is the year of the car is determined when the VIN number is issued. If that is the case, you would have to time it so the Vin is issued in 2015 and then wait for it to be built who knows the wait time then. Also, as mentioned above, you would have to wait until 2016 to receive you tax credit, if they are still available.

I just learned this is incorrect. I was told the year of the vehicle is determined when it hits the assembly line, usually a week or two before delivery.