Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for 82 kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prospective buyer of used car in 3 years from now will always think 82kWh is MUCH better and will be willing to pay 3-5k more then for 78kWh battery. But for you it will be the same price if you wait one more month

There's nothing in the car that says what battery it has, and the difference is in the range of normal battery degradation. It's not something the average buyer is even going to be aware of.

Reactions: Reeler
I agree that when it comes to optional features this can increase the desirability and therefore price of a used vehicle. Sometimes it is difficult, very expensive or essentially impossible to add a feature after the vehicle leaves the factory. I.e, 1960s muscle cars; some were built in very lower numbers with special engines, options such as fuel injection etc. Today collectors will pay large sums for the surviving examples. Tesla vehicle have fewer factory options than typically offered in the past by automotive manufacturers. LR RWD M3 was a factory option, at one time, but no longer. Will some buyers pay more for a clean example? I'm not sure that an additional 5% of battery capacity will be quantifiable when pricing a used Model 3/Y. Age, mileage, condition and color are probably more important.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I agree that when it comes to optional features this can increase the desirability and therefore price of a used vehicle. Sometimes it is difficult, very expensive or essentially impossible to add a feature after the vehicle leaves the factory. I.e, 1960s muscle cars; some were built in very lower numbers with special engines, options such as fuel injection etc. Today collectors will pay large sums for the surviving examples. Tesla vehicle have fewer factory options than typically offered in the past by automotive manufacturers. LR RWD M3 was a factory option, at one time, but no longer. Will some buyers pay more for a clean example? I'm not sure that an additional 5% of battery capacity will be quantifiable when pricing a used Model 3/Y. Age, mileage, condition and color are probably more important.
Pretty sure drivetrain comes before some of those

82kWh on paper sounds great but in real world miles, we are probably looking at an extra 10 miles or less of highway range over the current 78kWh. I'd never drive down to the last few miles of remaining range before I stop to charge so for me, it's completely negligible. It maybe worth it to some x-country cannon baller to shave a few minutes of charging on their cross country race?

Is there some actual information that the battery will be 82 kWh in a month? If there was concrete proof of that I might wait the month (even though I sold my only car and am now bumming my wife's ).
My SA said in October when I ordered I could take delivery down here in Orange County in December or March.

Is there some actual information that the battery will be 82 kWh in a month? If there was concrete proof of that I might wait the month (even though I sold my only car and am now bumming my wife's ).
My SA said in October when I ordered I could take delivery down here in Orange County in December or March.

There’s some evidence in Tesla’s EPA tests that the MYP already is getting the 82 kWh. But no word from Tesla.

EPA test '20 Model Y LR AWD vs. '21 Model Y LR AWD

'20 range and battery tested higher than '21

2020mY.png
2021mY.png

Manufacturer Test Comments Internal Test results for MY2020 Model Y Long Range AWD. Range determined by using SAE J1634 Multi-cycle test procedure. END-SOC 78498

Manufacturer Test Comments Internal Test results for MY2021 Model Y Long Range AWD. Range determined by using SAE J1634 Multi-cycle test procedure. END-SOC 77702

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X Fan