Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for sport/performance option?

Waiting for sport/performance option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well nothing 100% official of course, but heard back from a Tesla rep that stated it's highly unlikely the S will launch with a sport/performance version. He said there's been talks, but nothing "official".

We're also not likely to see packages/pricing until after the 10/1 event as well.

So this puts things in a weird spot... Go for Performance or Signature?

Well nothing 100% official of course, but heard back from a Tesla rep that stated it's highly unlikely the S will launch with a sport/performance version. He said there's been talks, but nothing "official".

We're also not likely to see packages/pricing until after the 10/1 event as well.

So this puts things in a weird spot... Go for Performance or Signature?

If the sport model really is just a PEM swap or motor swap, hopefully that's something they could offer as an upgrade down the line. Probably not though.

If the sport model really is just a PEM swap or motor swap, hopefully that's something they could offer as an upgrade down the line. Probably not though.

I will start by saying what follows is pure speculation, but I envisioned for the Model S performance model was also going the 4-wheel drive model. I didn't think that a mild current boost from an upgraded PEM/Motor would make much difference (look at Roadster v. Roadster Sport). I figured the best way to get more power out of the car would be to add a second motor where the front axle is. Twice as many engines could mean twice as much power. I'm just speculating with no background in electric motors (other than "baby circuits for engineers" I took in college back in 1986).

It's probably more than a PEM or motor swap. There may be other parts of the car that'd have to beef up to take on the additional strain of the higher torque. That doesn't mean a retro-upgrade might not be possible, but would probably cost more than the sticker price bump of just buying the sport model down the road.

Yeah, 4.4s is a big jump from 5.6s...

They used PEM (and motor?) improvements to get the Roadster (Sport) from 3.9 to 3.7, but over 1s less is a different story.

Not sure I'd agree with this...the Model S is already being engineered & built to state of the art standards.

I'd be surprised if a Model S could not be upraded to include a performance package (retro fit) with a change in software and / or minor changes in hardware...it's the only way to get around the problem of the early adopters agonizing over a "Sig or Performance" decision...why not include the ability to keep all of your (consumer) options open?

Time will tell...

It's probably more than a PEM or motor swap. There may be other parts of the car that'd have to beef up to take on the additional strain of the higher torque. That doesn't mean a retro-upgrade might not be possible, but would probably cost more than the sticker price bump of just buying the sport model down the road.

why not include the ability to keep all of your (consumer) options open?
Cost. There's no point in adding significant cost to the base model to support the small percentage of people that require the sport model.

The question is how "significant" is the cost. Even if it's not a significant materials cost, have they had time to model and engineer the sport solution? If they were going to have the base model capable of handling a sport upgrade, they'd have to know ahead of time to have the parts sourced and ordered, the factory lines setup for it, etc.

Like you said, time will tell, but I can see a variety of reasons why it might be more than a minor change. Not saying it has to be that way, just that I wouldn't be surprised.

Although cost is a factor, I'd side with the opine that the engineering for the Model S is already overbuit from a suspension / torson / rigidity stand point...it has to be as a failure of this nature in the nascent luxury performance EV world is not an option.

Cost. There's no point in adding significant cost to the base model to support the small percentage of people that require the sport model.

The question is how "significant" is the cost. Even if it's not a significant materials cost, have they had time to model and engineer the sport solution? If they were going to have the base model capable of handling a sport upgrade, they'd have to know ahead of time to have the parts sourced and ordered, the factory lines setup for it, etc.

Like you said, time will tell, but I can see a variety of reasons why it might be more than a minor change. Not saying it has to be that way, just that I wouldn't be surprised.

Although cost is a factor, I'd side with the opine that the engineering for the Model S is already overbuit from a suspension / torson / rigidity stand point...it has to be as a failure of this nature in the nascent luxury performance EV world is not an option.
So you think they're going to purposefully overbuild the base model to satisfy the minority of people requiring the sport model? That means they're either A) forced to overcharge base model customers for overbuilt items those customers don't need, thus being less price competitive, or B) eat the additional cost, thus reducing profits. Neither makes much financial sense on their own.

If it makes financial sense to overbuild and eat the cost because they'll make it back on supply chain simplicity, manufacturing simplicity, etc, then it'll happen. If it doesn't, they'll have to create a slightly different model specifically for sport customers. Lacking expertise on auto manufacturing, I really don't know how that'll end up going.

Last edited:
So you think they're going to purposefully overbuild the base model to satisfy the minority of people requiring the sport model? That means they're either A) forced to overcharge base model customers for overbuilt items those customers don't need, thus being less price competitive, or B) eat the additional cost, thus reducing profits. Neither makes much financial sense on their own.

If it makes financial sense to overbuild and eat the cost because they'll make it back on supply chain simplicity, manufacturing simplicity, etc, then it'll happen. If it doesn't, they'll have to create a slightly different model specifically for sport customers. Lacking expertise on auto manufacturing, I really don't know how that'll end up going.

Or, overbuild simply for future expansion. To use my current car as an example, Audi has boosted the HP in the R8 a couple times without any physical changes. I've personally added over 100HP to it, with no issues. In the V10, other than the engine, the major change includes a stronger clutch. It seems manufacturers build cars, detune, then add more to them as the model years go. Not saying this is the absolute case here, but it wouldn't be crazy to think it.

Last edited:
Looking at other / different car models for precedents, sport models often have beefier brakes, 'grippier' sport seats, maybe stiffer suspension, maybe stickier tires, maybe a rear wing. Comparing Roadster Sport to base Roadster it does have a stiffer suspension, stickier tires, and probably could have used some better brakes. Not sure what a Model S sport would have besides more power, but there are some 'upgrades' they might consider.

Looking at other / different car models for precedents, sport models often have beefier brakes, 'grippier' sport seats, maybe stiffer suspension, maybe stickier tires, maybe a rear wing. Comparing Roadster Sport to base Roadster it does have a stiffer suspension, stickier tires, and probably could have used some better brakes. Not sure what a Model S sport would have besides more power, but there are some 'upgrades' they might consider.
I know sport models often have beefier stabilizer bars as well. They often have stronger drive train components too, though with an EV all-in-one motor that doesn't really apply as you'd swap out the entire motor. Which, with the Model S, I think means swapping out the entire rear axle, though that's quite possibly a good thing as it makes for fewer things that would differ between sport vs. regular.