Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for sport/performance option?

Waiting for sport/performance option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is sort-of re-announcing it, or even just confirming that the idea still exists, as they have been talking about it since the beginning.

Anyone get a definitive word if all SIGs would be sports, or only as an option?
Also any details of what exactly is different about a sport?
(e.g., can we 'put to bed' the speculation that Sport would be AWD?)

It is sort-of re-announcing it, or even just confirming that the idea still exists, as they have been talking about it since the beginning.

Anyone get a definitive word if all SIGs would be sports, or only as an option?
Also any details of what exactly is different about a sport?
(e.g., can we 'put to bed' the speculation that Sport would be AWD?)
Well the real news was that it would happen at the start of production. Not some months or years later.
I really doubt all Signature vehicles will be performance, and would guess it's an optional err... option. Probably expensive.
AFAIK it's not AWD. Main difference is more power from the motor and PEM.

Were the test ride models Sports ?

---

By the way, it seems the Sports announcement is the headline for a lot of stories:

Yahoo autos: Tesla Model S - "Will Be Faster Than A Porsche 911"

Charging Point Story: Tesla announces Model S performance version
...The extra oomph is down to a tweaked power inverter - the device that converts direct current from the battery pack to three-phase alternating current for the motor. By amplifying the current passing through it from 900 amps to 1200 amps, extra power is achieved...
Autocar story: Hot Tesla Model S to rival M5 - Autocar.co.uk

Last edited:
TEG they had 2 betas and one engineering car. Pretty sure they weren't sports, but didn't really get the chance to time the sprint. I suspect driving it will provide more insight as to how the car really performs vs riding

TEG they had 2 betas and one engineering car. Pretty sure they weren't sports, but didn't really get the chance to time the sprint. I suspect driving it will provide more insight as to how the car really performs vs riding
I asked that one. Was told that no, the test rides were not sport. I also asked if they had actually built any betas with the sport specs, and he could neither confirm nor deny. (thought that was a bit atrange). This was one of the bodyworks guys. He was pretty excited about it though.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but here's an interview of Elon from yesterday (I believe with the press):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvNEzfiL4_0

Anyway, he mentions that the sport version will only be available on the 300 mile version, not the other two versions. Skip to 3:35 for the part where he talks about it.

Elon Musk said:
Effectively there will be four versions of the car: a 160 mile, ad 230 mile, a 300 mile, and a performance version with the 300 mile pack with enhanced power electronics...

Last edited by a moderator: