Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wait...tires are 1.5k and last 15k miles??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
saw someone mention this in an unrelated thread? seriously? what the heck are people doing that they go through a pair of tires in 15k miles?

Depends on the size of the wheels (for an X that is 20" vs 22"), What height you run the suspension at (lower height tilts the wheels outwards more, wears the inside corner tread but not the outside), how much ludicrous mode / max power launches you do. Where you live (are the roads smooth or rough, hot or cold, flat or hilly).

All kinds of variables. You might make a set last 10x what someone else does if they go for the worst of all possibilities and you go for all the best case possibilities.

The SC said my Continental tires at 15k needed replacement. It was a 60D->75D and ride height was standard and goes low at 55mph. No hard launches etc. Very disappointed. Fortunately they ended up buying back the car so I didn’t have to deal with it.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I'd say, you gotta shop around. And I would add, don't buy from Tesla.

On my first Tesla, the OEM tires lasted 20K. I drive on hilly, curvy mountain roads, local, not much fwy, but I thought it was poor tire life. I looked for a top tire rating, needed good traction when it rains, etc., etc. I bought Michelins. My tire life doubled.

Second Tesla, car came with Michelins. Got 40K, have 30K on second set and expect another 10K. The only difference is the tires. Yes, Michelins cost over a thousand bucks for four, and getting them mounted and balanced is another hundred a tire, so you're right about the price. These are BIG tires, and the X tires are bigger than mine. Make sure you get the max tire life rating.

But -- it's the price you pay for a big hot-rod SUV. I used to buy tires for $30 for my Corolla.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Even when I got my Audi A4 with 19” summer tires they made me sign a disclaimer saying I understood the tires only last 12k miles and cost a ton.

Depending on what kind of tires you have, combined with the sheer weight of these cars, it’s definitely a hidden cost that adds up.

I got 13k out of the factory Michelin tires and I'm on track to get about 17-18k out of the Continental DWS 06 tires that replaced them.

Overall pretty comparable to the mileage I got on my BMW X6M, which had similar weight and driving dynamics. The one plus is a new set of 4 tires cost me $965 installed for the Tesla vs. about $1,300 on the BMW.

Based on the wide variation in tread life that people report, it's pretty obvious that driving habits play a big part. I'll admit that I drive my tires hard, so I really don't have any complaints about the tread life.