Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for Q2 incentives to order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has been very clear hitting the delivery record this quarter is hugely important. Is anyone waiting until later in June to order given there will no doubt be incentives announced? My Mother in Law will be ordering one and I’ve advised her to wait a couple weeks. We’re near the factory so last minute delivery is not an issue.

Elon has been very clear hitting the delivery record this quarter is hugely important. Is anyone waiting until later in June to order given there will no doubt be incentives announced? My Mother in Law will be ordering one and I’ve advised her to wait a couple weeks. We’re near the factory so last minute delivery is not an issue.
I decided not to wait. The concern is that you may not get delivery before the end of June, thus risking the $1875 federal tax credit. Right now there is almost no inventory- and all the people placing orders now will be ahead of your MIL in line. There are many people who have been waiting over a month, so even if she placed an order today, there is no certainty that she'd take delivery prior to July 1. Considering there doesn't seem to be a demand issue, and the only certainty is that you'll lose $1875 by taking delivery on July 1, I just don't see the benefit. Plus, why not order now, and if Elon comes out with some amazing incentive of June 15, you just cancel your order and re-order to get the incentive.

I decided not to wait. The concern is that you may not get delivery before the end of June, thus risking the $1875 federal tax credit. Right now there is almost no inventory- and all the people placing orders now will be ahead of your MIL in line. There are many people who have been waiting over a month, so even if she placed an order today, there is no certainty that she'd take delivery prior to July 1. Considering there doesn't seem to be a demand issue, and the only certainty is that you'll lose $1875 by taking delivery on July 1, I just don't see the benefit. Plus, why not order now, and if Elon comes out with some amazing incentive of June 15, you just cancel your order and re-order to get the incentive.

That’s a good point. Here in the Bay Area though there is still quite a bit of inventory. Even at our local service center there are cars sitting out with “available now” signs on them. Those aren’t even online...

I'm waiting until mid June to order. Tesla will be eager to get as many sold as possible this quarter because it's a make or break kinda thing to show they've recovered from Q1. If they can't deliver before the end of June, I'll just cancel and wait until the end of Q3. I have an S that I'd like to sell and replace with a 3, but I don't really have to so there's no real urgency.

I'm waiting until mid June to order. Tesla will be eager to get as many sold as possible this quarter because it's a make or break kinda thing to show they've recovered from Q1. If they can't deliver before the end of June,
You're ordering mid-June? For NORTH CAROLINA delivery? You have zero chance of getting delivery before the end of June. Unless you're simply not picky about trim, colors, or options -- they might give you an unpopular trim with unpopular colors which they happen to have too many of. Still a low chance.

I'll just cancel and wait until the end of Q3.
You'll do that.

Reactions: EinSV
Is anyone waiting until later in June to order given there will no doubt be incentives announced?
I don't think I'd count on there being incentives to order. From the email that was leaked last week it seems like the bottleneck is production and delivery not sales. So, if you wait and still want delivery by the end of June, you may end up being forced to take an inventory car and may not get the exact configuration you want.

I'm waiting until mid June to order. Tesla will be eager to get as many sold as possible this quarter because it's a make or break kinda thing to show they've recovered from Q1. If they can't deliver before the end of June, I'll just cancel and wait until the end of Q3.
Sales isn't the issue, delivery and production is. It might be different at the end of Q3 but I'd bet the best time for incentive will be wither early in Q3 (when the tax credit gets cut again) or Q1 of 2020 when it goes away entirely.

I don’t recall any significant incentives last December because they were using the pending reduction in tax incentives as their main demand lever. Q1 was different because the remaining $3,750 credit still had a full 3 months remaining. With the credit being cut in half again at the end of the month I see this being the demand lever to drive remaining Q2 sales but if they end up with a lot of cars in inventory I could see them discounting inventory cars, particularly the higher end models. I don’t see them discounting the SR model at all. With SR+ you might get free paint or wheel upgrades.

Unless model 3's are flying off the lots in other countries it seems like there should be some nice incentives come mid-late June. I sure don't see much activity when I've driven past and visited the tesla stores near Chicago. The end of March was crazy but it seems very quiet now.

Unless model 3's are flying off the lots in other countries it seems like there should be some nice incentives come mid-late June. I sure don't see much activity when I've driven past and visited the tesla stores near Chicago. The end of March was crazy but it seems very quiet now.

A week ago there were several standard range plus sitting around the parking lot a the Dublin, CA service center. Each had a sign hanging on the mirror "AVAILABLE NOW".

I was hoping for incentives but now that Europe, China and Australia are looking forward to deliveries, I don't think they'll need to incentivize US sales. Ordered May 21, no VIN yet, so if there are incentives available soon, I'd probably be able to partake, but I doubt it